Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Thundershirt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thundershirt

Post  Clyde's Mommy on 1/27/2012, 5:27 pm

Good afternoon all,

I have a question for those of you that have very anxious pugs. I was looking into getting my 4 year old male a Thundershirt. He has always been a barker but his barking has gotten worse. He barkes at a leaf falling, a person walking by, the mailman - pretty much if the wind blows. I was thinking instead of medicating him which I don't want to do that I try that Thundershirt.

I would like opinions good and bad especially if you have one or have tried one. Thanks for your help. Very Happy
Clyde's Mommy

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Thundershirt

Post  northernwitch on 1/27/2012, 5:29 pm

I've heard mostly good things about the thundershirts. I know one person who felt that it didn't work, but I don't entirely trust her opinion on things.

the other thing I would recommend is melatonin. I've used it on my somewhat anxious chin and it did help a lot.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 1/27/2012, 6:54 pm

No experience but the concept fascinates me. Hope you have success and also try the melatonin Blanche suggested. Good luck!
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 1/27/2012, 7:00 pm

Grace has a Thundershirt and it actually works pretty well for her. She's only mildly afraid of storms so we really don't use it for thunderstorms. For Grace, she's extremely anxious around people, so anytime we have people over at the house, we put her Thundershirt on her and it really does help relieve a lot of her anxiety - at least to the point where she's able to sit on my lap and relax (sometimes she relaxes enough to fall asleep, which is a HUGE feat for her).
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 1/27/2012, 9:07 pm

I'm considering trying one on Sammy, who is getting more and more anxious as he gets older. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions if you try one.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 1/27/2012, 9:08 pm

I want to get one for my hospice pug Peachy. When we were at Best Friends this fall, I saw a few Thundershirts hanging in the octagons.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 1/27/2012, 9:11 pm

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:I want to get one for my hospice pug Peachy. When we were at Best Friends this fall, I saw a few Thundershirts hanging in the octagons.
I didn't even notice that-- I completely would have asked them a lot about that!
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 1/27/2012, 9:53 pm

GingerSnap wrote:
Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:I want to get one for my hospice pug Peachy. When we were at Best Friends this fall, I saw a few Thundershirts hanging in the octagons.
I didn't even notice that-- I completely would have asked them a lot about that!
Ginger-
There were some shirts in Old Friends. If you walked into the octagon, they were hanging on the first cage on the right. Not Jude's cage, the other side of the octagon. I also saw one in the Clubhouse.

BTW- I just got my BF magazine, and there were pictures of Jude, Woodruff, and Eddie in the magazine. Love.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Clyde's Mommy on 1/27/2012, 10:41 pm

Thank you for all your opinions and advice. I think I am going to buy one. Worst case scenario I can return it within 45 days. I will keep you all posted as to what happens after I get him in it. Very Happy
Clyde's Mommy

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom on 1/27/2012, 11:12 pm

My vets office stuffs Remi in one every time he's there for any procedure I'm not there for because he simply flips O-U-T to the point he can barely breathe (he's a bit excessive about things). They tell me it works wonders for him.

It was my understanding it took a couple of techs to get it on him. (proud mother I am Embarassed ).
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy on 1/31/2012, 10:53 am

I thought about getting one for Aggy during storms but she's settled down to the point where I don't think it's needed anymore. I'd love to hear how it works, please keep us posted.
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top