Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flooding kibble

+10
papaspugs
Deanna
Banditsmom
akc0104
LisaIzzyAggy
SacramentoPugs
Brenda
northernwitch
Renee
Rebecca and the Pugs
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flooding kibble Empty Flooding kibble

Post  Pugsaunt 1/21/2013, 4:59 pm

OK, Blanche and others, when you say you flood their kibble with water, how high is the flood? Is the kibble swimming, or just wading? Do you drop the kibble in the deep end, or do you let it soak? I don't think I'm getting it right. And do you ever use low sodium chicken broth, or just water?
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Flooding kibble Empty Re: Flooding kibble

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 1/21/2013, 5:04 pm

This is what I do for my pugs and my foster Boston: I flood the kibble with water so it floats and put it in the fridge for the next meal. At meal time, I then add additional water to the top, and heat it up in the microwave (about 20-30 seconds for each bowl). I then prepare the food for the next meal. They eat two meals a day.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 1/21/2013, 5:07 pm

I toss the measure of kibble into a bowl, and a little less than the same measure of water... It goes right into their tummies with the kibble...

If I were to let it soak as described above, I'd probably feed less kibble as it sure swells up when I do that!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/21/2013, 5:16 pm

My pugs are on THK - but for fosters I always flood the kibble too. I measure in the kibble and then add about the same amount of water (1/3 to 1/4 cup). I use hot, hot water (I will use chicken stock on occassion).

Let it 'cook' for about 15 minutes while THK is also hydrating and then good to go.

I like Rebecca's routine. If I was a kibble feeder, I would probably do the same thing.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 1/21/2013, 6:26 pm

hee hee... I am using very wet THK as the water in my Ohna's kibble! And I leave IT prepped and soaking from meal to meal - I make about 4 meals worth in a tupperware at a time... and I make it very wet... so I shake it and pour it over the kibble!
ayleash
ayleash

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2013, 6:28 pm

A cup or more of water or unsalted stock. I leave kibble out to absorb whatever water it can. But I usually use at least a cup of water....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/21/2013, 9:33 pm

Okay, I give, what's the purpose of this?
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2013, 10:47 pm

Brenda wrote:Okay, I give, what's the purpose of this?

Serves a couple of purposes, Brenda. I have had several dogs that had issues with hydration and a couple of dogs with ongoing UTI/Crystal issues. The flooding the food increases fluid intake which encourages peeing which flushes bladder. It is both preventive for UTIs and crystals and can help clear a crystal dog of crystals. The reason the vet diets work is that most are loaded with salt which makes dogs drink more. I think the salt content has the potential to be damaging over the long haul, so I opt to flood food rather than use a high salt food.

Dry kibble is also the least bio-available and tends to suck moisture out of the stomach and system to expand and digest. There is some evidence that soaked kibble is less likely to increase risk of bloat--although the information about bloat is all over the map.

Many people object to flooding kibble on the theory that chewing kibble keeps teeth clean and helps eliminate tartar. This is mostly mythology. Most dogs don't actually chew their kibble much (some do, but most don't) unless the kibble is massive. And most don't chew it enough, if they do chew it, to have much effect on dental hygiene.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 1/22/2013, 1:26 am

That "crunchy food keeps their teeth clean!" routine is just so tired, isn't it? If I'm getting nowhere trying to debunk that myth with someone, I usually ask them if they'd rely on a bag of Corn Nuts a day in lieu of having their kids brush their teeth. Works almost every time. Wink
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/22/2013, 1:32 am

I do it to slow down eating and to get more water into them to decrease UTI's. My girls get 1/4 cup of kibble and I add 1/3 cup of warm water and serve immediately. I usually throw in a heaping teaspoon of canned also.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/22/2013, 1:05 pm

hmm.... I may have to try this. Shasta inhales her food and they are both on Royal Canin Urinary SO as Dewey keeps getting crystals (Shasta did too). Interesting.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 1/22/2013, 1:28 pm

I will also add - and remember, I am not with pug at present - I have changed to "large breed" sized kibble for my terriers. Well, only one is on it so far, the other is finishing off a fair amount of other kibbles that did not agree with Mr. Fancy Gut... but he is clearly stopping and crunching the larger kibbles, which I confess "sounds" better to me than the slurping inhalation... That being said, nothing has come up from below from either of them in a long time, but when it did/does, it was clearly unchewed...

The ingredients are the same, the kcal per ounce/gram only minutely different (in favor of the larger kibbles), and the large kibbles are the size of grapes, while the small ones are the size of peas.
ayleash
ayleash

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 1/22/2013, 2:29 pm

I need to do this too. The only time Matilda consistantly drinks is when I come home. If I walk in the front door, she goes and gets a drink but I rarely see her drink at other times.

But I am afraid of the barking and screaming while the food is soaking. Flooding kibble 6260
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 1/22/2013, 4:57 pm

akc0104 wrote:I need to do this too. The only time Matilda consistantly drinks is when I come home. If I walk in the front door, she goes and gets a drink but I rarely see her drink at other times.

But I am afraid of the barking and screaming while the food is soaking. Flooding kibble 6260

Just a note on this behavior - mine do this too and I consider it "self-monitoring." They know I am home, so we are going out (a) right away, and (b) before I leave them again, so now is a GREAT time to water up... I shows brilliance, imho!
ayleash
ayleash

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/22/2013, 6:16 pm

Thanks, all. I'll switch Ms. Thang to a ceramic bowl, have the kibble swimming, microwave it, and then add her yogurt and pumpkin.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/22/2013, 6:33 pm

Here's how avoid the screaming--I put a large tupperware bowl of kibble with water together after they have eaten. Leave bowl for water to soak into kibble, then cover and put in fridge. Bring out when I feed and either let it warm up or nuke it slightly or put in bowl and add additional hot water. Limits the "OMG! The food is out and she's not serving it up. Let's scream our heads off".

I should add that I never, ever feed kibble dry. Never have.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Banditsmom 1/22/2013, 8:01 pm

This is all very intersting, thank you for the information and to the person who asked ,,, why is everyone doing this.

I too will have to try this.
Banditsmom
Banditsmom

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/24/2013, 6:05 pm

northernwitch wrote:Here's how avoid the screaming--I put a large tupperware bowl of kibble with water together after they have eaten. Leave bowl for water to soak into kibble, then cover and put in fridge. Bring out when I feed and either let it warm up or nuke it slightly or put in bowl and add additional hot water. Limits the "OMG! The food is out and she's not serving it up. Let's scream our heads off".

I should add that I never, ever feed kibble dry. Never have.
Great idea, Blanche. While Penny is loving her flooded kibble/pumpkin/yogurt, she is also lecturing me about what a major crime against pugdom I am committing by making her wait.

Banditsmom wrote:This is all very intersting, thank you for the information and to the person who asked ,,, why is everyone doing this.

I too will have to try this.
I wanted to be sure that Penny is getting enough fluids - her urine is a bit stronger-smelling. I knew that Blanche and others flood their pugs' kibble, just didn't know if it should be drowning, swimming, or wading.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/24/2013, 8:49 pm

The flooding is more important for dogs that have some UTI/crystal history or aren't big drinkers. But I do it anyway even with the raw, I add a fair bit of water.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna 1/26/2013, 12:10 am

I also feed Royal Canin S/O and this has been the only food that has kept the crystals away and I have tried multiple things. But I do add water to their food when they eat as I know they don't drink much when we aren't home. I feed a 1/2 cup at each feeding and I would say I add about 1/4 cup water.
Deanna
Deanna

Number of posts : 349

http://www.pugrescueofmo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/27/2013, 10:47 am

Violet is very prone to UTIs so I have always done it with her food. But it is really just easier to do it for all of them. I make up this food a week at a time by putting the exact portion for each pug in a container with their name and with either AM/PM on it. I usually fix a day or two at time with water and will put them in the fridge. I put enough water so that the kibble is completely soaked and ther is a little extra water in the bottom still. Either in the morning or evenings, I can put the containers in the microwave for about 15 secs while I take them outside and then when we come in their food is ready. For the ones that still have teeth, they get bully sticks a couple of times a week to chew on and "floss".
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/28/2013, 1:48 pm

General rule of thumb around flooding is--whatever the measure of dry food then double or preferably triple that with water or stock. So if I'm feeding 1/4 cup of dry, I add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water or stock.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/28/2013, 5:55 pm

Yup, Penny's now getting 1/8 cup of kibble with 1/3 cup of water and a blop of pumpkin and a blop of fat-free Greek yogurt. It makes a kinda pumpkin soup with yogurt floating islands and soft kibble croutons. She loves it.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsrule 5/17/2013, 9:03 pm

I started flooding my two who eat kibbles food.One of mine eats raw and I dont add any water to hers.I did this for about 4 months and I finally figuired out why My oldest Bella who is almost 11 started peeing all over the house!!Flooding kibble 253213I thought maybe she was just getting old or had a UTI which she has never had,I made an apt. for her but before we got in I stopped all the flooding of the kibble and she stopped peeing:DSo now I only dripp a few drops of warm water on the food to mix in the topper.
pugsrule
pugsrule

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  donnag 5/24/2013, 10:30 am

I mini flood! I do 1/3 cup kibble and 1/3 cup water, they moslty only get kibble in the morning at night they get wet or if I do kibble at night they get yogurt or pumpkin in it.
donnag
donnag

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next