Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Upper Respitory infection help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Upper Respitory infection help

Post  Old Mother Hubbard on 2/6/2012, 9:47 am

Wellie has an upper respitory infection. Has a dry hacking cough no temp appears normal to all intents. Have had him on Clavimox for 3 days now and added a cough suppresant yesterday , have the humidifier going . While he sounds better I am still concerned. Any thoughts on anything I can do to help him get better. How long should this last? Cheers.
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Re: Upper Respitory infection help

Post  Aussie Witch on 2/6/2012, 1:45 pm

Poor Wellie! It sounds as though you are doing everything possible to help him get over this, it might just need a little more time. As long as his temp isn't climbing, he's eating and his general demeanour is good, I would keep up with the excellent nursing, meds and careful observation. Of course, if you're really concerned, off to the vet. Hope he starts to get better soon.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 2/6/2012, 2:00 pm

I have way too much experience with kennel cough working in a shelter. The dry hacking cough can last anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks, depending on the dog. You're doing everything right with the humidifier and making sure he doesn't have a high fever. Kennel cough is usually viral, so the Clavamox probably won't help unless he gets a secondary bacterial infection.

I typically just let kennel cough run its course unless the dog is very very affected by it -- thick green mucous (sorry for the visual) from the nose that affects breathing warrants a vet visit, as does lethargy for more than a day or so.

Keep an eye on his hydration. Sometimes sick puggas won't drink enough water, and he might need sub-q fluids. Gently pinch the skin on the scruff of his neck. If it snaps back quickly, he's fine. If it stays standing up where you pinched it, he's dehydrated.

Other than that, there's not much you can do except make him warm and comfy. Best wishes to you and your sick boy!
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Did your little guy get better?

Post  Doodikins on 2/21/2012, 10:23 am

I ask because I just got my boy through a serious bout of pneumonia. I got some help from a website called pawhealer.com. I got Chinese herbs to treat lung heat and an herbal cough medicine called hound honey. But he was on antibiotics too and in the end I think what got him well was the combination of treating the lung heat with herbs while killing the infection with Baytril. Hope your pug baby is feeling better. My precious baby is!!
Doodikins

Number of posts : 5

http://pugmamablog.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top