Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Extra Rib

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Extra Rib

Post  monkeypigs4eva on 5/1/2012, 12:10 am

Had a series of films done on Wendi at the vet today and found some unusual information.

Turns out she doesn't have a disc issue, nor a tumor or growth or infection, nor does she have evidence of past injury. What she DOES have is an extra rib where a rib should not be. It is causing a curvature of her spine at the L1, as well as putting pressure on her spine.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do for her except keep her comfortable and fed and loved and happy, which is no problem. Poor kid.

Anyone ever heard of this?
monkeypigs4eva

Number of posts : 1892

http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeypigranch

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra Rib

Post  GracieNEmma on 5/1/2012, 11:06 am

Poor girl! Crying or Very sad While I haven't heard of it in dogs, I myself have an extra rib, near my neck/collar bone. Still causes me problems every so often but if I keep doing exercises that my PT showed me to do, it feels ok. Hugs to Wendi!!
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash on 5/1/2012, 11:24 am

I also know a human who has an extra... or is missing one on the opposite side...

I hope it's as manageable for your little snookums!

ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 on 5/4/2012, 12:41 pm

is this the same as a "floating rib"?

Louie has a bump on his side and the vet said it's a floating rib, and not to worry
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva on 5/4/2012, 1:37 pm

puglover22 wrote:is this the same as a "floating rib"?

Louie has a bump on his side and the vet said it's a floating rib, and not to worry

I'm not sure about Louie but Wendi's is sort of "internal" to the rib cage and is curving the spine with the strange way it has grown. The vet said it is highly unusual and only the second he has seen. It is just a strange deformity.
monkeypigs4eva

Number of posts : 1892

http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeypigranch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top