Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazing video from Crufts.

+4
Lilos Mom
lindarpugma
ayleash
northernwitch
8 posters

Go down

Amazing video from Crufts. Empty Amazing video from Crufts.

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2013, 12:35 am

Rallypug, I really hope you watch this if you haven't seen it before.

I'm not always a freestyle fan, but this is an astounding routine. It's a long-ish video, but watch right to the end or you will miss the best part.

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Amazing video from Crufts. Empty Re: Amazing video from Crufts.

Post  ayleash 1/21/2013, 7:53 am

O... M.... G..... I was marveling.. then double marveling and yes, I was crying at the end.. so much work, practice, and love there!
Thank you for sharing!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 1/21/2013, 10:10 am

One word: Wow
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2013, 1:49 pm

lindarpugma wrote:One word: Wow
No kidding. I was watching for the cues and most are too subtle for me to see and I'm assuming some have to do with body position. I can't even imagine how one would begin to shape for this. The high stepping front legs is my favourite--although i do know how I would train and cue that.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 1/21/2013, 5:39 pm

WOW!!!
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Rallypug 1/21/2013, 6:06 pm

Thank you for posting that video! Loved the double back ups and I do appreciate how hard those are to train for. I did pick up on some of her cues-body position, subtle hand cues, verbal and fairly extensive eye contact Border Collies seem to be able to maintain. When I took freestyle classes I soon realized formal obedience training helps but the pure joy of moving freely seemed to elude Stubby and me. The joy of being out there with their handler was certainly evident and as far as I am concerned whatever you decide to do with your dog enjoyment for both comes first.
Rallypug
Rallypug

Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2013, 6:21 pm

Rallypug wrote:Thank you for posting that video! Loved the double back ups and I do appreciate how hard those are to train for. I did pick up on some of her cues-body position, subtle hand cues, verbal and fairly extensive eye contact Border Collies seem to be able to maintain. When I took freestyle classes I soon realized formal obedience training helps but the pure joy of moving freely seemed to elude Stubby and me. The joy of being out there with their handler was certainly evident and as far as I am concerned whatever you decide to do with your dog enjoyment for both comes first.
It really is interesting, isn't it, Rallypug! One of the things that I've learned doing the scenting with Jo is that a really formally trained obedience dog struggles with the scenting work as you don't want to the dog always focused on you and you want the dog to not be all that willing to come off of "scent". There were two dogs in our first scenting class who are really top notch obedience dogs and they really struggled (as did their handlers) with the "work independently" aspects of scenting work. Our instructor talked about seeing scenting work as letting the Inner Hooligan in your dog take the fore front. Fortunately, Jojo has no trouble with that!

I do wonder if border collies don't excel at some of this stuff because of how much of their work ethic is off leash and eye contact. I loved my border collies with a passion when I had them. But I no longer have the drive to own them properly.

And I couldn't agree with you more about the enjoyment factor. I won't do anything that my dogs don't enjoy.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 1/22/2013, 10:58 pm

Just amazing!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/23/2013, 6:05 am

So cool! Border Collies are so incredibly smart and laser focused. What a great breed. But, this one has skills that I've never dreamed about!

I did scent classes with a client's Belgian Malinois and it was fascinating. I really want to see Thurston or Kimchi do that. Food is the ONLY thing that gets their attention.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/24/2013, 1:36 pm

That was amazing. I've never seen it done with two dogs. Incredible, just incredible. I keep saying I want to adopt an aussie or border collie mix, but am I up for it? :)
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/24/2013, 2:09 pm

Brenda wrote:That was amazing. I've never seen it done with two dogs. Incredible, just incredible. I keep saying I want to adopt an aussie or border collie mix, but am I up for it? :)
HA! I had border collies for years and you really have to bring your A game if you want happy borders......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/24/2013, 3:30 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Brenda wrote:That was amazing. I've never seen it done with two dogs. Incredible, just incredible. I keep saying I want to adopt an aussie or border collie mix, but am I up for it? :)
HA! I had border collies for years and you really have to bring your A game if you want happy borders......

Aussie then? It will be a while before I do anything, after Dewey and Shasta leave me. I was thinking a middle aged rescue and it will be a mix of some sort. My husband thinks I am nuts. Maybe just a mix breed of some sort one day.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/24/2013, 4:29 pm

Brenda wrote:
northernwitch wrote:

Aussie then? It will be a while before I do anything, after Dewey and Shasta leave me. I was thinking a middle aged rescue and it will be a mix of some sort. My husband thinks I am nuts. Maybe just a mix breed of some sort one day.
Careful with the Aussies. I see a lot of temperament issues with Aussies and the merles have numerous health issues. They can be as high drive as border collies and not as malleable, in my experience. And for whatever reason, I find a lot of aussies not good with flat faced breeds.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down