Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emergency!

+3
Imon
CSollers
pugsrule
7 posters

Go down

Emergency! Empty Emergency!

Post  pugsrule 10/8/2012, 5:05 pm

Help,we went for a walk and my Moosh got stung by a ground hornet right on her peepee!We got it off and the stinger out.It is swollen of course and i manged to get 1/2 a benadryl down her .any thing else i can/should do?
pugsrule
pugsrule

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Emergency! Empty Re: Emergency!

Post  CSollers 10/8/2012, 5:23 pm

Is there an emergency vet in you area? I'd tske him if so, If not call your vet to see if there's an off hour contact number. Besides the benedryl I don't know what else you can do.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 10/8/2012, 5:32 pm

I looked at some of the on-line vet advice sites, and they seem to say to give the antihistamine (which you've done), check that breathing is normal (sounds like it is) and to use cold packs on and off for the first day (not ice, just cool to coldish). They also say to make a paste of baking soda and just enough water to make it spreadable. They seem to say it's ok if the dog licks it off.

Hope she's feeling better soon - poor little thing. That has to HURT!
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/8/2012, 5:38 pm

I would try for more benedryl!!!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsrule 10/8/2012, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replys! I too went online to check what else i could do in the mist of my partial panic Shocked As she has never been stung before so i wasnt sure if she was allergic or not.And i must say to be stung on your private parts has got to hurt a LOT more than anywhere else..poor girl.I did put the baking soda paste on it but i wonder if that stung there also..She is doing good,had chills for a few minutes but is breathing and acting fine now,thank god!
pugsrule
pugsrule

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/8/2012, 7:30 pm

Ouch! Benadryl is a very good idea, and a cool pack, too. Poor little thing!!!!!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 10/9/2012, 10:36 pm

It's always best to have children's (not adults) liquid benadryl around. Some might know more on the dosage but I have mine noted as 10cc to give to my babies and they range from 16-25lbs. I keep the bottle in it's pkgd box with the dosage written on the inside of the lid and an oral syringe in the box. In an ER, it's there, directions there, etc. With the liquid, you can squirt it in their mouth because with the pill, IF they are having an allergic reaction, their throats could quickly swell and they wont be able to swallow the pill plus it will take longer to absorb. I hope she is feeling better but please look into getting the liquid to keep on hands and make sure it's childrens. I never had to use mine yet thank dog! Even when the bottle expired, I got a new one.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 10/10/2012, 7:23 pm

I have been buying the children's Benadryl tablets that are grape flavored or Walmart has the generic version in cherry flavor. My dogs love them and take without any trouble
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/10/2012, 7:25 pm

leslyeb wrote:I have been buying the children's Benadryl tablets that are grape flavored or Walmart has the generic version in cherry flavor. My dogs love them and take without any trouble
What a great idea! Thank you - Penny hates the taste of Benadryl, and it is often a battle to get it down her. Now if they made a flavored tramadol - that stuff is rank!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum