Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Pug and allergies

5 posters

Go down

My Pug and allergies Empty My Pug and allergies

Post  Darryl68 8/13/2012, 6:09 pm

I have a black female who is eight years old ...i have had to put her on venectyl twice in her recent years....her itching every half hour under her hide legs would get so bad neither of us would sleep...the vet told me i could use reactine and i tried but it had no effect at 5mg doses and i didn't want to go over 5mg.....so back to another cycle of venectyl.....we tried to relate it to a season...but i even had her on venectyl in Nov.....this time it Aug......i've tried to narrow down the allergic reaction to no avail......would appreciate any help in htis matter...thx..

Darryl68

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

My Pug and allergies Empty Re: My Pug and allergies

Post  Pugsaunt 8/13/2012, 7:12 pm

What food is your girl on? Penny Lane has a major allergy to wheat (as do quite a few pugs, I am given to understand). When she gets anything with wheat in it, she itches like a madpugwoman, then gets yeast in her ears followed by a bacterial infection. Soy and corn don't make her itch, but give her gas that will blow out the windows. Some proteins can also be problematic. Penny gets grain-free, single source protein kibble - right now we are on Earthborn buffalo. We switch proteins every couple of bags to avoid her building an allergy. Thanks in part to PA, I have become a devout label reader on all of her treats and her food. Blanche's sticky on dog food ingredients at the top of this forum might be helpful to you. Sending you good thoughts that you find the reason and a fix for the itching soon.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 8/14/2012, 7:58 am

Could be food but if it is only happening once or twice a year I would suspect it is something environmental.

As an initial step I would wipe her down thoroughly with a wet wipe every time she comes in from outside, including her paws. This will minimise any pollens she may be bringing in and could help.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/14/2012, 1:19 pm

I agree with Bella that it could be something environmental. One of my pugs gets random breakouts too. I do think exposure to allergens like wheat contribute to his breakouts, but I also believe that it is more environmental. As I have built up his immune system and limited his access to common allergenic foods, he gets the rashes much less often.

Add some fish oil or coconut oil to your pugs food. It is good for the coat and skin.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/16/2012, 4:03 am

I would take a several pronged approach with this. Take her off all grain in BOTH food and treats, take her off Chicken, wipe her paws, legs and belly down when she goes outside and work on building up her immune system. Allergies are an immune response. Thurston had itchy inner thigh syndrome a few weeks ago - and this is a dog that has rarely had allergies. I am positive the reaction was a result of his rabies vaccination taxing his immune system. And, this is a pug that has been on raw since he was 6 months old and is as healthy as a horse!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down