Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Has anyone tried acupunture for their pug?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone tried acupunture for their pug?

Post  Imon on 12/28/2011, 2:43 pm

Otto's back issues aren't getting better. Given his history of scuffing for his first few years, then stumbling on uneven ground and the compromised reponse to the "turnover test" on his paws, the vet thinks it is a progressive condition that isn't going to get better. We're hoping it doesn't get much worse.

He can't do stairs anymore because he's afraid with the poor coordination of his hind legs - I don't blame him, I'd be afraid on stairs, too, if I couldn't feel my feet or know where they were. So, we carry him if there are stairs, and I'm having a ramp made so he can walk out the door more easily.

There was an article in the paper today about acupuncture and one of the dogs treated sounded as if they had similar problems. I was wondering if it might help, or if anyone had any experience with acupuncture.

I asked our vet and he wasn't all that hopeful about it helping, but he said to try if we wanted to see for certain. I don't yet have a name for Otto's condition - it sounds very much like cerebellar ataxia, which is frightening. We have done x-rays of the spine, and they show some deterioration of the spine, but nothing that would cause this degree of uncoordination.

The prednisone helped a little, but the side effects of peeing all over the house and eating much more than he should make it not desireable to keep him on it indefinitely.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he is quieter, and seems depressed, probably because he can't follow us around as he's always done.

I was hoping someone might have some ideas to share or have dealt with this issue in the past.
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone tried acupunture for their pug?

Post  Cathy on 12/28/2011, 3:40 pm

When Winston was first diagnosed with syringomyelia, the neuro recommened acupuncture for him. We did about 12 sessions before it seemed not to have any effect on him. For a while, he did move about easier, but as I said, it stopped having any effect after about 2 1/2 months. Also, since Winston was in a lot of pain, having to stay still while the needles were in him was hard for him. I had to get down on the floor with him and hold him while the doctor was inserting the needles and then hold him still in my lap for the entire 15 minute session. There were a few places that he just could not tolerate the needles, his feet being the worst.

On another note, don't be afraid of the pred, it has it's good properties as well as the noted ones of constant peeing and increased hunger. Winston was on high, 10mg a day for a 18 lb dog (at the start of the pred) for almost 2 years. Believe it or not, after a while, his body got used to the pred and he stopped peeing nonstop. Hunger on the other hand, well, that never went away. I firmly believe that the pred was the only thing that kept him alive for as long as he lived after diagnosis. He wasn't in pain anymore on the pred and that was a large concern as syringomyelia is an extremely painful disease.

Good luck with Otto, it's so hard watching our babies deteriorate before our eyes.
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 12/28/2011, 3:57 pm

Several people on PA have tried acupuncture on their puggies, but I can't remember who. I'm considering it for Penny.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 on 12/28/2011, 6:01 pm

Here's a thread from awhile back that should be helpful Very Happy

http://www.pugauthority.com/t10050-who-has-done-acupuncture
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon on 12/28/2011, 6:54 pm

Thanks, everyone. That old thread was very helpful, too. I'm just very worried about Otto right now. It's gotten so much worse so quickly. I'll call the vet tomorrow about restarting the pred, and then try to get an early appointment for acupuncture. Even if it doesn't work for him, I'll know I've tried.

It's at the worst when he first gets up after having been lying down for any length of time; once he's moving, he can move (as long as he's on a non-slippery surface) reasonably well, but he needs help to get up initially.

He's only going to be 10, I'm hoping this is something that doesn't progress much more, but I'm very worried that it will. Thanks again.
Imon

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 12/28/2011, 9:42 pm

Imon wrote:Thanks, everyone. That old thread was very helpful, too. I'm just very worried about Otto right now. It's gotten so much worse so quickly. I'll call the vet tomorrow about restarting the pred, and then try to get an early appointment for acupuncture. Even if it doesn't work for him, I'll know I've tried.

It's at the worst when he first gets up after having been lying down for any length of time; once he's moving, he can move (as long as he's on a non-slippery surface) reasonably well, but he needs help to get up initially.

He's only going to be 10, I'm hoping this is something that doesn't progress much more, but I'm very worried that it will. Thanks again.

Linda, I know exactly how you feel. Hooli's only a little over 10, and it's really hurting my heart to see him struggle. Pretty much what we were told is sometimes acupuncture helps, sometimes it doesn't-but for Hooli, it really has (we also do laser treatment). You can tell how much better he feels after, but for us, it's a pain management tool, used in conjunction with pain meds.

We've put rugs all over the downstairs to prevent him from slipping, put ramps, and I also carry up and down the stairs. I hope Otto gets some relief.
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon on 12/29/2011, 12:37 am

Thanks so much, Saira. It helps to know what helped other pugs dealing with this. Hope your little guy gets some relief, too.
Imon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum