Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Arched back and "bucking" like a horse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arched back and "bucking" like a horse

Post  Newsie96 on 10/6/2011, 9:33 am

Hello all. I need your thoughts on something that happens with Murphy from time to time, and has happened twice this week.

Sometimws when he gets up, he arches his back and starts sort of bucking like a bronco. It lasts about 10-15 seconds. I mentioned it to my vet once and he told me to get it on video. That hasn't happened yet.

Has anyone else had this happen? Also, Murphy has had a handful of seizures in the past but none in at least a year. (Knock on wood.)
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Re: Arched back and "bucking" like a horse

Post  Snifter&Toddy on 10/6/2011, 9:38 am

Hmm. Snifter does something that sounds very much like that, but only in the park when he sees a dog he doesn't like the look of.
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom on 10/6/2011, 9:40 am

Is it different than the "bucking" that they do after they poop-when they sort of kick-back like they're trying to cover it up?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 10/6/2011, 11:21 am

Yes. It's like he has no control over himself.
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 10/6/2011, 12:25 pm

We had a rescue pug, Mooch, who did this. He was very, very old though. We found that it was blown discs in his back.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 10/6/2011, 2:45 pm

Oh, Sam, no advice, just huge hugs and prayers for Murph-man that it is something fixable.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 10/6/2011, 2:57 pm

Renee wrote:We had a rescue pug, Mooch, who did this. He was very, very old though. We found that it was blown discs in his back.
Wink

How often did he do it?
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 10/6/2011, 3:17 pm

Well, he was always arched, and when ever someone touched his back, and would do that bucking motion. But, he had numerous blown discs, not just one.

We were able to diagnose it with an x-ray.

This is extreme though, and it may not be what Murphy has, so please don't freak out!
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 10/6/2011, 8:26 pm

Peachy's seizures were like this. The first time I didn't realize it was a seizure because she fell forward and then went limp and lost control of her bladder. The other two started mid-back and was bucking. Peachy lost control of her bladder with all three. She had three in one week, but hasn't had any since starting the pheno (knock on wood). Her seizures started on Memorial Day.

Thinking of you and Murph.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 10/7/2011, 5:26 pm

Other than this he's ok. He was even itching last night and looked like some sort of contortionist. He wasn't in pain. And then he and Duke were really rough housing and all was well.

We're in Vermont this weekend for our anniversary and a friend is staying at our house. I didn't tell him about it because I already made him a basket case with all of my detailed instructions. (You all know how that is.)

I may give my new vet a call and see what he says.
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 10/8/2011, 3:22 pm

OMG! Has it been a year?!?! Happy anniversary, and many many more for two people who were made for each other. And please let us know what Murph's dogtor says.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  FurSprinklers on 10/8/2011, 3:43 pm

Yoda does that sometimes when he gets up. Then he shakes it off.... Kinda like he has a tickle or itch down his back. I'll go over and scratch his back all up and down, and he is still bucking to help scratch the itches away... lol
FurSprinklers

Number of posts : 675

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 10/8/2011, 4:04 pm

Hope it's nothing serious. And happy anniversary!
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 10/17/2011, 9:02 am

He hasn't had any episodes in the past week. Duke however has been on chicken and rice because of diarrhea. Never a dull moment.
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash on 10/17/2011, 11:51 am

could it be when he is.. um.. passing gas?
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 11/2/2011, 3:00 pm

ayleash wrote:could it be when he is.. um.. passing gas?

I definitely know when it's gas. He has done it twice this week. Once for me and once when Jeff had him out. Ugh. I hope my vet has power soon so we can go.
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

@Samantha

Post  ocnside on 12/1/2011, 10:56 am

Sorry...I hope everything is ok, I am a new puggie owner and came to this site bc you all are experts and experienced puggie owners but I have not heard that action yet...

Julian is only 16 weeks and has had a number of breathing issues...Good luck, let us know what the vet says

Melissa
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 12/1/2011, 8:33 pm

Funny this thread just popped back up because Peachy just had another one of her seizures like this. She hadn't had any since the end of May, and starting her phenobarb. To tell you the truth, I was getting a little cocky because she hasn't had one since. Luckily, I was standing there, so I was able to stablize her hips so she didn't splay her legs and pull and muscle in her groin like the last time and was able to move her out of her puddle of pee. The boys were pretty good, because it happened as I was getting the dinner ready. I put a call in to the vet, and marked it on the calendar. Hopefully this was just a breakthough one.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top