Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

It's time ... !

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: It's time ... !

Post  dieselsmom on 2/4/2012, 10:49 pm

Oh don't you worry about my glass house - it's protecting my neutered and spayed pugs very well!!
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 2/4/2012, 11:10 pm

I don't know which feels worse - reading your posts, or trying to pull the stitches out of my gum.

Enough. Please. I am taking accountability for all of my actions and choices. You have no place in my life. Stop thinking that you do.

I have no reason to worry about your placing yourself in a position of judgement of my life, my Pugs, or my decisions. So, please, get over yourself.

And, I will not allow you to use this forum as a boxing ring.
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 2/4/2012, 11:16 pm

Oh, well, I wouldn't pull your stitches out - they should dissolve on their own.

And I have no place in your life, nor do I want a place in your life - it's far full enough of just you!

Have a good night.
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 2/4/2012, 11:57 pm

elisemarie wrote:I

So ... I figure within two weeks A'chi will be Pug mom at heart, but not by birth.

I think what gets this very pro-rescue forum going is statements like the one quoted above. I am not sure why you want her to be a mom so bad and why you keep referring to it as the "change". In my mind, a spay is necessary for the health and well being of your "baby". It will prevent pyometra. It will prevent mammary tumors. It will prevent her dying during birthing. I just know for me, there was never a hesitation on spaying or neutering any of my animals. And, testicular cancer also increases the longer a dog is not neutered. It is just hard for many of us that have been in the rescue trenches for years to comprehend statements like the ones you have been posting.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 2/5/2012, 12:35 am

If you have a crate, why can't you move the crate into the kitchen? Put one of them in it while you are at work, and since they can see and touch each other, no one should be crying and your neighbors won't complain. It will also prevent any pregnancy.
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 2/5/2012, 12:36 am

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:
elisemarie wrote:I

So ... I figure within two weeks A'chi will be Pug mom at heart, but not by birth.

I think what gets this very pro-rescue forum going is statements like the one quoted above. I am not sure why you want her to be a mom so bad and why you keep referring to it as the "change". In my mind, a spay is necessary for the health and well being of your "baby". It will prevent pyometra. It will prevent mammary tumors. It will prevent her dying during birthing. I just know for me, there was never a hesitation on spaying or neutering any of my animals. And, testicular cancer also increases the longer a dog is not neutered. It is just hard for many of us that have been in the rescue trenches for years to comprehend statements like the ones you have been posting.
Pretty much have to agree here. And with what Rachel has said.

The reality is that your two dogs should be in separate rooms with doors closed or in crates so that they cannot access each other at all until the girl is spayed or the male neutered. And they really should only be around each other when you are right there and if it were me, I would have one or the other on leash to be on the safe side.

People are getting testy with you because you are being very cavalier about all this. Pregnancy in a 5 to 6 month old puppy is not a light and airy matter. It can result in her death and the death of the pups. We are not talking just to hear our own voices--and people like Rachel, Rebecca and myself have puppy mill girls who have been ravaged physically and emotionally by being pregnant too young and too often. Our upset and concern comes from having watched literally hundreds and hundreds of dogs come out of homes and mills with health issues that should have prevented them from ever being bred to begin with and they developed health issues because of the breeding. In the case of my Hazel, her health issues would not have been immediately apparent to most owners and did not begin to show up noticably until she was an adult and had been bred already several times. She has likely produced many, many puppies who will go blind due to her genetic predisposition for dry eye among other eye issues.

So we have a wealth of experience with the negative consequences of not taking the intact status of both your dogs seriously. Way too many OOPS puppies show up in our rescues and our shelters. So yes, people are going to be hard on you about this. Unapologetically so.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 2/5/2012, 12:46 am

Rebecca, (and others),

I am having A'chi spayed at the earliest possible appointment I have been able to secure. The vet is unavailable this coming Monday - otherwise, A'chi would be in first thing Monday morning.

Contrary to what appears to be the misunderstanding of this group, I am not being negligent in taking care of my Pugs.

In all actuality, I am adhering to the timing suggested by my vet. He stated I should have A'chi fixed between 4 and 6 months. She just turned 5 months on 1 February. My vet did not want to have A'chi undergo the procedure much earlier than this date because he felt it would be too soon and too intrusive. Yes, Virginia, different vets have different opinions.

It is with all due respect that I say, "GET OFF MY BACK !"

I sent a private message to Dieselsmom asking she refrain from any further negative correspondence.

I am in complete understanding of "Get your pets spayed or neutered". I am doing so within the time frame available to me.

I am concerned about the self-righteous attitude that sees to be arising from members of this group who have no idea where, what, and how other members need to handle necessities within their own lives, in addition to the suggestions made by respected veterinarians.

IN A PERFECT WORLD, everything would be taken care of in accordance with OTHER PA MEMBER'S acceptable time frame.

I sincerely ask for the forgiveness of those who cannot comprehend the variables which exist within the lives of others than their own.

IN OTHER WORDS ... back off.

If others can do better handling other people's lives, then let said others run for office and successfully take control and responsibility for all of the variables that become a part of the weave of each individual's tapestry.

In my most humble opinion, there are acceptable ways to discuss disagreements. There are also ways to thoughtfully present one's own opinion without (excuse the expression) pissing off the intended receiver of said opinion.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 2/5/2012, 1:02 am

Yes, the time frame is right for the spaying of your female. However, your male is 6 1/2 years old and has not been neutered. You have stated on multiple times that you are worried that your female is pregnant by the way he is "hugging" her. Personally, at his age, I would be begin to be worried about testicular cancer from waiting so many years to have him neutered. We don't take this lightly. I personally have fostered close to 70 pugs in over 12 years. That is a lot of dogs coming through my home. And, while I don't have all the answers about things, I sure do ask questions and respect the opinions of those that have more information than I do. You can't get upset that people are posting information that you don't like based on the information you have given.

Last edited by Rebecca and the Pugs on 2/5/2012, 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 2/5/2012, 1:02 am

Understand.

I have been astute and observant enough within the last two weeks to notice a definitive change in A'chi and Bubba's interaction with each other.

Sorry me ... I guess y'all should have been by my side to tell me to separate my male and female pugs before this date in time. Duh ... dummy me and my vet ... we did not follow your PA advice.

Let's say A'chi is pregnant. I hold myself accountable. My vet is already aware of the possibility, and my vet, his team, and myself are prepared for the preliminary bloodwork, x-rays, diagnostics, anesthesia, possible abortion of unborn canine fetuses, and spaying of my 5 month old A'chi.

What more do you want me to post?

This is what I can post ... I offer up Positive Vibes to (my) God, to The Universe, and to Our Household, for the safe procedure that awaits my Beloved A'chi, and, in following, my Beloved Bubba Steve.

May we be honored with your participation in these requests.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 2/5/2012, 1:15 am

Toby, My Little Luv, lived to be 13 years old, not neutered (my late husband's choice) with no testicular cancer.

Bubba, checked and re-checked - to date - no cancer. (scheduled for neutering right after A'chi). His sperm count reported to be very low. Hopefully no ammunition, but willing to please.

I did not go into my accepting A'chi unknowing and/or blind to the possibility of her being impregnated by Bubba. I went by what my trustworthy vet advised, and is what is happening right here, right now.

If any of you want to perform an intervention, have at it. I am doing the best that I can with what I have been advised.

Oh, by the way ... if I am rewarded the Pugs in a Bug, I will welcome it with open wall space.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 2/5/2012, 1:32 am

I don't think anything else is going to be accomplished here so I'm locking this thread. I won't pretend to be an expert on count and viability of the sperm of a 6 year old pug but I will say that I don't support putting dogs in any situation, for any reason, that can result in an unnecessary pregnancy. I'm also quite confused as to why a vet would even test sperm count unless the intention was to breed. I believe that is the issue that is causing the most concern amongst the many members here, who have witnessed first hand the tragedy that results from irresponsible breeding. No one is here to judge your use of funds or whether you spay your dog before you have dental work done. That's your personal business. What we are here for is to share/educate and then support those who take the information and use it to do better. I don't expect anyone here to keep silent about an issue that they are so experienced with and passionate about. That is and always will be the opinion of the administration of this forum.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top