Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Hip Dysplasia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hip Dysplasia

Post  thminis on 9/23/2012, 6:56 pm

Hey guys. I had x rays of Reggie's hips done today during his dental because he's been a little slower on walks sooner than he used to (and some other symptoms). Turns out he has moderate hip dysplasia (worse than mild but not severe). He was already on glucosamine and fish oil, but I'll admit I wasn't consistent about it the last 3 months or so. So he'll be back on that, keep him skinny, and try out Tramadol (we'll likely switch to Rimadyl once he's off his pred).

Like the vet said, it's a pug thing, and at least we caught it "young" (he's like 8 and a half).
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 9/23/2012, 7:47 pm

Clara had it too, and it didn't get caught until late. By that time, it was pretty much bone to bone. Acupuncture helped with pain management, along with her pain meds.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 9/23/2012, 8:24 pm

Theresa:
It's not just a pug thing, it's a canid thing. Wolves, coyotes and all the animals under the name canid have it to some degree. It's why it's almost impossible to totally eradicate it. It just IS endemic to the species.

Hope he does well with the meds and supplements. Might be worth asking if Cartrophen wuill help.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma on 9/25/2012, 2:08 pm

My friends pug was just diagnosed with hip displaysia and she started doing the laser treatments on her (I think it's cold laser treatments but I'm not sure). She noticed a difference just after the first treatment. She gets 6 all together and so far, she's been happy with the results. Her pug is only 5 but she was a puppy mill dog.
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top