Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

How much do you feed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much do you feed?

Post  thminis on 10/1/2011, 8:54 pm

I know dogs are like humans where some can eat as much as they want and not gain a pound and others gain weight by thinking about food. I also know some people (though maybe rare in pugs) can successfully free feed. If you're comfortable answering, can I ask how much you guys feed your pugs/dogs?

I'm struggling to find a happy medium for Reggie. Since his diet, he's gone from about 30 lbs, no exercise, maybe between 1-1.5 cups a food daily (closer to one cup) to just under 24 pounds, walks daily some as long as 1 mile, and usually 2/3 cup food, but I think I need to increase it. He's getting naughtier and has started garbage diving (but it also happens on a day I know he's feeling stir crazy and wants a long walk - to which I happily oblige to). I also know as we hit winter in a couple of months (Minnesota winter), I won't be able to exercise him as much.

So I'm asking for a general range. I know all foods are different calories. His food is not a weight control (severe food allergies so we stick with the food I know works), and still could loose a pound or two healthily. I don't want to starve him, but I also don't want to make him fat again! Thanks!

(Oh, and he get's a good amount of small treats daily).

ETA that Reggie is about 7.5 yrs old. And maybe it's obvious, but if you could include the general size/weight of your pug, that'd be most helpful. But I understand if there are some puggies out there who don't want their weights put in print :)
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Re: How much do you feed?

Post  northernwitch on 10/1/2011, 9:10 pm

I have one of each--Tank gains weight walking past the fridge. Hazel can pretty much eat all day and not get fat.

When I fed kibble--Tank got 1/4 cup twice a day of high protein grain free kibble. Hazel got a heaping 1/3 cup twice a day. In raw terms, Tank gets 2.5 ounces per meal and Hazel gets 4 ounces per meal.

I found with those rations, I can be pretty liberal with treats. Tank is 22 to 23 lbs and that is a perfect weight for him. Hazel fluctuates between 16 and 18 lbs.

I've never had a dog that could be free fed. I just seem to attract hogs....Although Lola could probably have been a free feeder if she had been an only dog.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 10/1/2011, 9:16 pm

We have to keep ours at a good weight for various reasons-Sophie's on steroids, Indy's knee, and now Hooli's back. So I'm pretty strict on their feedings, and my vet yells at me if they gain!

That said, their weights are 11.5 (Sophie), 16 (Indy), and about 22.5 (Hooli). They all end up getting around 1/3 c of Honest Kitchen (that's dry measured), twice a day, but Sophie gets a smidge less, and Hooli gets a smidge more (how scientific, I know). LoL. Like Blanche, I found this amount lets me give a reasonable amount of treats. They've all stayed pretty steady.

Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug on 10/1/2011, 9:21 pm

Izzie gets 2 ounces of raw per meal and she is 16.25lbs and about 12.5-13" at the withers, we also go to the field at least twice a week to play agility and she's a fairly high energy gal.

How about adding some low cal veggies to his food to help give him a little more in the tank? Failing that i know dogs that would eat their hearts out and STILL try to dive the garbage (and he might even be doing that because he's feeling more frisky since the weight loss) so you might have to hide the trash or Pug Proof it.
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis on 10/1/2011, 9:26 pm

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I have finally gotten him to eat green beans by boiling them with like a teaspoon of his food wet version. I keep forgetting to make bigger batches. He loves broccoli, but something in my head makes me feel green beans are less calories. Thanks Mandy for the reminder. And I do agree. I think it's his energy coming out that makes him friskier, too!

And yeah, most of the garbage containers in the house are pug proof or up high, but I have two roomies and one didn't grow up with dogs. She's been super great about adapting, though, and loves having Reg around. Luckily my other roommate only throws away papers and such in her garbage.
thminis

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 10/1/2011, 10:18 pm

My guys are both around 17.5 pounds and at a good weight. They both get between 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup 2x day. If they're looking a little scrawny, I do 1/2 cup, and if they're looking a bit plump, it goes back down to 1/3. I'll often do 1/3 cup at one feeding and 1/2 cup at the next.

Since our switch from Natural Balance to The Honest Kitchen, I spend more time at the 1/2 cup stage, and they now vary around 17.5-18 pounds, whereas it used to vary 18-18.5 pounds. I think that may be one of the reasons they like it so much-- they get more! Plus, the same amount dry measured and then rehydrated with water gives them more volume of food than they had on kibble.

And congrats on getting his weight under control! That's a huge improvement!
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 10/1/2011, 10:53 pm

Ichiro is 23 pounds (perfect for him), Skeeter is 20 pounds, and Tobey is 18. They all get a little less than 1/3 cup of THK (dry measured) and then 2-3 tbsp (don't know what ounce that computes to) of raw ground meat / bone / organ. Honestly, THK has been a life saver for us. I did not have to cut back on the amount of food, in fact, like Ginger said, once it's hydrated it is like they get more food. All of my pugs have lost a lot of weight on THK since I switched 2 years ago. Tobey used to be 24 pounds and she's down to 18. Tobey is my pug that will gain weight with any slight food change.

They get at least one treat a day, before I leave for work. I usually buy the Nature's Variety Instinct treats, and I'll also keep fresh fruit, veggies, frozen green beans or chicken hearts in the fridge for treats.

You can give him green beans and pure pumpkin to help him feel more full, which is what I do for all my overweight foster pugs.

Edited to add - if he is getting any carbs in his diet, you may want to work on decreasing those and increasing protein. I see a significant difference by just cutting out carbs and increasing protein levels.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow on 10/1/2011, 11:08 pm

thminis wrote: Since his diet, he's gone from about 30 lbs, no exercise, maybe between 1-1.5 cups a food daily (closer to one cup) to just under 24 pounds,

How long did it take you to:

a) take off the 6 lbs?
b) build up to a mile walk?

I have to get 5 lb off Nellie my foster before she can be spayed. We've been able to work up to a brisk (most times) walk around the block 3 times a day this week (end of week 2) and she's lost .6 lbs. Do you think it will come off faster over time? I feed her about 1/3 c. raw twice a day and rarely treats.

Tina, on the other hand, eats like a German Shepherd - probably 1 - 1/1/2 c. raw every meal and I can still see her ribs sometimes.
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Rallypug on 10/2/2011, 12:21 am

Stubby is the poster Pug for weight loss @ my vet's office. It took me 9 months to take him down from about 22 pounds to his current 16.5. My vet wanted slow and steady so his body could adjust and not crave food so much. He gets Royal Canin Weight Care 30...about 1/2 cup per day. He also gets his My Mighty Wolf treats @ dog class (3X weekly) that are 1.3 calories each. The workouts @ obedience and Rally which both involve jumping have become much easier since his weight loss. He has better stamina and I am not afraid of doing damage to his joints when he lands.

My vet had a look @ the ingredients in the food and said they were as good as any and if he was losing weight and staying healthy she was all for it. On the vet diet food he actually gained weight and the stuff cost a small fortune.
Rallypug

Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis on 10/2/2011, 1:17 am

pugpillow wrote:
thminis wrote: Since his diet, he's gone from about 30 lbs, no exercise, maybe between 1-1.5 cups a food daily (closer to one cup) to just under 24 pounds,

How long did it take you to:

a) take off the 6 lbs?
b) build up to a mile walk?

I have to get 5 lb off Nellie my foster before she can be spayed. We've been able to work up to a brisk (most times) walk around the block 3 times a day this week (end of week 2) and she's lost .6 lbs. Do you think it will come off faster over time? I feed her about 1/3 c. raw twice a day and rarely treats.

Tina, on the other hand, eats like a German Shepherd - probably 1 - 1/1/2 c. raw every meal and I can still see her ribs sometimes.

My vet prefers weight loss at about 1% of body weight per week, but I've seen some people be okay between .5%-2%. Reggie has been a little above the 1% at some points, but usually at about 1%. So unfortunately, if Nellie was 28.5lbs, 5 lbs is l7.5% of her body weight. If you aimed for 1.5% a week, that's about 11.5 weeks at 1.5% body weight loss or 17.5 weeks at 1%. I think it would be weighing the risk/benefits of risking taking the weight off too quickly or doing it more slowly and wait to spay her. I know it's hard because a lot of general practice vets don't know extensive amounts about nutrition.

As for the walks, I know from the past that Reggie has been able to walk a mile, but in cool weather, he hadn't recently, and pretty darn slowly at the end. I'd say, because of the heat, for the first month we did multiple walks a day for about 5-10 minutes. Then the next month we moved up to longer walks daily like 15 minutes. Now we do short walks if I'm crammed for time (or I make the poor guy run for a bit lol - he hates it), walks between .5-.8 miles, or a couple walks a week that are 1.0-1.4 miles. I really honestly was able to judge by Reggie. If the walk is a little more strenuous, towards the end, his tail will uncurl. Do you have any hydrotherapy facilities where Nellie could swim for exercise? Also, I started Reggie on glucosamine immediately since he's been overweight for so long.

Rallypug wrote:Stubby is the poster Pug for weight loss @ my vet's office. It took me 9 months to take him down from about 22 pounds to his current 16.5. My vet wanted slow and steady so his body could adjust and not crave food so much. He gets Royal Canin Weight Care 30...about 1/2 cup per day. He also gets his My Mighty Wolf treats @ dog class (3X weekly) that are 1.3 calories each. The workouts @ obedience and Rally which both involve jumping have become much easier since his weight loss. He has better stamina and I am not afraid of doing damage to his joints when he lands.

My vet had a look @ the ingredients in the food and said they were as good as any and if he was losing weight and staying healthy she was all for it. On the vet diet food he actually gained weight and the stuff cost a small fortune.

I do wish Reggie had lost weight a little slower, but he went from literally no exercise to daily walked, and the pounds dropped off (more quickly in the last couple of months). I also wasn't able to 100% guarantee how much Reggie was eating at my parents' house. They would never tell me because they knew how mad it made me that they grossly overfed him. The hunger is also a goofy factor because he's been on low dose Prednisolone for allergies. But I've been monitoring his weight loss with his vet, so it's been okay.
thminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy on 10/2/2011, 4:43 am

Toddy weighs 7kg (well, just under after his recent exploits) and gets 100g of kibble per day plus some fish and a few treats.

Snifter weighs 9.5kg and gets 120g of kibble per day plus some fish and a few treats. He was getting 140g but went up to 10kg which was a tad high so I reduced his rations, much to his rage.

(Sorry for the metric, haven't time to convert just now)
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow on 10/2/2011, 7:55 am

Thanks for the info.

While I agree slow weight loss is best, no way I'm waiting any longer than I have to to get her spayed. First, we need her out and adopted to make room for another foster since we're getting slammed with intake requests. And I don't want her going into heat if possible. The vet did say that he'd settle for a 3 lb loss if we can't make the 5 lb. soon enough. But then we have to put a condition in her adoption contract to get to a target weight and I'd rather avoid that if we can.

Fortunately the cooler weather now is conducive to mid-day walks so we can increase the number of daily walks. As to hydrotherapy, we have nothing close by and I just dismantled our own pool for the season because it's too cold now.
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy on 10/2/2011, 5:29 pm

Aggy gets 1/3 cup dry mixed with a heaping teaspoon canned and 1/3 cup water twice a day. Izzy gets a heaping 1/3 cup mixed with 1 teaspoon coconut oil and 1/3 cup water twice a day. And they each get about 4 treats daily.
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 10/3/2011, 12:22 pm

Marlee weighs 14.5 pounds. She gets 1/4 cup of Taste of the Wild grain-free kibble and a heaping teaspoon of ToTW canned (we rotate through all the flavor varieties) twice a day. This allows her to get quite a few treats while we're at work -- the volunteers give nitrate-free hot dogs to the shelter dogs, and love to give Marlee the "leftovers." Shocked

Her treats at home (for pottying outside, mainly) are Charlee Bears. I love how small they are.
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 10/3/2011, 2:16 pm

Penny gets 1/8 cup of Taste of the Wild with a goodly blop (yeah, not precise, I know) of pumpkin and plain fat free greek yogurt twice a day. She gets about 1/4 cup a day in her Bobalot and a treat (the kind varies, but usually 1 or 2 small treats) when we come in from pottying or walkies. She weighs about 21-22 lbs. I also hide her pills (glucosamine, rimadyl or tramadol, and benadryl, or Pennydryl as I call it) in a large tbsp of cheese or Wellness 90% salmon twice a day.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top