Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Baby allergic to Lola

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby allergic to Lola

Post  Dboardman on 1/29/2012, 9:30 pm

So we have seen the signs but they weren't completely sure it was her. We thought it was something with the house we were renting so we moved out to a new one. Today our son had a serious reaction to Lola, his face swelled up, eye were almost closed like he was asleep. After a trip to the ER we are at a loss as to what to do. Obviously getting rid of Lola is the very last option that at this point isn't even an option to us. But we have to figure something out. The Doctor said that since David is only one that his allergy can change and whatever shot is available for him to get isn't an option until he is two.

Has anyone successfully kept their dog when their child had allergies to it? Shampoos? Medicines?

My wife and I are pretty much emotionally drained after today and hearing the doctor say that we might need to find a new home for what really is our first child..
Dboardman

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby allergic to Lola

Post  FurSprinklers on 1/29/2012, 11:28 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry you are all going through that. How would taking Lola to the groomers once a month or so for a good grooming in hypoallergenic shampoo? I had a family years ago that had a child allergic to their dog and I used to mist the dog down with a mix of half water half liquid downy fabric softner to help keep the dander down on the dog. It seemed to help them some...
FurSprinklers

Number of posts : 675

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered on 1/30/2012, 4:08 am

First find out exactly what he is allergic to - her dander or her saliva/sneezes? It is usually one or the other of these and you will better be able to make an informed choice on your next move once that has been settled.

I have heard of one instance where such testing confirmed that the allergen (this was in a young adult though, not a baby) was actually to a garden pollen that (in this case) the cat carried indoors upon its coat. All the other experts had said it was the cat itself. One garden renovation later all was well at home and that young person learned to carry antihistamines so they could visit their friend's gardens.

Last edited by Puggered on 1/30/2012, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 1/30/2012, 6:24 am

I'm so sorry. I hope with what Angela and Theresa have suggested you can find a solution that keep baby and Pug together happily and allergy free.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside on 1/30/2012, 8:05 am

First find out exactly what he is allergic to - her dander or her
saliva/sneezes? It is usually one or the other of these and you will
better be able to make an informed choice on your next move once that
has been settled. (QUOTE)

I agree, my girls are allergic to the saliva...after the saliva gets on their skin, they immediate wash the area and put on their cream. You could also have the baby allergy tested, its not as bad as it used to be and then you can pinpoint the exact element that caused the reaction. Good Luck!

I do agree getting a new home for Lola would not be an option.
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 on 1/30/2012, 8:29 am

Definitely find out what the allergy is first, because then you can decide how to control the allergy or allergies. Often times, there are many other allergies present, not just the dog, and parents make the decision to surrender only to find out it wasn't only the family pet, but environmental too.

Good luck! I hope your baby feels better soon, prayers coming!
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 on 1/30/2012, 9:48 am

I agree with everyone else, find a pediatric allergist who can help you pinpoint the allergy. Depending on how severe the reaction was this time, I would think about having Lola stay with family or a trusted friend until you can figure this out. My main concern there is that reactions tend to get worse and having Lola in a safe place takes the pressure off of you and your wife to solve this immediately. I know not everyone would agree with me on that one. Wink
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 1/30/2012, 1:45 pm

My own personal opinion is that doctors are very, very quick to blame the dog for a baby that displays allergy symptoms.

I agree with everyone else. Have your little guy seen by a pediatric allergist, run the proper tests and go from there.

It may be you need to make some changes to the household routine, but that does not necessarily mean you will have to rehome Lola. I do believe that zyrtec is safe for children 6 months and up.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman on 1/30/2012, 2:05 pm

Baby D has a appointment with a allergist on next tuesday (he has to be off his meds for 3 days before he can be seen). We will be changing up our routine and unfortunately that means Lola will no longer be allowed to sleep in our room, she will be staying in my wifes office which is a room the baby is not allowed in to begin with. His allergies only act up when he rubs on her. He really really loves her and is always trying to hug on her so that's when he gets inflamed. Lola will have to stay up stairs when he is downstairs and vis-versa..

Unfortunately we don't have anyone for her to stay with. My parents don't care for dogs and my wifes parents, well they can't even watch the baby much less our dog... Were gonna work this out, I did contact the rescue group just in case, more so to see if they have any advice as I am sure this is something they hear a lot.
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface on 1/30/2012, 2:22 pm

Good luck with the pediatric allergist. Allergy testing in babies can be very tricky and it's not as accurate as you think. Definitely try to keep your son separated from Lola between now and the testing. You want your son as healthy as possible for allergy testing. If he still has remnants of the allergy reaction in his system when they do the allergy testing, he will test allergic to almost anything in that class because his histamine levels are already high. That's one of the reasons it's so tricky -- it's most accurate when the body is not having any allergic reaction to anything. However, that's rare for kids who are presenting for allergy testing in the first place.

I know it's hard to keep Lola separated from your son, but unfortunately as parents we have to do what we have to do to keep both our kids and our pets safe. It's stressful. As if being a parent isn't stressful enough. Just take it a step at a time. Wash everything in your son's room and your room in hot water and vacuum like crazy. Keep Lola in a separate area for now and if your son is on the same sofa or carpet that Lola has been on, use a blanket for him to sit or play on.

Others make a good point about dander versus saliva. I still get skin reactions to dog saliva but dander doesn't affect me at all. A saliva reaction is easier to control because you just control the licking. A dander reaction is a little harder to control and it requires a good amount of separation where your son has his space and Lola has her space. Investing in a good air purifier will also help with that.

But for now, separate them and wash and vacuum everything. Get your son as healthy as possible for his allergy testing. Then, you can figure out what is the next step. We'll all be here to help you as much as we can.
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 1/30/2012, 5:07 pm

I second Kendie's advice. And I congratulate you on looking for another solution. I can't tell you the number of calls I took at the Humane Society to surrender the dog/cat because the child/parent/grandparent was allergic to the dog/cat. If it is Lola, my take is probably the dander, and that can be managed. Good thoughts to all of you.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 on 1/30/2012, 6:28 pm

I am in Memphis, TN and although I am not real close I would be willing to help for a longer term if necessary. Feel free to PM me. She would have another Lola to play with! Very Happy
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 1/30/2012, 6:54 pm

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:I am in Memphis, TN and although I am not real close I would be willing to help for a longer term if necessary. Feel free to PM me. She would have another Lola to play with! Very Happy
Marci is my Chloe's 'godmom'! She'd be perfect to watch Lola for you while you work things out! Thank you, Marci, for volunteering!
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 1/30/2012, 10:18 pm

Wow. Marci rocks! And I also applaud you and your wife for looking for a solution other than surrendering Lola. I hope that it works out well. I agree that allergy testing should be the next step, but I would also suggest that if so far, it's just been direct contact, then [erhaps wiping Lola down with a baby wipe before she and your son have a chance to come in contact might be a decent long-term solution.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman on 2/8/2012, 10:06 pm

Just a update for you guys. Lola stayed the week at a friends house who also has a pug. She did really well over there. Baby D's appointment was yesterday morning and it went really well. He did test positive to dog as well as Milk. We talked to the doctor and got a prescription for an epipen(sp) for the milk allergy and was told to start giving him Zyrtec for Lola. We have an appointment next month to follow up, it has worked for the past two days but if it stops he did say there are other options.

Thanks for everyone's help! I'll try to update periodically.
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 2/8/2012, 11:37 pm

Continued good luck in finding a way to manage this!
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 2/9/2012, 5:24 pm

Bless you a thousand times for not giving up on Lola. And we send our positive thoughts for a good solution.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom on 2/10/2012, 6:08 pm

I am reading this for the first time. It just makes me so happy to see that you are dedicated to working out the problem of the allergies. There are so many folks who would just give up the pet.

Lola is very lucky that she is regarded as your first born and is entitled to stay with you . I hope everything will quickly fall into palce and you can be a happy "family."

Do keep us updated.
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top