Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

20 Mule Team Borax "Recipe"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

20 Mule Team Borax "Recipe"

Post  elisemarie on 4/4/2012, 7:24 pm

Can anyone re-post "the recipe" that uses 20 Mule Team Borax for spots and stains?

Also, what else can I use beside pickling vinegar to eliminate pee and poop odor?

The Planet Urine stuff I used and recommended works really great, but I cannot afford such an expensive product line.

Thank you !!!!!!!
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Re: 20 Mule Team Borax "Recipe"

Post  elisemarie on 4/5/2012, 7:32 pm

Can't anyone help me out?
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 4/5/2012, 10:10 pm

Honestly, I don't even remember reading about that here. Sorry!
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 4/5/2012, 10:26 pm

GingerSnap wrote:Honestly, I don't even remember reading about that here. Sorry!
I don't remember it either. Did you try just googling it, or using the search feature on this site?
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 4/5/2012, 10:58 pm

Sorry Elise Marie, I'm drawing a blank on the borax thing myself and I usually remember that kind of stuff.

As for the pee smell--I've only ever used either vinegar or Nature's Miracle. But here's an article about natural ways to remove cat urine odour--one of the toughest smells to get rid of so I'd bet it would work with canines....

http://www.holistichealtharticles.com/Art/17249/414/All-Natural-Cat-Urine-Odor-Remover-That-You-Can-Make-at-Home.html
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 4/6/2012, 6:34 pm

Awesome!

Gratefully, the weather is getting warmer so I can leave the doors open when I "pickle" my house with the smell of vinegar.

I am almost positive some of the gals here posted "recipes" for using 20 Mule Team Borax as a good cleaning agent against pet stains. I think someone mentioned adding lemon and/or orange extract or ground peels to the mixture.

I always knew Puggas were difficult to housebreak. I though Bubba was the fastest pee in the west until I met A'chi. Not only is she the fastest pee in Wyoming, she is blatantly PROUD of peeing and pooping - both on the puppy pads, and on my oriental rug.

Again, it's a good thing the weather is warming up. Frequent walks are good for my soul, and the Puggas' health and well-being, and the walks keep my feet from walking into some "Yuccko ... oh, gross ... not AGAIN!" unexpected "discoveries".

~~~~~

The most heart-breaking part of correcting A'chi is seeing her face turn to complete humility and sadness when I discover her indiscretions.

All I can muster is "A'chi ... what did you doooo?". The moment I say, "Bad Girl!" she is inside the puppy crate. She doesn't come out for about 20 minutes. And when I tell her, "I'm mad at you!", she drops her butt, starts to walk away from me, and turns around to look at me with the biggest Pug puppy eyes I have ever known.

I have patience. I do not yell, and I do not scold TOO much. I stop and remember A'chi is still a pup (now 7 months young). I also remember it took
Bubba just over a year old to "get his act together".

Ah, the things we do for love.
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 4/6/2012, 6:47 pm

Sam ...

... is turning out to be a great cat. A'chi thinks he is a toy, and Sam seems to like his Pugga pals.

When I took the Pugs for a walk this afternoon, I came back home only to discover the wind had forced my front door open. There was Sam ... rolling in the freshly tilled dirt of my front-yard garden. I was surprised ...

a. To see him outside (it turned very cold and windy today).
b. To see him outside - and still hanging around !

and ...

c. To find him willingly coming toward me and wanting to jump into my arms!

Right now, Bubba is sleeping on my glider/rocker, Sam is laying on the hassock in front of the glider/rocker, and A'chi is "paws up" on the hassock playing with Sam.

Whodathunk I would be blessed with such wonderful fur-babies!
elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 4/6/2012, 7:05 pm

elisemarie wrote:

I am almost positive some of the gals here posted "recipes" for using 20 Mule Team Borax as a good cleaning agent against pet stains. I think someone mentioned adding lemon and/or orange extract or ground peels to the mixture.

Did you use the search feature or google it?
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 4/6/2012, 7:43 pm

Googling, Ask ... ? Web searching ... yup ... done it. I'm sure I am on the right track. This is not rocket scientific stuff. So far tonight I got side-tracked responding to the breeding of Puggas. I will pick the brain of one of the most knowledgeable "Mom's" of one of my clients who lives in Missouri tomorrow, Saturday.
This wonderful mom (now in her late 70's) tends to a whole bunch of acres, has been known to make 9 home-made pies in one weekend, and possesses more sage advice than I could ever imagine to know.

Anyway ... the bottom line is I will have to do the "grub work" and really get down to treating the whole living room before I even think of "steam cleaning". From my experience, if the smells and stains are not effectively and efficiently removed before I start applying any steam treatment, all that happens is the smells and stains will spread further through the carpet., vinyl tile, wall paneling, etc.

I guess I am just hoping some of you know effective "shortcuts". The "Planet Urine" products work sooooooo great. I simply luv 'em. I cannot afford their prices!

I am trying to figure out Planet Urine's recipe. The powder Planet Urine uses cannot be far from the 20 Mule Team Borax stuff. My background is in product design, architecture, and electrical engineering. I am a hard-core "designer". If there "is a way" to remedy pet stuff, I will find it. I did not have a real need to pursue such endeavors until A'chi and Sam.

~~~~

Just so ya' know ... I am an "expediter" for the group homes. That means, I am the "Clean Nazi". I am the gal my co-workers hate because I insist the Ladies' Group Home remains clean and sanitary.

~~~~~

Thank you for all of your input. You folks know different stuff than I do. It is my hope we can all learn together!

elisemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top