Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Spaying A'chi

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spaying A'chi

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 5:14 pm

A'chi, my very spoiled, and very active female Pug, turned four months old on 1 January 2012.

I have never been owned by a female Pug, let alone any female pup. My vet informed me A'chi may begin to go into heat as early as 4 - 6 months.

I cannot tend to puppies where I live, or at this time in my life. I do plan on having A'chi spade as soon as the time is right.

Should I wait until after A'chi has her first heat?

A'chi spends her day sharing the baby-gated kitchen with her 6 year older brother, Bubba. I do own a crate large enough for two Pugs, however, due to the configuration of my kitchen, it would be impossible to place the crate in the kitchen for either A'chi or Bubba. In addition, A'chi cries, fusses, barks, and yelps whenever she is away or separated from Bubba. Bubba is pretty mellow - it's A'chi who "gangsters" Bubba. Bubba, of course, will wrastle with A'chi in a playful manner, and he also gently tries to escape A'chi's puppy antics.

My vet also informed me Bubba's sperm count may be lower now that he is 6 years old, however, his testosterone level is still high enough for him to be attracted to A'chi's female hormones. Bubba is not neutered (yet). As I said, I have never been owned by a female dog, and I do not want A'chi to regularly cycle or have puppies. That is why I am choosing to have A'chi spade in the very near future. A'chis is almost puppy pad trained. The puppy pads, food bowls, and bedding for both Pugs are located in the kitchen, and spaced well apart from each other (to avoid "confusion").

My questions are:

When would be the best time to have A'chi spade without hindering her growth, development, or her safety?

Since I work during the day, and keep both Pugs in the kitchen while I am at work, what would you suggest I do with A'chi and Bubba after A'chi comes home from the vet?

What should I watch for after A'chi is spade?

If you do suggest keeping A'chi separate from Bubba, how can I prevent my upstairs neighbors from hearing (and complaining about) A'chi's barking and crying? I have a wonderful landlord, however, he is very sensitive about neighbors disturbing neighbors with excessive noise.

Will having A'chi spade have any effects on her urinating or eliminating while she is healing?

Should I continue to take A'chi outside with Bubba when I walk the two of them together?

What dietary revisions would you suggest for A'chi while she is healing? She is eating dry puppy kibble at the present time.

Thanks for all of your input!

em

Last edited by elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Re: Spaying A'chi

Post  northernwitch on 1/3/2012, 5:26 pm

Why isn't your male neutered? I'd do that ASAP and then you don't have to sweat spaying her until she is old enough. You can do pediatric spays at 4 months, but I usually wait until a bitch is 6 months old. A spay surgery after the first heat is usually more expensive, if that is an issue for you.

It's possible she could go into heat as young as 4 or 5 months, but it's rare. And I don't know if being in the presence of an intact male encourages early heat cycles.

If the male is healthy and can be neutered, I'd do that immediately. The reality is you have to keep them physically separated when you aren't right there--and I do mean RIGHT THERE as in next to one or the other of the dogs as it doesn't take long for them to breed and if you've never had a bitch before you may not realize she is in heat initially.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:00 pm

I know what I am about to say will meet with diverse and multiple argument. I have owned numerous male dogs in my 52 years on this earth. ALL of my dogs have died from old age, and non-cancerous ailments. None of my pups had to undergo anesthesia or surgery for anything except teeth cleaning. All of my pups except my very first beagle lived to be older than 11 years.

None of my male dogs marked their territory anywhere except outside. All of my male dogs had healthy life-styles, and were never overweight.

In addition, none of my guys ever sired a litter of pups - intentionally or non-intentionally.

Mind you, as I said before, the following will be met with objection. I have never believed in neutering a male dog. That's my personal viewpoint, and it goes along with my not wanting any animal to undergo any surgical procedure unless absolutely necessary.

I have never owned a male and female dog together at the same time. Due to his age, I am extremely apprehensive about having Bubba neutered. I am very wary of Pugs being under any type of anesthesia. I have held my breath and worried incessantly whenever my Pugs' teeth were cleaned.

I have spoken to my vet, and he does agree Bubba should be neutered due to his close contact with A'chi. I do not want A'chi to have puppies when she, herself, is still a puppy.

Some folks tell me it's okay to have a female dog spayed before she begins to cycle. Then, again, some say to wait until after her first cycle, which leaves room for her to become pregnant.

Let's base my questions on the assumption I will have Bubba neutered ASAP. The procedure will have to wait until my next paycheck or two as I am currently undergoing some very expensive dental work which is not fully covered by my dental insurance. I live in a town where both dentists and vets expect full payment when services are rendered. I am taking Bubba and A'chi to an awesome new vet who will want current blood work and anesthesia-compatibility testing done on both Bubba and A'chi (and rightly so).

My questions are still relevant for my Pugs even after Bubba is neutered.

Please advise.

em
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:01 pm

Why is it more expensive to have a female spayed AFTER her first heat?
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:02 pm

Thanks, again for all of your advice.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:08 pm

And I did read the 'Should I breed my Pug?'. The article gave me even more reason to have A'chi spayed, as I was not aware of the risks of breast and uterine cancers.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:09 pm

pug
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 1/3/2012, 6:37 pm

I am glad you decided to have Bubba neutered even though you are against it. Regardless on whether we think it is the healthy thing to do, all it takes is one female in heat outside your home for him to decide to take off someday to find her (dogs can smell a female in heat for miles and you'd be surprised how wily they are at getting away from you). If that happened, he could easily get hit by a car, or get into a fight with a larger male and be seriously injured or killed, or just lost... Shocked The saying is 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

I got Thelma & Louisie (some of my first pugs) spayed when they turned 6-months-old. (BEFORE any heat cycle). Louisie lived to be 13.5 yrs old before lymphatic cancer got her. (Nothing to do with her spaying, just one of those horrible things). Thelma was 15 yrs/8 months old when she died in my arms of a heart attack. Thru-out most of their lives they had no health problems except for Thelma developing some allergies.
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 6:54 pm

Yeah ... being the good Pug momma that I am ...

I broke down and called Dr. Kevin and got a cost breakdown for the Bubbers.

All together, with the procedure, x-rays, blood work, and bordatella shot, the cost would be $240.00. That's the base cost, and does not include 'scripts, or additional care. I also called my previous vet and requested all of Bubba's records be transferred to Dr. K.

How long of a "recovery period" does a male pug require he is neutered ?(castrated - as the vet called it Crying or Very sad )

~~~~~

This is gonna be a rather sensitive question ... How heavy does a female Pug flow while in heat?
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 1/3/2012, 7:02 pm

elisemarie wrote:Yeah ... being the good Pug momma that I am ...

I broke down and called Dr. Kevin and got a cost breakdown for the Bubbers.

All together, with the procedure, x-rays, blood work, and bordatella shot, the cost would be $240.00. That's the base cost, and does not include 'scripts, or additional care. I also called my previous vet and requested all of Bubba's records be transferred to Dr. K.

How long of a "recovery period" does a male pug require he is neutered ?(castrated - as the vet called it Crying or Very sad )

~~~~~

This is gonna be a rather sensitive question ... How heavy does a female Pug flow while in heat?

Not sure about the female question as I spayed my lone female before she went into heat. I don't see any reason to wait to spay until after their first heat.

I also have two boys and fostered a ton of varying ages that had recently been neutered, and it's a fairly routine procedure. They bounce back pretty fast, and the hardest part is keeping them from overdoing it. Usually they tell you to keep them from too much activity for about a week, I think. But mine have all gone back to normal within a day or two.

I always, always advocate spaying and neutering. Way too many animals killed every day (including pugs, and cute puppies and kittens!) to even risk one oops litter-I'm glad you decided on it!
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 1/3/2012, 7:05 pm

I have never believed in neutering a male dog. That's my personal
viewpoint, and it goes along with my not wanting any animal to undergo
any surgical procedure unless absolutely necessary.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion--you're just not going to get a lot of support from a bunch of rescue folks on this. And I do have an intact male in my house who will be used for some limited breeding and then neutered--but he's from one of the top japanese chin breeders in the US and I have a limited breeding contract with her. I would neuter him after breeding because it's better for him overall and is the responsible thing to do. Like your Bubba, my chin doesn't mark or show other behavioural issues related to being intact. But I have no need to keep him intact for life once we've fulfilled our contractual obligations with the breeder. And frankly, I'd have been just as happy to have him neutered and forgo the breeding altogether, but that's not how it worked out and so I'm keeping him intact for the time being. But his intact status severely limits what he can do and where he can go. Intact males are not allowed in any of the dog parks in my city. And he remains at significant risk of dog attack from other males. So in the end, he will have a better life AFTER his testicles are gone.

As to spaying (and it is called spaying or being spayed--not spading) after a heat cycle--it's a more complicated surgery ergo more expensive due to the fact that the dog has now had a cycle and so the uterus is more vascularized.

As to the heaviness of the flow--that varies from female to female. But there will be flow in most instances and will get on everything--and heat cycles last 2 to 3 weeks and you can't spay them for another 4 weeks after the END of the heat cycle.

Glad you decided to neuter and spay.

northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 1/3/2012, 7:36 pm

Glad you're asking questions about spaying and neuturing (it's actually "spay", "spaying" or "spayed", not "spade" or "spading") and are willing to change your views on the subject.

Other than serious medical complications from anesthesia and keeping an entire male for show or breeding (but only breeding a very fine champion that has been genetically tested!), there are really no sound and valid reasons for not neuturing a male. If you can make yours and his life easier, why not do all you can? And neuturing DOES make things easier for you both. Even with having so many entire males that you say never gave you a problem - it's always like that until there IS a problem. And that's usually when you say "if only I had had him neutured".

And as to females - the risks outweigh any excuse by so much it should not even be a question someone asks. Unless the female is a superb champion with no genetic faults, that may be bred no more than 2 or 3 times in her life, there is NO reason for keeping an unspayed female. Besides high risk of breast and uterine cancer, the biggest risk is the potentially fatal pyometra. That happens too often and even if diagnosed before the uterus bursts, the emergency surgery is not often successful and too many bitches die.

It does seem as though we have a convert in you, so that's good!
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

SpaYing A'chi

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 8:11 pm

Typo on the spaDing.

No one converted my decision to have my Pugs "fixed". I was siding toward having A'chi spaYed to take care of both the hormonal and fertility concerns at the same time. I consider myself to be a conscientious and responsible pet owner. The three full-grown black Labs who live across the street from me are forever escaping from their yard and their irresponsible owners. Many a day (mostly early mornings on my way to work) I have lassoed their happy butts and led them back home.

My special needs clients and I volunteer time at the local humane society and the local pound. I live in a very small town where only one floor of each facility is dedicated to abused, discarded, unplanned, and/or unwanted cats and dogs. Gratefully, I have never seen either one of the facilities filled to capacity, and cases of euthanasia are very few and very far between. Case in point - my one friend (who has five puggas - 3 are rescues), also took in a 17 yr. old male, non-neutered Daschund who was deaf and toothless. Frankie lived with my friend (and I) for over a year before he crossed the rainbow bridge.

I used to visit the Chicago Humane Society in the city of Chicago where numerous floors were dedicated to abandoned cats and dogs. It broke my heart to know I could not adopt or rescue all of them.

At 17, I accepted a job as an administrative assistant at Searle Laboratories in Skokie, Illinois. It was, by far, the most heart-wrenching job I have ever accepted. A wing of the Labs was dedicated to human drug research. Beagles were being experimented and tested upon, and you could hear the beagles bark and bay through the corridors of the rest of the building, including the corridors of the area where my office was located.

Ever since then, I have strongly advocated for the protection of domesticated and wild animals, and I strongly promote the spaying and neutering of cats and dogs. All cats and dogs brought to the local shelters here in town are automatically spayed or neutered. Unfortunately, there are still way too many feral felines who roam the streets of my neighborhood. I'm the person who stops her car, gets out, and rounds up every stray dog I encounter.

~~~~~

Back to the topic ...

Last edited by elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 1/3/2012, 8:20 pm

elisemarie wrote:Typo on the spaDing.
You'd be surprised how many people think it IS spade......
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Re: Spading A'chi

Post  Rallypug on 1/3/2012, 8:40 pm

Congratulations on deciding to alter both your dogs. Once the actual operations and recoveries are over none of you will ever even look back. Stubby was neutered @ 10 months just after I got him. He also had both eyes "tucked" and wore his bucket collar for about 2 months while he recovered from the eye surgery. The neuter went fine.

Most of the dogs (both male and female) I show against in dog obedience and rally-o are altered. Some have their championships already and have been speutered (spay/neuter) in order to compete as their handlers see fit without worrying about seasons or getting distracted. IMHO unless the dog/bitch is of outstanding bloodlines, tested for possible genetic problems and temperment it is better off altered. My Pug has proven to be outstanding in the obedience and rally rings but is not of sufficient quality to be bred and pass on his genetic material. He has major breed faults which should not be passed on and yet he has the intelligence and trainability to compete and succeed in a variety of venues. Weighing one against the other I still contend he is better off neutered and being a good example of what Pugs are capable of doing.....
Rallypug

Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 1/3/2012, 8:47 pm

Rallypug wrote:Congratulations on deciding to alter both your dogs. Once the actual operations and recoveries are over none of you will ever even look back. Stubby was neutered @ 10 months just after I got him. He also had both eyes "tucked" and wore his bucket collar for about 2 months while he recovered from the eye surgery. The neuter went fine.

Most of the dogs (both male and female) I show against in dog obedience and rally-o are altered. Some have their championships already and have been speutered (spay/neuter) in order to compete as their handlers see fit without worrying about seasons or getting distracted. IMHO unless the dog/bitch is of outstanding bloodlines, tested for possible genetic problems and temperment it is better off altered. My Pug has proven to be outstanding in the obedience and rally rings but is not of sufficient quality to be bred and pass on his genetic material. He has major breed faults which should not be passed on and yet he has the intelligence and trainability to compete and succeed in a variety of venues. Weighing one against the other I still contend he is better off neutered and being a good example of what Pugs are capable of doing.....
And Stubby is one impressive fellow. And I agree about who should and shouldn't be bred. My chin is not show quality only because he is technically too big--although beautifully conformed and has an outstanding pedigree, clean on all genetic tests, etc. So the breeder felt he was breed worthy in a limited way--i.e. she doesn't need to breed with him as she has her pick of international chins, but another person has two bitches of hers that are breed/show worthy and it's worthy breeding him to one or both of them to see how he studs. However, I'm not interested in any kind of "stud service" business and will be happy to breed him on a trial basis for now, but will be neutering him as soon as I can do so. I haven't done the whole intact breeding male thing in years and years (grew up with my dad breeding danes and dals).
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 1/3/2012, 9:14 pm

elisemarie wrote:I have never believed in neutering a male dog. That's my personal viewpoint, and it goes along with my not wanting any animal to undergo any surgical procedure unless absolutely necessary.

elisemarie wrote:I strongly promote the spaying and neutering of cats and dogs.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but you're greatly contradicting yourself and it's bothering me. You say you won't put your dog through unnecessary surgery and have never believed in neutering a male dog. Then in a subsequent post, you claim to strongly promote the spaying and neutering of cats and dogs. Apparently, that applies to all cats and dogs except your male dog? I cannot see any reason why you wouldn't spay and neuter all of your pets - unless your pug has other health concerns, a routine spay/neuter is not a risky surgery. And 6 is not very old for a pug.

I do hope you're being honest when you say you're going to have both of your pugs fixed - there are WAY too many needless litters born every single day.
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/3/2012, 10:43 pm

wow.

Yes, I strongly promote spaying and neutering. The primary reason I promote it is due to the reckless and irresponsible dog owners who think it is "cool" to procreate their Pit Bulls (male and female), and other breeds currently in vogue. I think newspaper ads for dogs and cats should be approved for publication only after the animals themselves, their owners, and the environment the animals are living in are screened, interviewed, and investigated. I would like to see the owners of puppy and breeding mills thrown in jail for animal abuse. This is much easier to accomplish in a rural area such as the one where I currently reside than an urban area, such as a larger town or city, i/e Evanston, IL or Chicago, IL.

I grew up in a era of responsible pet owners and lived in a suburb of Chicago who's residents took pride in their pets. This was also an era which was not as advanced in their consideration of the complications that result from keeping dogs and cats intact. Let's face it - the 1960's were much more simple and less toxic than the 2000's - in so many different ways.

I don't believe in putting any animal through unnecessary and intrusive surgery. I do believe spaying and neutering pets HAS become necessary in this day and age, regardless of my basic beliefs. The number of irresponsible and just plain arrogant, ignorant pet owners has far exceeded the number of loving and responsible pet owners. Therein lies most of the problem of the overpopulation of cats and dogs. I hardly ever heard a symphony of feral cats in my neighborhood or witnessed multiple dogs running wild until humans stopped giving a damn about their domesticated companions. Furthermore, I am vehemently opposed to giving a puppy or a kitten as a Christmas or birthday gift. So many of these "cute and adorable 'gifts' " end up unwanted and unattended.

One of the reasons I have avoided owning a female dog is because of my beliefs. For a long time I felt the main reason for owning a female dog was for breeding. I cringed every time someone would tell me, "My dog is pregnant" because I knew the pregnancy was unplanned and unwanted, especially when I knew there was no designated sire included in the conception. I fell in love with the two female Pugs my friend owns, especially Zoey Anne, the little black pug who stole my heart before I knew what was happening Very Happy Zoey's demeanor was so irresistible I began to seriously consider being a mom for a well-bred, healthy female Pug puppy. I visited the humane society and the pound at least once a week, and asked the proprietors to inform me whenever a Pug - male or female - came into their facilities. I scoured the newspapers, Breeder's magazines and websites, and the not-so-local Rescue organizations. By divine intervention, a dedicated, knowledgeable, and responsible Pug breeder contacted me last August. I debated the possibility of taking in one of her Pug puppies until the last week in October when A'chi officially arrived at my doorstep. A'chi represents all that I have accomplished within the last year, including my sobriety, my securing a wonderful new place to live, being asked to return to my previous place of employment, and my new life. "Chi" in the Japanese and Chinese cultures refers to balance, harmony, and earth.

It makes me very upset every time I rescue a dog, usually 9 times out of 10 a male dog, who is running loose - and usually without a collar and/or any identification. My first fear is for the male dog's health and safety. My second fear is for the unaware, non-spayed female dog who finds herself pregnant. Then I begin to get angry at both owners for not accepting responsibility for their pets.

In answer to your question about Bubba, my male Pug, I would choose not to have him neutered were it not for A'chi. At one time, about six years ago, I did consider Bubba to be a suitable sire for a litter of pure-bred Pug puppies from a female Pug belonging to a different owner. Not anymore. So ... yes, within the next two pay periods, Bubba will be neutered. I am still not completely comfortable with the idea, however, I am a woman of my word, and my word has been spoken.

fyi ...

Toby was attacked by an inbred, insane male German Shepherd who broke free from the leash his idiot of an owner was holding. Toby and I were standing/walking right in front of my apartment in Mesa, Arizona. I ended up taking the owner to court, obtaining a restraining order against the owner and his dog, and receiving restitution from the attack.

I witnessed first hand the spread of Parvo through another apartment complex I lived in Tempe, Arizona. The young puppy living next to Toby and I died from exposure to the disease. The source of the contamination was a commons area frequented by humans and pets.

I currently live in the lower level of a single-family residential home. Bubba is always walked on a leash (as is A'chi) within the confines of my front and back yard. Both of my pups are indoor couch potatoes, and are kept safe and protected at all times, and I do mean at all times, based on the previous events I have experienced. I do not frequent public dog parks, and I do not socialize my pups with any one or any other dogs than the ones I know and can trust.

I apologize if my posts contradicted each other. I hope I have clarified my position on the subject of having pets spayed and neutered.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 on 1/4/2012, 3:22 pm

See what you like about us may also end up being not what you expect to hear. We are all pretty passionate about rescue because we have seen the bad side. We have also seen it go bad for responsible owners. You will always get an honest reaction here, like it or not, but it is always good info. Try not to be offended. We are all coming from the good of the breed, even if you don't agree with our approach. We all left the other place because no one there was willing to give a REAL opinion. All sunshine and hugs with no good info to people who needed to be told what they were doing was wrong.

I have had over 20+ fosters of all ages and most had to be spayed or neutered when they got into rescue regardless of age. All have gone extremely well. Boys recover faster because it is tpically a much less invasive surgery. Girls have done well too. The biggest thing I have seen effect them more than the spay is if there is a dental badly needed. They typically feel worse from that than from the spay. Pain meds are always a must for me after and if a vet refuses to give them to me I will go elsewhere. I even had a foster that we had to spay when she was very pregnant because they were not purebred pugs and the unknown father was obviously much larger than she and we were afraid that tying to carry them to term would kill her. After the spay the vet said she could never have lived through the birth. The puppies were huge and she was very emaciated. Even she barely blinked an eye after the surgery and was full of piss and vinegar the next day. Also usually cheaper to neuter a male than spay a female, because it is less invasive. Only puppy I had I got spayed at 6 mos on the dot and she never had a cycle. I really don't see the point in making them go through one. It's not fun for us and it's uncomfortable for them too.... I appreciate your openess and honesty, even if you got some unexpected feedback. It will make you a valuable member here. We all have different opinions and that is a good thing!
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers on 1/4/2012, 6:57 pm

Since you do believe in doing periodic dentals on your dogs, why not combine a neuter and a dental. Might be cheaper to have him put under and take care of both.

I grew up in the 60's too and had a father who did not believe in neutering males, but as we say when we know better, we do better.

Glad you are going to get your boy neutered!
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/4/2012, 10:12 pm

Yeah ... Bubba needs to get his toothums cleaned and checked. I figured I would combine both procedures into one visit.

Speaking of dentists, I had an appointment with a new dentist today. My previous dentist let me down, and, much to my surprise, has let other folks I know down as well. Sometimes 'a grapevine' is a very good thing.

So far, my new dentist seems much more in tune with his patients' care and concerns. We shall see if he lives up to my first impression. I have oodles of work that needs to be done in order to get my smile up to sunshine. Laughing

And speaking of stuff, I have laundry to do, and Puggas to cuddle.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb on 1/5/2012, 8:57 pm

Neutering is easier on a male then spaying for a female. However, I have fostered females that were spayed and almost all were back to normal within 24 hours and trying to do everything while I was trying my best to keep them from doing it!!! I have never had to deal with a female in heat and hope that I never have to. I've heard some just drip a little blood while others flood. Even getting your boy neutered, I would also get your little girl spayed as soon as you can. Your male will still be attracted to her while in heat and can even become attached. However, at least no babies would occur.

Rescues almost always do spays and neuters along with dentals if the dog needs it. It does same a little money plus only one time being put under anesthesia
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 1/7/2012, 12:14 am

"Become ATTACHED" ??? !!!!

Oh, gosh ... I hope you don't ... well, I guess you must mean ...

Truthfully ... I am on a timing tightrope right now.

My new dentist wants and needs me to rock and roll on this abscessing piece of pain asap.

That's a pain, energy, mobility, and transportation (to the vet asap) consideration.

(Unfortunately - no feedback - puuulease!) Bubba's gonna get snipped and his teeth cleaned first. I'm watching the Bubbers sleep right now, and it seems so unfair ! I know you rescuers are gonna poo-poo me. All I can see is the "How DARE you !!! " look on Bubba's face when everything is said and done. Face it - we all know 'that look' and it is really poopy to attempt to justify.

I think that's the plan - so far.

Next ... A'chi goes in.

If the truth be told - I think it would make more sense to get A'chi in first, HOWEVER ... she is only 4.5 months old !!!!!

Bubba is such an unassuming sugar sweet sunshine of a pugga. He has never been inclined to mount or mess with any of the females he has encountered.

I know, I know ... one temptation is a great frustration .

It's been a very long week at 'Day-Hab' for me (at work). I'm very tired, it's past my bedtime, and wake up call is 4:30 am - again.

I know what I wanna do - and how I would like to schedule stuff ... I just have to sleep on my decisions in order to gain a viable approach.

Thank you, again, for all of your concern. I may not always say it, but it always is appreciated.

aaarrrugh !
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside on 1/7/2012, 8:45 am

I just want to say that Julian was neutered at barely 4 months old.....he recovered so quickly I didn't even know he was recovering....he also had his Nare surgery and hernia issue corrected at the same time...the earlier the better, he is a livewire, if you will, I certainly do not need 10 of him...and the sad part of that would be I would have to take the puppies to be adopted, Prevention is key!
All my animals are spayed and neutered and they are all just fine.

When I used to foster cats, it was a requirement...as it should be as when I moved to this house, there were strays EVERYWHERE, I adopted a couple and had the others spayed and neutered....

There is a lady in my neighborhood who got me into rescue who had over 25 strays 'living' around her house who she fed daily! We have a program here in NC with the Animal Protection League and the Vet Hospital where the stray 'owner' humanely traps the cat in a cage that they provide, we take them to the Vet Hospital to get spayed or neutered and then we release them back to their 'home'. Its been a huge success!

If you are not a breeder, animals should be spayed and neutered, period. I have seen too many instances, heart wrenching! OK I am finished on my just for now though LOL!
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 1/7/2012, 12:33 pm

Melissa wrote:...we take them to the Vet Hospital to get spayed or neutered and then we release them back to their 'home'. Its been a huge success!
My sister does that in California. It certainly helps keep the feral-cat population down a tad...
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top