Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Switching food

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switching food

Post  Juwarren1982 on 9/2/2012, 7:31 pm

I need advice on my newly adopted two year old pug named Bella. Her family was giving her away on Craigslist, due to the daughters lack of interest and her receiving little to no attention. They had gotten her at a year old from some pug rescue, so I don't know her history before that. She is up to date on all her shots and seems to be as healthy as can be. The only issue I am having with her, she shows very little interest in her food. She doesn't seem to want to eat it and only will when she is starving. I know she is eating at least half a cup a day and whatever crumbs she is getting from my kids. So she makes at least two bowel movements daily. Her previous owner said in the warm weather she isn't interested in her food, but I've never seen a pug pass up food. So my question is, should I try to switch her food (she is currently eating IAMS) since she doesn't have any allergies or could she be depressed from the transition? Thanks!
Juwarren1982

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Re: Switching food

Post  GingerSnap on 9/2/2012, 7:50 pm

I'd say both, honestly. It's not uncommon for pugs who are normally chow-hounds to temporarily not want to eat when they change homes.

But even having said that, Iams isn't the best food out there, and she could probably get better nutrition. This web site may help you find some better choices: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I'm a little concerned, though, that your friend just gave you a pug that came from a rescue. It sounds like you will be a better home that where Bella was before, but rescues almost always have return clauses in their contracts, so she really should have returned Bella to them. I'd have your vet scan her for a chip so that you can at least let the rescue know that you have her and that she's safe.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Juwarren1982 on 9/2/2012, 8:46 pm

Good idea and thanks, I know there is better food, I'm just nervous switching because of their notorious allergies. I'll definitely check that site out.
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Juwarren1982 on 9/2/2012, 9:03 pm

There are so many choices to pick from, is there any specific brands that pugs do better on? I want her to have the best.
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 9/3/2012, 12:52 am

GingerSnap wrote:
I'm a little concerned, though, that your friend just gave you a pug that came from a rescue. It sounds like you will be a better home that where Bella was before, but rescues almost always have return clauses in their contracts, so she really should have returned Bella to them. I'd have your vet scan her for a chip so that you can at least let the rescue know that you have her and that she's safe.

I have to second this. Please, find out which rescue she came from and make sure to let them know you have her. I don't know of any reputable rescue that does not have a clause in their contract requiring the dog be returned if the adopter cannot keep them.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon on 9/3/2012, 9:28 am

We got Freddie from a pug breeder in New Jersey. (She's on the boards of two reputable pug societies, has shown at a number of dog shows, including Westminster, and also raises mastiffs - she's been a breeder for over 30 years, so I do trust her opinion). She has her pugs on "Holistic Health Extension" Little Bites - it's not an easy food to find everywhere, but the ingredients seem to be high quality and it is usually rated highly in the comparision charts. She also supplemented with raw food, but that's not a commitment I'm comfortable making here. I do give him the occasional little pieces of cooked salmon and plain roast chicken for training treats.

I'd not used this food in the past, but the breeder feels it is excellent for coats, for it's high quality and for not triggering allergies (at least this is what she has found for her dogs). Just passing it along in case you would like to check it out.
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/4/2012, 2:39 pm

Welcome to Pug Authority - there are a lot of knowledgeable and very nice people here. Congratulations on saving your girl from a bad situation, although I would also recommend that you contact the rescue.

As to food, there is a very good sticky by Blanche under the General Medical and Nutrition topic - a ton of excellent information. I have Penny on grain-free single protein source food, and she does very well - no itching, scratching, no more ear infections, small non-stinky poops, her coat is black velvet. Iams is not the best food in the world. A good grain-free kibble will cost more, but you will feed a lot less, because she will be getting more available nutrition from her food and not getting the fillers and grain. Penny gets 1/8 cup twice a day. She got Taste of the Wild for a while, and now we're on Earthborn. There are a lot of good grain free brands out there - just read labels. There are many more knowledgeable people here who can give you more and better advice on food.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 9/4/2012, 3:06 pm

Interesting that the family put her on craigslist, instead of returning her to the pug rescue they got her from. Almost all rescue require a contract that says if you can't keep the pug, you MUST return it to the rescue.
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo on 9/4/2012, 3:08 pm

GingerSnap wrote:....I'm a little concerned, though, that your friend just gave you a pug that came from a rescue. It sounds like you will be a better home that where Bella was before, but rescues almost always have return clauses in their contracts, so she really should have returned Bella to them. I'd have your vet scan her for a chip so that you can at least let the rescue know that you have her and that she's safe.
I didn't read farther down, and you posted what I said, except you mentioned the chip. Good idea. The rescue should learn where their former rescue pug is now.
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan on 9/6/2012, 8:43 am

As far as food is concerned our pugs used to be on science diet, but it gave our boy stitch stomach aches. We did a ton of research on dog foods and ended up going with Nutro lamb and rice. They love this stuff, there coats are softer, no bad breath, or overly stinky poops, nice and healthy. Even our new vet commented on how our pugs didn't have bad breath. Ultimately the decision is up to you, just do a ton of research to determine what you feel is the best for your babbies.

And as was previously mentioned in this thread dog food advisor is your friend. I spent allot of time on there checking the ingrediants of food. I stayed away from anything proctor and gamble (My personal preference, as they don't like to list ingrediants and where they come from)
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Post  Juwarren1982 on 11/4/2012, 10:18 pm

An update on Bella= She has been on Taste of the wild since September and is doing great. She has overcome any and all depression from changing living situations. And enjoys mealtime now. I did contact the pug rescue, they wanted me to fill out an application, so I did. Then they just recently contacted me by phone to schedule a home visit and to let me know they are suing Bella's former owner for breach of contract. But, I am pretty disgusted because I was informed that if I didn't pay the three hundred dollar adoption fee, they will seize her from me, because she is their property. I do know that rescues require money to help the dogs they take in, etc, but, the adoption fee was already paid and now this lawsuit will get them even more money from the woman. So why should I give them the money when it could go towards this little girl's vet bills and care? She is more than property to us, she is like a child and I'm just wondering what my rights are as her owner.
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 11/4/2012, 10:35 pm

Juwarren1982 wrote:An update on Bella= She has been on Taste of the wild since September and is doing great. She has overcome any and all depression from changing living situations. And enjoys mealtime now. I did contact the pug rescue, they wanted me to fill out an application, so I did. Then they just recently contacted me by phone to schedule a home visit and to let me know they are suing Bella's former owner for breach of contract. But, I am pretty disgusted because I was informed that if I didn't pay the three hundred dollar adoption fee, they will seize her from me, because she is their property. I do know that rescues require money to help the dogs they take in, etc, but, the adoption fee was already paid and now this lawsuit will get them even more money from the woman. So why should I give them the money when it could go towards this little girl's vet bills and care? She is more than property to us, she is like a child and I'm just wondering what my rights are as her owner.

So sorry about all of this.

I am not sure which rescue you are dealing with. I serve on a rescue up here in AK, as a board member and adoption coordinator. What we have done in the past when there has been some dispute is to have a board meeting and invite the involved party (that would be you), to attend the meeting. It basically is an open discussion about the situation where everyone has a say.

They are perfectly within their rights to sue the previous owner for breach of contract, although I wonder how they have the financial means to spend money on an attorney for something like that (maybe an attorney is doing the work pro bono)? I would think the bigger concern would be determining that Bella is okay. I will back up the rescue here though, regardless of if a dog was returned and then readopted or not, we do charge an adoption fee for each adoption. We have had dogs returned who we readopted out. We collected an adoption fee each time.

I recommend staying calm and working with the rescue, not against them. Maybe you can negotiate a reduced adoption fee if you can show that you have already covered some medical needs Bella has needed, that they would have paid for, had she been returned to them.
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 11/4/2012, 11:16 pm

Ugh. This is a really stinky situation, and I hope the rescue has the good sense to realize that if YOU hadn't called THEM, they wouldn't even know that their adopter had rehomed Bella in the first place, let alone that you were the person who had her. To punish you for providing that information by taking Bella away serves no purpose.
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 11/4/2012, 11:54 pm

Renee wrote:I recommend staying calm and working with the rescue, not against them. Maybe you can negotiate a reduced adoption fee if you can show that you have already covered some medical needs Bella has needed, that they would have paid for, had she been returned to them.
I think this is a critical point. It's obvious that you love Bella, and I think that if they see that everyone is working toward the same goal of the right home for her, then you should be able to work something out. Applying medical expenses that they would have covered toward the adoption fee would seem like a reasonable solution.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 11/5/2012, 5:22 am

I am so sorry you have to deal with this after doing all to care for and love Bella! You've been given great advice and hopefully you can sort something out with the rescue. With rescues so full at the moment and adopters rather thin on the ground, I doubt they have any intention of taking her from you, they obviously just want the money they would have gotten if the contract had been honoured. It's a little cold, but that's unfortunate. I would agree to that it's imperative to maintain a cordial, open dialogue with the rescue to sort something out that makes everyone happy. The very best of luck and please let us know what happens.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 on 11/5/2012, 11:25 am

SacramentoPugs wrote:Ugh. This is a really stinky situation, and I hope the rescue has the good sense to realize that if YOU hadn't called THEM, they wouldn't even know that their adopter had rehomed Bella in the first place, let alone that you were the person who had her. To punish you for providing that information by taking Bella away serves no purpose.

I agree. I can understand them wanting you to fill out an application and doing a home visit to check on her current situation, but to threaten you with taking her away if you don't pay them an adoption fee is ludicrous.
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Juwarren1982 on 11/5/2012, 11:40 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know rescues have good intentions, and that's what I thought when I originally contacted them. Sadly I do not have the three hundred dollars to just hand over. It would be different if it was paying a vet bill or her care, then I'd pay it. I am dealing with Pug Luv out of Michigan. I got a phone call from the guy running it, he didn't even provide his name and was not very nice on the phone, like I was in the wrong. There's just SO many homeless dogs, I am surprised he is so willing to take her and that is the part I am not sure about. If he can legally do it. I am more than happy to work with the rescue, but the tone of the conversation and threatening of seizing his property, doesn't lead me to believe they give one iota about this dog or willing to negotiate. It seems to be about money, not the well being of Bella. To be ripped out of a home where she is NEVER alone to be crated or left alone for long periods of time. We just got her to stop being a scaredy cat because she seems like she was abused. So to think of where she could end up if it's not with us brings me to tears.
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  sharronanne on 11/5/2012, 5:20 pm

I'm glad I read this thread. Now that I know that they'll take my dog away if I update them (should I ever find myself in this position), I guess I won't tell.

sharronanne

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers on 11/7/2012, 4:04 pm

This sucks. I don't think they'd get the Pug from me.
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom on 11/8/2012, 11:00 am

I am so very sorry this is happening to you. Please know not all rescues operate in this fashion. You are correct it is about the money with this rescue. She is young. I am not one to say such strong words, but I'm sorry it is the truth. I have delt with this rescue for many many years. Why Jerry & I formed Pug Rescue Network. Our rescue has been mistaken many times over the years with them. Our rescue has been verbally bashed by them for years. There are three Pug rescues in Michigan. We work with one hand in hand. Michigan Pug Rescue or Pug Luv will not work with either of us, which is a shame because we are all rescues for the same common cause. To help save Pugs......

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that you can keep your little one. I know if it were us we would have asked for an adoption application to be filled out and we would have done a homevisit but the fee IMO WAY HIGH but again it's all about he being young and moveable. It's called cherry picking and they do it very well.

Carol Dalton
Adoption Coordinator
Pug Rescue Network
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Happy ending

Post  Juwarren1982 on 4/30/2013, 3:28 pm

I am happy to let everyone know that after all the legalities and wait, Bella is OFFICIALLY mine. She is doing wonderfully and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. On the other hand, I would suggest everyone avoid Michigan Pug Rescue (a.k.a Pug Luv out of Farmington, MI) like the plague. They are not in it for the breed or well being of the dog, and this is a prime example. They were paid thrice over for one dog and unwilling to settle til they made a substantial profit. I don't regret what my family went through because she is well worth it. I appreciate everyone's support on this site and glad to be in the Pug community. http://www.michiganpugrescue.com/animals/detail?AnimalID=5603924#animalOtherPictures
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom on 4/30/2013, 4:03 pm

Oh I am so happy you've gotten to keep Bella in your family!!!! This news just makes my day :)
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy on 5/1/2013, 7:13 am

I'm so glad everything worked out for you and Bella.
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers on 5/1/2013, 7:42 pm

I'm glad to see the good guys won! Congratulations!
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Juwarren1982 on 5/9/2013, 5:49 pm

Thanks everyone. Very Happy
Juwarren1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content