Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Could fish oil supp cause digestive issues?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Could fish oil supp cause digestive issues?

Post  donnag on 3/1/2013, 7:35 am

I've been giving my guys a Omega Fatty Acid Supplement for a while now.
Viv would occasionally get a squeaky stomach, then Stewie would get the same squeak not to often but maybe once every 2-3 weeks or so. I changed foods and it seemed to go away for a while. I gave my foster Darby the sup on her dinner (completely different food than my guys) when she first got here because she would not eat and she got the squeaky stomach the next day. It only lasts for a little bit then the min they eat it goes away.
Could it be the supplement? it's the only common denominator.
The love the taste and it helps maintain a beautiful coat but if it is causing stomach issues I don't want to use it anymore.
donnag

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Could fish oil supp cause digestive issues?

Post  LisaIzzyAggy on 3/1/2013, 8:09 am

I mix a fish oil cap in the pugs food without any issues. However, when I use coconut oil they get some digestive issues so I would think it's possible. Maybe try every other day?
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Fish oil

Post  Miss Pugg on 3/1/2013, 11:20 am

It works that way for me also. I can no longer tolerate fish oil at 1,500 mg. twice a day. Terrible digestive problems ensue. I don't use fish oil for my dogs but do use coconut oil for them.
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  donnag on 3/2/2013, 7:40 am

Sometimes they get it everyday with no problems at all then a few times a week.It's so random when it happens. They love the taste and I love how it makes their coat feel. Maybe I'll try the coconut oil and see how that goes.
donnag

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak on 3/2/2013, 9:18 am

Norman actually developed a sensitivity to fish so it started to make his environmental allergies worse (no tummy issues). We've since switched to Ultra Oil (a hemp blend, does have a wee bit of salmon oil in it but doesn't mess with him) in the am and CocoTherapy coconut oil in the pm (I like to sleep with pugs that smell like coconut).

And lots of people have digestive issues with fish oil (I think that's the whole marketing campaign behind the new krill oil pill that is in some special casing that helps prevent it) so makes sense it could be doing the same to dogs.
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnag on 3/2/2013, 9:53 am

Where do you get the Ultra Oil?

the one I am currently using is Dr Fosters Ultra Vita Coat Plus, here is a list of the ing:
Ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Safflower Oil, Mono &
Diglycerides, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Propylparaben,
Ascorbyl Palmitate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Stearate, Natural and
Artificial Bacon Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric
Acid, Rosemary Extract, and Biotin.
donnag

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 3/3/2013, 2:11 am

If you do switch to coconut oil, start slow and work your way up, or diarrhea can occur. Marlee gets a tablespoon once a day, but I recommend starting with 1/4 tablespoon and working your way up gradually.

I had Rhoda on salmon oil for years, but switched to coconut and have loved it ever since. Plushy soft coats with coconut!
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak on 3/4/2013, 10:11 am

donnag wrote:Where do you get the Ultra Oil?

the one I am currently using is Dr Fosters Ultra Vita Coat Plus, here is a list of the ing:
Ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Safflower Oil, Mono &
Diglycerides, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Propylparaben,
Ascorbyl Palmitate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Stearate, Natural and
Artificial Bacon Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric
Acid, Rosemary Extract, and Biotin.

Ultra Oil is available in a couple shops around my way but its also online at most places. Best pricing at Entirelypets.com (also if you go to Ultra Oil's FB page they do frequent giveaways). In general I'm not a fan of the Drs. F & S supplement - I don't use soy (allergen and high in oxylates which I need to avoid for DD's crystals), fish oil (doesn't say what fish) and rosemary extract (rosemary is a natural preservative used in a lot but in some forms can aggravate seizure-conditions like Vince's brain tumor) and propylparaben (if I don't use it to wash my hair I'm not gonna put it in my dog's belly). But that's just my $0.02 Wink
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top