Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Chronic UTI's - I need some help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chronic UTI's - I need some help

Post  Renee on 10/29/2012, 1:52 pm

My girl pug Tobey has been having recurrent UTI's for the last year. Before last fall, she had never had one. She is 9 years old and was spayed at 8 months.

Most recently, she has had one since August 2nd that has not gone away. We have had her on baytril, clavamox, and now another med (cannot remember the name). The results of her most recent C&S just came back today, and the infection is still there.

I have been doing everything 'right'. I don't waste my time with the urinalysis. We always do culture and sensitivity with sterile urine. I always follow up with a C&S after an antibiotic treatment. She does not eat kibble. She gets lots of access to water and gets outside to pee.

From a physical exam, she appears to be structurally normal.

I am at my wits end. The C&S results tell which antibiotic to use, and yet, they are not working to kill her infection. We have done extended treatments on the abx to try and kill the infection and still nothing.

Any advice or things I am missing?
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Chronic UTI's - I need some help

Post  Pugsaunt on 10/29/2012, 4:47 pm

No advice or suggestions, just a ton of good wishes and prayers that Tobey's UTI clears soon.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma on 10/29/2012, 6:39 pm

I am going to say something that will sound really stupid but I swear it has helped Ally. I wipe her off with a wet paper towel every time she goes outside. She has an "inny" little girl part and it stays really wet and she also basically sits to pee and touches the ground. She also sits when she poops. It has seemed to really help to keep her clean (since being a pug she can't reach to clean herself very well). I know isn't the answer to bladder infections but I have found she hasn't had nearly as many since I started cleaning her off.
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 10/29/2012, 8:03 pm

Update from the vet - the bacteria strain is resistant to most known antibiotics. We are being referred to a veterinary internist.

Crying or Very sad
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 on 10/30/2012, 9:53 am

Renee wrote:Update from the vet - the bacteria strain is resistant to most known antibiotics. We are being referred to a veterinary internist.

Crying or Very sad

Let me guess...proteus? It's a nasty bug and one that we battled before with Pugsy. There's some good info here about proteus: http://www.pugauthority.com/t8021-info-on-proteus-infections

I want to say that we used tri-meth sulfa as the antibiotic that cleared it up for her but it's been several years now. I'd have to look back through her records to tell you for sure. Sending good thoughts for Tobey!! hug dog
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 10/30/2012, 5:33 pm

Well, crap. I second Linda's advice on cleaning her nether parts. I've been doing that with Ms. Thang, and she hasn't had a UTI since I started. Everything crossed and a huge prayer that the internist dogtor finds the right antibiotic.
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 10/31/2012, 4:56 pm

A ton of good thoughts for Tobey, Renee.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 10/31/2012, 5:15 pm

Ugh. This sucks.

She had her ultrasound and bloodwork today. Of course, the vet won't tell me over the phone what the results are. I have to go in at 2 (soon). Why do I feel so nervous??
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  donnag on 11/1/2012, 10:09 am

I'm hoping for good news Renee.
donnag

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 11/1/2012, 1:06 pm

Okay, first, I am not really liking this vet very much.

She wants me to put Tobey on probiotics, which I agree with. She suggested FortiFlora (made by purina) or Prostora (made by Iams). After looking up the ingredients in both products, I decided I would not use either. The purina product has 'animal digest' as a first ingredient. Really? What does that have to do with probiotics? The Iams product has artificial coloring and flavoring. Okay... what for?

So, I ordered some of the B-Naturals probiotics and enzymes to use.

The results of the ultrasound show that Tobey's kidneys are 'darker' than normal. Meaning she will likely have kidney disease in the near future, although her blood work shows kidney function is still good. Slight elevation on the liver values, but that could be from the non-stop antibiotics for the last 3 months.

No stones or tumors were visible.

We have a prescription for a new antibiotics, but I have get it from a special pharmacy, so I will be doing that today. The exact bacteria is MRSP.

Other than that, no real answers, but nothing bad to report.
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 11/1/2012, 1:17 pm

No stones or tumors is good news. Hope the probiotics do the trick!
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 11/1/2012, 4:37 pm

Methcillin-resistant staph? Oh, man that sucks. Penny had that in her ears a few years back, and it was a bugger to get rid of. Many good thoughts and prayers for Tobey and for you. Poor little thing.
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 11/1/2012, 5:23 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:Methcillin-resistant staph? Oh, man that sucks. Penny had that in her ears a few years back, and it was a bugger to get rid of. Many good thoughts and prayers for Tobey and for you. Poor little thing.

Exactly Nancy. In the ears or on the skin (which can cause pyoderma) is much more common. My vet has never seen this bacteria in a urine culture.
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 11/1/2012, 7:05 pm

Renee wrote:
Pugsaunt wrote:Methcillin-resistant staph? Oh, man that sucks. Penny had that in her ears a few years back, and it was a bugger to get rid of. Many good thoughts and prayers for Tobey and for you. Poor little thing.
Exactly Nancy. In the ears or on the skin (which can cause pyoderma) is much more common. My vet has never seen this bacteria in a urine culture.
She's gonna be on some big gun antibiotics for a while. The probiotics are an excellent thing to be doing, and I'd even put an extra blop of fat free plain yogurt on her meals. Please keep me posted on her treatment - inquiring minds are curious as to what the latest treatment for MRSA is. Hugs to both of you.
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 11/1/2012, 8:54 pm

Oh, Renee, that sucks! I've never even heard of MRSA in a dog's bladder. Hugs to both you and Ms. Tobey that this isn't a total bitch to get rid of.
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 11/1/2012, 11:32 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:
Renee wrote:
She's gonna be on some big gun antibiotics for a while. The probiotics are an excellent thing to be doing, and I'd even put an extra blop of fat free plain yogurt on her meals. Please keep me posted on her treatment - inquiring minds are curious as to what the latest treatment for MRSA is. Hugs to both of you.

Yes, the big guns are out. Her meds are being compounded by the ONLY pharmacy in town that can do it, and they are having to consult with a pharmacy in Texas to get it done. She could be on them for months. I am praying they aren't too expensive!

Thank you all for responding though. This has certainly been a learning experience.
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top