Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Feeding Information *Important*

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Feeding Information *Important*

Post  leslyeb on 4/7/2012, 9:23 pm

My pug Taz who has passed away was a very picky eater. Dogs will often hold out several meals but will finally eat. Doesn't Taste of the Wild have can food? Also, you could try putting some sodium free chicken broth on some dry kibble. One of the kibbles my pug boy loved was Solid Gold Wee Bits. You can buy it at Petco. Plus, Natural Balance has kibble with "small bites". Petco sells quite a few fairly good quality dog foods now. Can food is good for the extra moisture it provides
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie on 4/7/2012, 9:51 pm

I haven't tried the Taste of the Wild canned food, however, my Pugs love the dry kibble!
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 4/7/2012, 10:00 pm

Eiyer wrote:Ok, the highest canned Protein that WalMart sells IS 10% and that is with Purina Mighty Dog PROTEIN PACKED. The canned food I've been buying "Purina Alpo Lamb and Rice has 9.5%...tell me where this Purina Mighty Dog is getting its PROTEIN PACKED at? Now I went to Tractor Supply, they have that Taste of the Wild dog food you guys were talking about. Like 25% Protein...I'm going to buy it and see if he'll eat it, but it is dry food, so I'm very doubtful. Do you know if they sell anything that'll make a dog more likely to eat their food? The Taste of the Wild canned food was only 7.1% protein.
Sorry--I think I confused you with my food analysis. The protein listing on dry is always different than on canned.

Here's the important thing--canned food is almost always more digestible than kibble--more "bio-available" as they say.

Here is a terrific link that will explain the difference between protein levels as stated on a bag of kibble vs. a can of dog food. Again, the primary issue is the QUALITY of the protein and it's digestibility.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-protein/

So look for the best quality food you can find and it won't be at Wal-Mart. But if your guy is a picky eater, then you need to slowly transition him onto a better food over a week or two. And the nice thing about canned food is that you can vary the proteins (you should do this with kibble too, but most folks don't). Feeding a dog the same food over and over increases the risk of sensitizing the animal to the various components of the food and eliciting an allergy or a sensitivity. And most dogs don't show allergies until age two or older--but some do show signs earlier than that. I live with a severely allergic dog who simply cannot eat most canned or kibble. I feed raw anyway so that has worked well for him

People on this forum have had great things to say about Honest Kitchen. I've never used it, but many people--even with allergy prone dogs rave about it. There are several dehydrated raw companies out there that are good.

But if the whole raw thing is just too much to think about right now--and not all dogs do well on raw--then I'd think about trying to shift him to a better quality canned.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 4/10/2012, 4:36 pm

Our doggie grocery store was having problems getting Taste of the Wild, so they gave me a sample bag of Earthborn fish. Penny loved it. When we finished that bag, we tried their bison formula. She likes that even better. I checked it on the bulldog site that Blanche posted, and it gets five stars. Works for me, and for Ms. Thang.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 4/11/2012, 6:40 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:Our doggie grocery store was having problems getting Taste of the Wild, so they gave me a sample bag of Earthborn fish. Penny loved it. When we finished that bag, we tried their bison formula. She likes that even better. I checked it on the bulldog site that Blanche posted, and it gets five stars. Works for me, and for Ms. Thang.
I love having other options -- thanks for the recommendation!!!
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 on 4/13/2012, 10:32 am

My general rule of thumb is that Wal-Mart nor any grocery store generally carries any good quality food. I get my pugs' food at a specialty store store about 25 minutes from me or online. It's worth the gas and the money. You get what you put in! You've gotten some good advice here. These pug folks are a great resource.

And raw doesn't mean you have to dish out the raw meat. My pugs were on Honest Kitchen and I found it to be a phenomenal food. The only reason they are off it is because one of my pugs is dealing with some allergy issues and we are trying a new, limited protein source for him.

Good luck.
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top