Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Baby Bear Update.... Epilepsy it is

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby Bear Update.... Epilepsy it is

Post  Confused on 8/9/2012, 5:48 pm

Hi fellow put lovers... just a quick update... our poor little guy is definitely epileptic.. he has had 4 seizures in July and this morning had cluster seizures. How horrible for him. The first was 5 am and had to wait until there was enough time between to get dressed and crate ready to get him to emerg. vet hospital. Between 5am and 6am he had 8 full seizures and very little recovery time ( 3 - 5min) between. My greatest fear at that time was that his heart or respiratory system would give out before I could get him help. Not a recommended way to start a day...lol He is on IV fluids and phenobarb at he moment and and we will set him up with a meds schedule tomorrow... On one of the other replies I was given a medication that had fewer side effects but can't remember what it was... I you are out there and can give me the name again I would dearly appreciate it and I can give it to my vet and see if it is available to us. Thanks again for all your support and information. Chat soon pug2

Confused

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Bear Update.... Epilepsy it is

Post  Pugsaunt on 8/9/2012, 5:52 pm

No advice, just saying healing prayers and sending healing thoughts for your boy.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered on 8/10/2012, 8:11 am

Was it potassium bromide? That is a fairly common anti-seizure med.

Or sometimes cluster seizures are spot treated with one of the benzos (like Diazepam).

Anyway best of luck, I hope he can go on a regime that keeps seizure activity infrequent.
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon on 8/10/2012, 9:13 am

More healing thoughts for your little guy. So sorry he (and you) are going through such a difficult time. I hope the med schedule can help him and that the number of seizures goes way, way down.
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Thank You All

Post  Confused on 8/10/2012, 12:31 pm

Thanks so much for the support... It is so difficult to sit by and be unable to help except to keep him safe... he is home again and his usual self... the drug was keppra and I will be seeing our vet today and check this out... he has been put on phenobarbital for now... with hope and a lot of luck he will be just fine... I am told with medication he should not have more than 2 seizures a year... sound great to me..lol Have a great weekend all .... will chat soon...... Christy
hug dog

Confused

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 8/10/2012, 4:04 pm

It was probably me who mentioned Keppra (levetiracetam). It has fewer side effects, in my experience, than pheno or potassium bromide--but is expensive and has a shorter half life than pheno or PB. And each dog is different in terms of response time. It can take several weeks to get the dosage worked out on any of the epilepsy meds. There are a number of very good canine epilepsy forums--worth googling it and getting some support from folks who have walked that walk.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Vet Meds

Post  Confused on 8/10/2012, 8:16 pm

Thanks northerwitch; we saw our regular vet today and gave her the suggestion and she is going to do some research on that on and look a little deeper in different meds. I love an open minded person... especially the professional. lol Thanks for the heads up on alternatives. With meds for anything it is usually for the individual and takes a little time to find the right one and right dosages... at least there is help out there for these little tykes. Take Care... Have a Great Weekend All !!!

Confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 8/11/2012, 9:34 pm

Sounds like you've got a plan and a good vet. Good wishes that you get it all under control.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Thanks to All

Post  Confused on 8/12/2012, 12:37 am

We have it under as much control as is possible I guess... time will tell if he is going to co-operate..lol Thanks to you all for your help and advice or just good wishes.. You are all very much appreciated in this time of trauma and drama... Take Care All... hope to chat again with only positives to report. Christy

Confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top