Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments

3 posters

Go down

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments Empty Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments

Post  elisemarie 3/14/2012, 10:01 am

I understand the following may evoke some negative responses, but here goes .....
~~~~~
Background information:

A beautiful, docile, non-mewing, and very friendly female tuxedo cat has been hanging around my yard and front door for the past week or so. I have tried to shoo her away several times. She finally camped out by the front door and refused to leave - even when I brought A'chi and Bubba out for their daily walks. I did not leave any food or water out for her hoping she would get the message and move on. She did not get the message, but rather, instead, managed to come in with the pups and plant herself firmly in the back corner of my breezeway (which is separated from the rest of my apartment by an interior - and locked - door). I physically removed her to the great outdoors, and she continued to hang around.
~~~~~
Present information:

Soooo ..... As you may have already determined, "Sam" is now part of my household. She already sleeps at the bottom of my bed with A'chi and Bubba sleeping by my head.

NOTE: My vet does not have any openings until next week.. The local humane society (grrrr) will not see her without my surrendering her to their facility. My vet is really the only one I feel is competent in my area.
~~~~~
Here's the recent developments:

Within the last 24 hours, A'chi has developed diarrhea. A'chi has not gotten near Sam's food or her litter, and Sam has her own water bowl in a separate area from my Pugs water.

Bubba started coughing last night. He does not cough constantly, however, he has started coughing frequently enough for me to notice and become concerned.

To the best of my ability, I bathed Sam, and checked her for exterior parasites, etc., and found none. She is very quiet, and she does not show any aggression toward my Pugs.

Bubba lived with several cats at my friend's house while I was in treatment. He never coughed around my friend's cats. A'chi has never had diarrhea in the 6.5 months I have had her.

One more thing ... Sam seems to be sleeping a lot. it's been a few years since I had a cat. Maybe I am forgetting how much they sleep. Maybe not.
~~~~~
MY QUESTIONS: Would Sam's recent presence in the house cause A'chi to have diarrhea, and cause Bubba to start coughing? Has anyone here experienced a similar situation?

This is Sam ...

Her eyes were partially closed in these. She has clear green eyes, and I have never seen a mean expression on her face.

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments 100_0164

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments 100_0173-1-1

ps - Her paws appear to be very big due to the foreshortening of the pix/lens of the camera.
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments Empty Re: Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments

Post  SacramentoPugs 3/14/2012, 2:13 pm

elisemarie wrote:MY QUESTIONS: Would Sam's recent presence in the house cause A'chi to have diarrhea, and cause Bubba to start coughing? Has anyone here experienced a similar situation?
Stress-induced diarrhea isn't unheard of. Change, like the addition of another animal, can be pretty intense for some of our pugs. But you'll also want to have a fecal test done on Sam at her vet appointment to make sure she's not carrying any parasites that could be contagious to A'chi and Bubba.

As for the coughing, it's unlikely that a cat would carry a virus or something that would cause a dog to cough. My hunch is that Bubba's coughing is unrelated to Sam's arrival -- unless it's an allergy.

elisemarie wrote:NOTE: My vet does not have any openings until next week.. The local humane society (grrrr) will not see her without my surrendering her to their facility.
Why the "grrrr"? Why on earth would you expect the local shelter to provide vet care for a cat you acquired on your own and are keeping?
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments Empty Re: Cats and Dogs - And Recent Developments

Post  elisemarie 3/14/2012, 5:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I am being an over-protective mom. Through the years, both my late hubby and I, (together and separately) have had both cats and dogs living in the same household, with no ill effects.

My first thoughts went to stress and possible allergies. A'chi and Bubba's health issues came on at the same time. Quite simply, I got nervous and began fearing the worst.

Like many of us, I had experienced a great amount of illness and death with human and fur-baby loved ones in a relatively short amount of time. The first anniversary of my favorite brother passing will be 12 April. His death was totally unexpected, and Rick was the twelfth loved one to die in as many years. I witnessed four fur-babies die in the five months I lived with my friend and her hubby; and two of my own have passed since 2008. Also, like many of us, my pets are my kids. I guess I pay closer attention and concern to all health issues now that I am in Recovery from my dependency on alcohol.

I am continuing to monitor A'chi, Bubba, and Sam.

~~~~~

The grrrr regarding the local humane society stems more from their attitude than their policies. My good friend used to work at the humane society. I didn't believe her accounts of how in-humane the society is/was until I began dealing with the local society myself. I have lived in big cities and small towns in many states across the country including Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, South Dakota, and now, again, in Wyoming. I don't ever remember any of the humane societies I visited having the same negative demeanor as the one here in town. Again, I may have become more aware and/or hyper-sensitive to the ways people treat each other in this ever-increasingly busy and complex world.

My dad used to say, "It doesn't cost a dime to be courteous", and my late husband used to say, "One negative word will spread a lot faster than ten compliments".

~~~~~

Speaking of compliments, I have learned a great deal from this group. I appreciate all of you, your wit, and especially, your wisdom. Very Happy
elisemarie
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/14/2012, 7:07 pm

I didn't see it written... Did you get her a litterbox and is it AT ALL accessible tot he pugs? Dogs think cat poop is almond roca and will do almost anything to get it, even more so than the cat food.

Just a thought... Lots of parasites can be transmitted thru cat poop.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie 3/14/2012, 8:11 pm

Gotcha covered on that one.

From past experience living at my friend's house, I learned about a dog's attraction to cat poop (gross, nauseating, and simply yuccko).

I elevated Sam's litter box, her food, and her water - high enough where A'chi and Bubba can't access any of them, and low enough to be of service to Sam.

So far, even though Sam does not seem to be much of a jumper, she has successfully found her way to "her essentials".
elisemarie
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down