Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

undescended testicle

+5
SacramentoPugs
northernwitch
Renee
Snifter&Toddy
amandajoulie
9 posters

Go down

undescended testicle Empty undescended testicle

Post  amandajoulie 4/3/2012, 12:53 am

One of my pugs isn't fixed. I think he has an undescended testicle. How would I know for sure and could this cause him health issues.
(We are getting him fixed, just can't do it right now)
amandajoulie
amandajoulie

Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

undescended testicle Empty Re: undescended testicle

Post  Snifter&Toddy 4/3/2012, 6:48 am

If you can only see and feel one out of the two testicles then he has an undescended testicle.

He does need to be neutered and it will likely be a slightly bigger operation than a normal neuter because they have to root around and find the missing testicle in order to remove it. My understanding is that there is a high risk of cancer if the testicle remains inside. I don't think it is an emergency situation, as such, but it does need to be addressed as soon as you can.

That said, how old is your boy? I forget at what age the canals close, at which point the testicle can no longer descend but I have a feeling it is at around 9 months. So if he is still quite young there is a chance that the errant testicle may yet appear.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  amandajoulie 4/3/2012, 11:46 am

He is around 2. We adopted him last summer.
amandajoulie
amandajoulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 4/3/2012, 12:27 pm

amandajoulie wrote:He is around 2. We adopted him last summer.

A rescue adopted out a pug without neutering him?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  amandajoulie 4/3/2012, 1:47 pm

I didn't get him from a rescue. We adopted him from someone on Kijiji. Their baby was allergic to him.
amandajoulie
amandajoulie

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/3/2012, 2:56 pm

Cryptorchidism is a condition present at birth in which one or both testicles fail to descend into the scrotum from where they develop in the abdomen. If the testicle has not descended into the scrotum by approximately two months of age, there usually is little chance that further descent will occur.

The undescended testicle is usually underdeveloped and non-functional, although it is a potential source of problems later in life (especially cancer) if not removed. The undescended testicle may remain within the abdomen or it may be located in the inguinal (groin) tissues.

It can be a more invasive surgery depending on where the testicle is, but definitely needs to be done.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 4/3/2012, 3:06 pm

Yep, get that neuter surgery done sooner than later -- that undescended testicle is a ticking time bomb. Hopefully your vet will find it easily and won't have to go "fishing" for it.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/4/2012, 7:39 pm

Our oldest pug had an undescended testicle but they were able to locate it while he was being neutered. They had to make two additional small incisions to find it (it was hidingin his abdomen) but they did it. The recovery from the neutering took about a day or two longer than usual but he was back to his bouncy self within 4 or 5 days. Definitely get him neutered as soon as possible.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 4/5/2012, 7:54 am

Hercules had one also, it wasn't a problem, they were able to neuter him at 6 months.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy 4/5/2012, 1:07 pm

Edgar had one also, he was neutered at 6 months. The vet did have to dig around a bit and he ended up with 2 incisions one on his scrotum and one in his abdomen. He came through wonderfully, you never would have believed he'd had such an invasive surgery 4 days later.
Cathy
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  amandajoulie 4/11/2012, 12:16 pm

Sounds like it's something common in pugs. Our older pug had the same thing. But he was neutered a lot younger than what Koda is now. Just wanted to make sure it's not going to be a harder surgery because he is 2 now, almost 3
amandajoulie
amandajoulie

Back to top Go down

Post  betsyboo103 5/7/2012, 2:56 pm

I just got back from the vet with Oliver about 10 minutes ago and guess what?? same problem!! So it's about double the price ($633.30) but she said that it's absolutely a must due to the risk of cancer/tumors. He is booked in for June 11th Very Happy cant wait to get it all taken care of!!

p.s I was soo proud of him-he was such a good boy for her (2 shots, checking teeth/eyes, digging around his testicles etc.) 1st vet visit so i was a little nervous.
betsyboo103
betsyboo103

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/7/2012, 3:15 pm

betsyboo103 wrote:I just got back from the vet with Oliver about 10 minutes ago and guess what?? same problem!! So it's about double the price ($633.30) but she said that it's absolutely a must due to the risk of cancer/tumors. He is booked in for June 11th Very Happy cant wait to get it all taken care of!!

p.s I was soo proud of him-he was such a good boy for her (2 shots, checking teeth/eyes, digging around his testicles etc.) 1st vet visit so i was a little nervous.

Good luck! And, yes, cancer is a very real possibility. One of our rescues just went in for a neuter, he is middle aged - they found a tumor. Crying or Very sad So much better to get them fixed at a young age.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum