Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The cause of Emma's sudden death

+4
Pugsaunt
Saira
northernwitch
puggedbymeeko
8 posters

Go down

The cause of Emma's sudden death Empty The cause of Emma's sudden death

Post  puggedbymeeko 4/23/2012, 10:45 am

My 5 year old precious baby girl passed away a week after her symptoms began. This email/post is not an easy one to make. My stomach has been in knots since Emma's illness first became serious. It's hard to not wonder if there was anything more I could do for her and if it was my fault that she passed away. I received a phone call from the vet's office Thursday morning while I was at work. Emma's ashes were ready to be picked up and the results of the necropsy were in. My heart dropped to my stomach, I was shaking, wanted to throw up, was hot, nauseous and all that goes with my nerves being shot at that very moment. I finally was able to put it in God's hands and I said the following prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, hold me in your arms during this extremely difficult time of waiting and learning the results of the necropsy on Emma. I have prayed for you to guide the veterinarians to do all they can to come to a conclusive finding. I pray for an absolute answer that is in the best interest of everyone involved. God, please give me the strength to accept the results as they are and guide me in the right direction that I need to take after the results are revealed. Whether it be something other than PDE or PDE itself, I will rely upon you to help me through this. Thank you for blessing me with my friendship with Lois. Her shoulder to cry on, listening ear and advice has provided me with comfort. Lord, please protect those who need protecting and help those who need to be helped. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

All day I had been so nervous and on pins and needles. I was finally going to find out what happened to Emma. When I walked into the office I was handed her ashes and sat down to wait for the doctor to finish with another patient. You're not going to believe what happened next. While sitting there a lady walked in with a Pug!! Her name was Pika and she weighed in at a petite 15 lbs, just like Emma! A sense of calmness came over me and I know that was a sign from my baby girl that things are going to be ok and I need to move forward.

Dr. Jolly took me into a room and immediately revealed that Emma's death was absolutely caused by Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE). I took a deep breath and shook my head in an agreeing way. I knew in my heart that it was that awful disease that took her life so suddenly. Now that it's officially been confirmed, I will be educating others and getting the word out about PDE. I've researched PDE a lot these last few weeks and learned that PDE can be prevented! In June 2010 there was a breakthrough in the research of PDE and a test became available to find out the risk of a pug being susceptible to PDE. Even though it is not a diagnostic tool, it is a test for breeders to find out if the Pugs they're using in their breeding program have the high risk susceptible markers. This allows a breeder to select pugs for breeding that have the lower susceptible markers instead.

It is imperative that ALL PUG BREEDERS test their breeding pairs for these markers. Any reputable breeder who is dedicated to the betterment of the breed knows about this test and is using it in their breeding program. A Pug should NOT have to go through this and NO ONE should have their heart broken because of this.

Unfortunately the test was not available before Emma was born in 2006, so there was no way to know if she was at a high risk of being susceptible to PDE. Once it's confirmed that a Pug has succumbed to PDE and brought to the attention of the breeder, it is the responsibility of the breeder to notify all of their purchasers of the case of PDE. There is no way to predict if a Pug will have PDE, you can only be aware of the signs and symptoms. At that point, all you can do is hold on for dear life because you're in for one heck of an emotional roller coaster ride. I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure all breeders do not breed the high susceptibility risk Pugs together.

What YOU can do in Memory of Emma!

Learn as much as you can about PDE and share it with other Pug lovers.

Before purchasing a Pug, ask the breeder if he/she is testing their breeding Pugs for the susceptibility to Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE). If NOT, politely decline to purchase from them and refer them to UC Davis Veterinary Medicine for information on the test. http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/PDE.php

Encourage everyone you know to NOT purchase from a breeder who does not test for the susceptibility to Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE).

If you have questions feel free to ask. I'm up to a respectful educational discussion.

Use this email/post as an educational tool as much as you can. Feel free to copy this and distribute as you see fit. All I ask is that you copy as I have written it and note that I am the one who wrote it.

Subscribe to and share the blog I'm in the process of creating in Memory of Emma. http://www.mypugemma.blogspot.com

If you are a Facebook user, please consider voting for Emma's photo in her memory. You can VOTE & SHARE DAILY through 5/2/12. It would be great to win a $100 gift certificate to Mud Bay in her Memory. http://promoshq.wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/205350/voteable_entries/48514624

Hug and snuggle your precious Pugs for me today. You never know what tomorrow brings.

Mindy Elie
puggedbymeeko@gmail.com
Facebook ID puggedbymeeko

puggedbymeeko

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

The cause of Emma's sudden death Empty Re: The cause of Emma's sudden death

Post  northernwitch 4/23/2012, 1:42 pm

I'm sorry that you lost your Emma to PDE. We see it from time to time in the rescue--surprisingly, we've had two pug mixes die of it. It's a rotten way to lose a pug.

Frankly, breeders should be testing for all manner of genetic issues, not just PDE. But PDE is a killer and a heart breaker.

Good for you for promoting responsible breeding as well as responsible ownership.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puggedbymeeko 4/23/2012, 1:47 pm

Thank you and I just noticed that I put a link for voting on here and I don't think I'm supposed to. My apologies! This was a blanket email/post I made for my yahoo groups and facebook pages. I didn't mean any harm.

puggedbymeeko

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/23/2012, 1:54 pm

I echo what Blanche said. PDE is such a terrible disease that affects our pugs. We've also seen a few instances of it in rescue, and it breaks your heart-so unfair and such a horrible disease. My condolences on the loss of your Emmy.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/23/2012, 2:29 pm

puggedbymeeko wrote:Thank you and I just noticed that I put a link for voting on here and I don't think I'm supposed to. My apologies! This was a blanket email/post I made for my yahoo groups and facebook pages. I didn't mean any harm.
Meh--I don't think most of us mind about the voting thing. The only time it annoys me is when that is the ONLY reason someone posts--just to get votes as opposed to participating on the forum.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/23/2012, 3:46 pm

My condolences on the loss of Emmy. PDE sucks big, and I am so sorry that your girl was a victim. I will say a prayer for her tonight.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 4/23/2012, 3:56 pm

northernwitch wrote:
puggedbymeeko wrote:Thank you and I just noticed that I put a link for voting on here and I don't think I'm supposed to. My apologies! This was a blanket email/post I made for my yahoo groups and facebook pages. I didn't mean any harm.
Meh--I don't think most of us mind about the voting thing. The only time it annoys me is when that is the ONLY reason someone posts--just to get votes as opposed to participating on the forum.

I remember when you asked for votes for her before for a different contest. I am really sorry to hear this news about Emma.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie 4/24/2012, 11:45 am

Thank you for the information regarding PDE. I would have never have known the disease existed had I not become a member at PA.

candle for Emma candle
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/24/2012, 3:53 pm

I am so very sorry about the loss of your beautiful girl to such a horrible disease. Seeing so many Pugs succomb to PDE inspired me to set up a website www.pugvillageofhope.info a few years ago, as a place to find out information and as a solace to people going through it with their Pugs. Thankfully, with the new genetic tests recently developed, we might see the incidence of PDE decrease and have hope that one day it might be wiped out.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 4/24/2012, 4:16 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:I am so very sorry about the loss of your beautiful girl to such a horrible disease. Seeing so many Pugs succomb to PDE inspired me to set up a website www.pugvillageofhope.info a few years ago, as a place to find out information and as a solace to people going through it with their Pugs. Thankfully, with the new genetic tests recently developed, we might see the incidence of PDE decrease and have hope that one day it might be wiped out.

This is one of my biggest fears with the young ones, and I know many of our pug friends have lost beloved pugs to this terrible illness.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  puggedbymeeko 4/26/2012, 12:24 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'll be updating the blog soon with information on Emma and what we went through.

puggedbymeeko

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 4/26/2012, 2:29 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. I never asked the breeder, I didn't even know about it until PA. Needless to say I am nervous now. Thanks for educating others and I send my sincere condolences !
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down