Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Titers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Titers

Post  Miss Pugg on 8/10/2012, 9:42 pm

Has anyone done titers on their dogs? Ivy with an unknown background is due for a DHPP shot but after reading an article about what the shots can do, I'm kind of dragging my feet. From her sparse medical history, it looks like she got her puppy shots but that's it. She's 5.5 years old now. I was curious about the cost and do they test for each disease? My vet has never done titers but will read up on it to do them if I want. I figured it was something fairly common so I was surprised when I heard she'd not done them. She's a country vet in a small town, dogs and cats only. I'd love to hear from anyone who has some facts and figures. When my dogs got to be about 8 or 9, I did stop all shots but rabies. Sassy had hers done upon former owner's surrender at the Humane Society, about 5 or 6 shots in her tiny body in just 2 hours when I picked her up. She was pretty lethargic for the next few days. Thanks
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Re: Titers

Post  Pugsaunt on 8/13/2012, 7:15 pm

I do titers with Penny - at her age, I really don't want her vaccinated. They were pricier than the vaccines at her old vet; haven't priced them with her new dogtor, but I will shortly. As an interesting side note, the local Animal Control won't take a rabies titer any more for a license. Either proof of vaccination or a letter from the dogtor. And that is another problem that I had with the old dogtor - they didn't want any liability in case Penny got rabies and bit someone. scratch Say what????? Shocked
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Titers

Post  Miss Pugg on 8/13/2012, 7:22 pm

Thanks Nancy: I didn't even do rabies towards the end for both Buffy and Lulu when they were in their middle teens. Rabies enforcement here is lax now a hotshot investigator has gone away. I probably will go ahead with the shots (sigh) as I really am not anxious for my vet to do titers (she's never done them). Ivy's former owner said she hasn't h ad any since her puppy shots and she's 5.5 now.
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 8/13/2012, 8:53 pm

It's not a big deal to do it - they draw the blood and send it to the lab to check for antibodies. Just check the cost first, as I got kinda sorta blindsided at Penny's former dogtor.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow on 8/13/2012, 10:31 pm

You can have the blood sent to Dr. Jean Dodds at Hemopet: https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet/samples/hemopet_form

Notice the cost is provided on this website.

They do titer testing for rabies, distemper and parvovirus. You don't need them done for parainfluenza and adenovirus as they are not a concern nowadays.
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 8/13/2012, 11:19 pm

I'm not a great source for this, as Sammy's early vet records were non-existant (since he was a stray when picked up), and I changed my mind somewhere in there in the time since I've had him. But I have told myself that iF I had a puppy again, I'd do puppy shots and then boosters at a year, and then titers after that. But then I also vaccinate against Lyme, which seems somewhat counterintuitive to my overall loosely held "don't overvaccinate" stance.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid on 8/16/2012, 4:11 am

I'd be happy if I never had to do vaccinations again. Thurston's last rabies caused him to have an allergic skin reaction that went on for 5 weeks. I did bortatella last round, but only because Kimchi got it from the neighborhood (not from direct contact with a dog). The that vaccination only covers something like 3 of the 17 strains.

I did just have a client have her dog come down with parvo as an adult. That is concerning to me.
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 8/16/2012, 12:22 pm

Not Afraid wrote:

I did just have a client have her dog come down with parvo as an adult. That is concerning to me.

Really? This is scary to hear!
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis on 8/16/2012, 7:45 pm

Any dog without proper vaccinations, or titer levels, can get parvo. I've seen it in puppies and adults. If you don't vaccinate, please please get her titers checked. It's almost epidemic in Minneapolis, and it's just so heartbreaking when pets come down with it. We saw 3 cases in one week this summer just at my vets office.
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum