Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supplement to Homemade Diet

5 posters

Go down

Supplement to Homemade Diet Empty Supplement to Homemade Diet

Post  Amanda 3/15/2013, 2:19 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplement to give the girls with their homemade diet? Yes, I'm cooking now. They've pushed me to it. Very Happy I definitely need something with a calcium source and would like glucosamine but it's not a deal breaker. I don't need/want anything terribly complicated but want to ensure they're getting all the necessary nutrients. I've been looking at products online but thought somebody may have a suggestion. I'd ideally like an all-in-one product.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Supplement to Homemade Diet Empty Re: Supplement to Homemade Diet

Post  ayleash 3/15/2013, 5:22 pm

I am not a nutrition whiz, so others will speak with more authority, but mine enjoy a "sprinkle" (well soaked, I use it as the moistener) of Honest Kitchen which comes as a powder (assorted flavors - the fish one is extraordinary (in their opinion))... I mix some up (about a third of a cup with about a cup of water) and let it sit at room temp from meal to meal, pouring a "slurple" onto each meal, then make some more.

ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 3/15/2013, 6:06 pm

Amanda, one thing I used to do is cook a whole chicken until the bones are soft. Then I would just mix the smashed bones right in with the meat. No worries about calcium that way. If I remember correctly, I think I bought bone meal at the health food store to use when feeding other protein sorces. Don't remember how much I used.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/15/2013, 6:26 pm

Amanda, if this is a serious undertaking, I suggest you get Lew Olsen's book Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs. It has a very large section on home cooking.

When I did home cooked for a former foster, I got supplements from B-Naturals (also by Lew Olsen). She is so awesome that you can email her directly, and she will help you formulate a diet plan and correct supplements. She is fairly quick to answer too. I have emailed her a few times over the years and she was always really responsive.

I had a total of three supplements: immune blend, fish oil, and calcium powder. The immune blend from B-Naturals is kind of all inclusive for vitamins, minerals, enzymes and probiotics. I got the fish oil and calcium powder from the health food store.

I did not use bone powder because it is hard to get the measurements correct. I used calcium powder that was from coral (I think?). You can also use ground egg shells, or like Sally suggested, if you can pressure cook the chicken bones until they are soft and powdery, then you can use those.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/15/2013, 6:28 pm

Just wanted to add that I have never seen a complete all-in-one supplement that had the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics AND calcium. It seems like calcium gets left on its own because of the variability.

Also, if you plan to cook ahead and freeze, don't freeze the supplements. I have been told that freezing breaks them down.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/16/2013, 11:20 am

Renee wrote:Just wanted to add that I have never seen a complete all-in-one supplement that had the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics AND calcium. It seems like calcium gets left on its own because of the variability.

Also, if you plan to cook ahead and freeze, don't freeze the supplements. I have been told that freezing breaks them down.
I'm finding the same, in regards to the calcium. I've been looking at the b-naturals site. I need to find time to sit down and read more in-depth.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/18/2013, 10:01 am

When I home cook, I just use finely ground egg shells. I always lightly scramble a few eggs to mix into their food and then just wash the shells and set them out on the counter to dry overnight. We have a small, inexpensive coffee bean grinder that I use just for this purpose. Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground eggshells per pound of food.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade3.html
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down