Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Allergies or Self-soothing

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  northernwitch on 12/28/2011, 8:35 pm

RaeMahoney wrote:Got the benadryl today ~ it's only been an hour, so we'll see how it goes. Will hit Tractor Supply for Taste of the Wild tomorrow ~ I had no idea there were so many different kinds. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I use the fish based one--called Pacific stream or something like that. Given that you are starting from scratch here with no idea what he could be reacting to, I'd start with fish based(pacific stream) or lamb (sierra mountain). the others have chicken in them. I'd also watch in case the eggs are an issue. My only issue with TOTW is that it has a lot of ingredients which can make it hard to figure out what's going on if he does still have the itchies.

If he can tolerate rice, the Wellness Simple Solutions are often useful for narrowing down what he can and cannot tolerate. Also, watch what cleaning products you use--especially laundry detergent as they can have allergic effects on dogs as well.
avatar
northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts : 11031
Location : Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  RaeMahoney on 12/28/2011, 9:01 pm

Thank you ma'am! I already use hypo-allergenic cleaning products because I'm weird like that. I will take all your suggestions with me tomorrow and try to narrow it down. By the way, he hasn't scratched once since giving him the Benadryl! I'm so thankful to all who suggested it......I'm just thankful period! Don't like seeing my puppy unhappy!

Oh, I had another question, too! About bathing every 3-4 months versus once every two weeks which is what I do now. He's an indoor dog and I keep his bedding and blankies clean, but he still has a not so pleasant odor after a couple of weeks. My Mom told me about wet-wipes (for animals) in between baths ~ any thoughts?
avatar
RaeMahoney
 
 

Number of posts : 14
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  northernwitch on 12/28/2011, 9:44 pm

RaeMahoney wrote:Thank you ma'am! I already use hypo-allergenic cleaning products because I'm weird like that. I will take all your suggestions with me tomorrow and try to narrow it down. By the way, he hasn't scratched once since giving him the Benadryl! I'm so thankful to all who suggested it......I'm just thankful period! Don't like seeing my puppy unhappy!

Oh, I had another question, too! About bathing every 3-4 months versus once every two weeks which is what I do now. He's an indoor dog and I keep his bedding and blankies clean, but he still has a not so pleasant odor after a couple of weeks. My Mom told me about wet-wipes (for animals) in between baths ~ any thoughts?
My guess is it may be a yeast smell you are getting--kind of like an old gym bag or musty socks? Really common with allergy dogs. Once you get the allergies straightened out, the smell will abate. And dogs just do have some odour to them. the bathing every couple of weeks really won't help with the smell and may make his skin issues worse. If you do need to bathe him for the itchies, then see if you can find Nizoral shampoo for humans. Usually in the with the dandruff shampoos. This will help kill off the yeast as well--again, I'd only use it for the first couple of months and not continue with it for long periods of time.

I have a house full of allergy dogs and have learned all the tricks of dealing with them.
avatar
northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts : 11031
Location : Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  RaeMahoney on 12/28/2011, 9:56 pm

You are now my go-to lady! (Hope ya don't mind?!) And it's really just a dirty dog smell ~ weird thing is, all I have to do is say the word 'bath' and he runs (hauls ass) right to it ~ he'll do it even if I don't say 'bath'.
Thanks again! (Will keep you posted)
avatar
RaeMahoney
 
 

Number of posts : 14
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  northernwitch on 12/28/2011, 10:19 pm

RaeMahoney wrote:You are now my go-to lady! (Hope ya don't mind?!) And it's really just a dirty dog smell ~ weird thing is, all I have to do is say the word 'bath' and he runs (hauls ass) right to it ~ he'll do it even if I don't say 'bath'.
Thanks again! (Will keep you posted)
My bet is it's yeast. And sometimes the frequent bathing increases the dirty dog smell as the body has to work overtime to replace the oils stripped by all the bathing.

I have one pug who is allergic to virtually everything and my shih tzu, now deceased, also had multiple allergies. Start with a food change and we'll go from there.
avatar
northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts : 11031
Location : Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  RaeMahoney on 12/28/2011, 10:25 pm

Awwwwww......sorry about your dog. So, so sorry.
Bear had his last bath ten days ago and I'll wait and see what the new food does.
Thank you again ~ me and Bear are going to bed now! Sweet dreams all!! xoxox
avatar
RaeMahoney
 
 

Number of posts : 14
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  Two Crazy Pugs on 12/29/2011, 12:23 am

Or you can go total elimination. There are some foods out there that are VERY limited. We had Gidget allergy tested after years of not finding the right food. (allergy testing is hit and miss, but I wish we did it earlier.) Since we have a list of food to avoid we do serious label reading. But during our search we found foods with three ingredients in it. It was chicken, rice and something else. We stayed away from it because we wanted total grain-free since she has yeast issues.

We did Taste of the Wild for awhile. My other pug did great on it. Gidget not so much. But Gidget's problems are a different beast. Don't get discouraged if the first food doesn't seem to help and keep a copy of the ingredients for next time you shop so you know what to try to avoid.
avatar
Two Crazy Pugs
 
 

Number of posts : 1295
Location : Las Vegas

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  pugpillow on 12/29/2011, 9:20 am

Although I feed raw to my own dogs, I'm feeding Taste of the Wild Venison & Bison to my foster pug with allergies. I chose that as a "novel protein" - something he had never been exposed to. He's doing well on it.
avatar
pugpillow
 
 

Number of posts : 944
Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  northernwitch on 12/29/2011, 4:07 pm

pugpillow wrote:Although I feed raw to my own dogs, I'm feeding Taste of the Wild Venison & Bison to my foster pug with allergies. I chose that as a "novel protein" - something he had never been exposed to. He's doing well on it.
Like Hilary, my own dogs are mostly raw fed. The only reason I'd be cautious with the Venison and Bison formula of the TOTW is that it does have chicken meal in it--third or fourth ingredient.
avatar
northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts : 11031
Location : Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  pugpillow on 12/29/2011, 5:55 pm

northernwitch wrote:
pugpillow wrote:Although I feed raw to my own dogs, I'm feeding Taste of the Wild Venison & Bison to my foster pug with allergies. I chose that as a "novel protein" - something he had never been exposed to. He's doing well on it.
Like Hilary, my own dogs are mostly raw fed. The only reason I'd be cautious with the Venison and Bison formula of the TOTW is that it does have chicken meal in it--third or fourth ingredient.

Didn't know that - should have read the label.
avatar
pugpillow
 
 

Number of posts : 944
Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  RaeMahoney on 12/29/2011, 8:33 pm

So much information to take in and I thank you all for offering your advice. Bear hasn't been scratching nearly as much as he was ~ thank goodness. And you can see it in his eyes he's relieved. I did buy the TOTW fish-based and have mixed it in with about half of his Iams ~ maybe 1/2 cup total. So far, not interested, but that's not unusual for him. Sometimes he won't eat for two days ~ and I'm not a big treat giver.

Time to be couch potatoes!
avatar
RaeMahoney
 
 

Number of posts : 14
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  Dayna on 12/29/2011, 10:32 pm

Just catching up on this and glad he's getting some relief. My Bear has allergies too as does Annabelle. She is on prescriptive dog food from the vet for her issues. His are more seasonal allergies as he gets itchy when he spends more time in the grass than normal. My Bear is also a weird eater and will skip a meal here and there fairly often but will come around. Hopefully yours will too! Its so difficult seeing them miserable!
avatar
Dayna
 
 

Number of posts : 1600
Location : NW GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  RaeMahoney on 12/30/2011, 12:09 pm

Thank you Dayna!

I wouldn't trade Bear for the world, but wish I had known about pug allergies before getting him so I could have prepared. He was a Mother's Day gift from my son so.....he's mine for life!
avatar
RaeMahoney
 
 

Number of posts : 14
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Allergies or Self-soothing

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum