Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

my black pug "Butch"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

my black pug "Butch"

Post  butch's mom on 11/9/2011, 9:20 am

Hi,
Butch has been through a lot and is now about 11 years old. He is without a doubt the sweetest dog I've ever had the pleasure of owning. That said, he is blind, going a bit deaf and within the past month, has reverted back to just sitting more than walking. I live in New York City and as people are usually in more of a rush here, I have had to shorten his walk. I have just chucked it up to old age and the weather being nice, but other dog walkers seem genuinely concerned. He now mostly sits, walks a few steps, and sits some more. What should at most be a fifteen minute walk takes forty-five. Has any body else had to deal with this? Should I be concerned? I don't think it is worth a visit to the vet, but any advice offered Laughing would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Butch's ever so patient Mom.

butch's mom

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: my black pug "Butch"

Post  puglover22 on 11/9/2011, 11:09 am

hello!

i have a couple ideas...my first thought is.....are his nails too long and maybe it's painful to walk?

is he just sitting, or is he maybe trying to drag his butt on the ground? if dragging, maybe his anal glands need to be expressed

it's possible he has arthritis....does he get any supplements? you could try cosequin DS, or glucosamine or something on that order......
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Butch's mom thanks you

Post  butch's mom on 11/9/2011, 11:27 am

Thank you so much for those possible culprits. He is getting a lot slower, so arthritis is a possibility. I always thought I would know if he was in pain, but those supplements are a good idea. He does cry out when nails are attempted to be cut by the vet, but that is also a possibility. No anal gland issues yet, thank goodness.

butch's mom

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 on 11/9/2011, 1:04 pm

I would defiantely start him on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. My old man Gus (+12) has had tremendous improvements since getting him on some meds. He is also taking a pill for pain and inflamation daily also. My pugs have been on a gluco/chond supplement since they were anywhere from 3-5 depending on the dog. Gus is a foster who came to me late in his life, so we have seen him get so much better. If it hurts your boy to walk, them I can see why the short distances before he stops. Nails might be an issue too, as Gus broke or split a nail and had no problems with it in the house or yard, but I could tell on the pavement it bothered him. I know as I age I need the aids of meds and I am sure it will help your boy too. It does take a while for the supplements and even drugs to get into the system, so don't expect an immediate improvement. He may also need a stroger pain pill initially to give everything a chance to kick in.
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 11/9/2011, 2:54 pm

Welcome to PA, by the way. I am owned by a 14-year-old black girl with horrendous arthritis in her hips and knees. I have her on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, as well as pain medication, and it does help. I would ask Butch's dogtor about the nails, too. Please keep us posted on Butch, and we do love pictures (hint, hint).
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 11/9/2011, 5:53 pm

Hi and welcome! You've been given some great advice here. I would definitely have the vet give him a thorough going over, including senior blood panels and urine culture. Even xray his back end. Good luck!
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom on 11/9/2011, 8:38 pm

My eldest pug Buddy has arthritis in his spine and had a couple of really bad bouts of pain last winter. We started him on Nature Made - Triple Flex for humans, 1500 mg glucosamine/800 mg chondroitin/750 mg MSM. He gets one pill a day with dinner. We are crossing our fingers that a year on it will help him this winter! Good luck with your boy!!
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom on 11/15/2011, 11:06 pm

Marci and Nancy, what do you give your pugs for arthritis pain? Aspirin or something else?
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 11/16/2011, 5:30 pm

pugmom wrote:Marci and Nancy, what do you give your pugs for arthritis pain? Aspirin or something else?
Penny was on Rimadyl for a while, and then I moved her to a baby aspirin twice a day. The only problem there is that it can drop her platelet (blood cells necessary for blood clotting) count. Now she's on Tramadol, 5 mg twice a day, and will be going back to Rimadyl when her current issues are over.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 11/16/2011, 5:39 pm

pugmom wrote:Marci and Nancy, what do you give your pugs for arthritis pain? Aspirin or something else?

I have always used rimadyl. My pug Ichiro has not reacted to it, and he gets rimadyl fairly often as he gets back pain.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top