Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atopica/ciclosporin

5 posters

Go down

Atopica/ciclosporin Empty Atopica/ciclosporin

Post  H the P 8/29/2012, 8:52 am

I seem to remember that some of my pug-owning friends may have, or have had, their pugs on Atopica (ciclosporin)? Our vet has suggested it as a possibility for Hattie, the itchiest pug in the world and now aged 9. I'd be so grateful if anyone who has been there and done that, could find time to post or message me with some background info and advice?
Many thanks in advance.

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Atopica/ciclosporin Empty Re: Atopica/ciclosporin

Post  Saira 8/29/2012, 9:50 am

Sophie has been on Atopic for over 3 years. It's an immune suppressant so there are definite drawbacks to using it, however, for us it's been a lifesaver. It's allowed us to lower her steroid dosages to tiny amounts, and we monitor her bloodwork every 6 months, and we have been able to taper it off to lower amounts. Sophie has an iron stomach so she's never had any of the side effects, but I know a few people who have had some, mainly throwing up. You have to figure out a good time to give it (empty stomach usually). We do have to be careful about taking her out to parks and stuff because it does increase her susceptibility to crud.

Obviously I'd try other methods first (changing food, etc) but it's definitely helped us.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 8/29/2012, 11:25 am

Zoe's been on Atopica for at least 1 yr. Once I ran out and she was off it for a few days. Boy did I realize how well it works! Her constant itching not only made me feel bad for her, but also a bit anxious. Crying or Very sad

I get her the generic version, 50mg. from California Pet Pharmacy. Still pricy but about 1/2 the cost of brand. She gets one in a pill pocket every morning.

http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/cyclosporine-50mg-30-count--atopica-alternative-.html

Good luck!
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 8/29/2012, 8:01 pm

Gidget was on it for several years and it didn't seem to be really doing what we hoped it to do. We finally did allergy testing at a new vet's suggestion. It was so worth it for us. We found out she had a bunch of food and environmental allergies. Once we were able to control the food allergies the itchies got better. Now we are hoping for the fall to come soon so the summer itches stop!
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 8/30/2012, 8:21 am

Thank you, everyone. I'm still undecided but am leaning towards not going there because of the unpleasant side effects - particularly the sickness. Hattie is such a tiny pug and I just don't think her little body could cope with it. But no firm decision yet.

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 8/31/2012, 8:39 am

Izzy has been on the generic version for several years. She's on the 50 mg dose and gets it every other day during major allergy season, every third day through most of the summer and once per week in the winter. It has been a miracle cure for her but I also still do an allergy food and coconut oil daily. I also use benydryl and genisis spray doing bad periods.

You start them out on a higher dose daily and then after 8-10 weeks you should be able to cut back to every other day and then possibly even less than that. It says to give on an empty stomach but Izzy throws it back up both on an empty stomach and with a meal. I give her dose 2 hours after her supper hidden in a lump of canned food.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down