Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Cataracts and vision loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cataracts and vision loss

Post  Amanda on 3/25/2013, 10:54 am

Lucy has developed cataracts and her vision has deteriorated quite quickly. In talking to the vet, he said we certainly could get surgery but other than the vision loss, it won't bother her unless she develops an associated dry eye condition which is fairly rare. We'll obviously be watching for that.

We've made some adjustments in the house to help her out (keeping more lights on at night, etc) She had a bit of an adjustment period with going up/down steps but is getting better.

The biggest issue we're having right now is with her jumping off the furniture. Because her depth perception is wacky, she's jumping out too far and landing hard and I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself. We have steps for getting on/off the furniture which she uses sometimes and we obviously try to lift her as much as possible but you know how it is when they're always on the furniture. They jump off randomly when you're not expecting it or you get up to do something quickly and they jump down to follow before you can remember to lift them off, etc.

Has anyone dealt with this and come up with anything that helps? I was wondering if area rugs would help show the differentiation between the furniture and floor. It may not even help this particular issue. For a while, she wouldn't jump off at all. It was as if she thought she was just going to be jumping into a big hole. She's seemed to have managed that but now does this jump far, land hard thing.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cataracts and vision loss

Post  Maryjo on 3/25/2013, 12:21 pm

If Lucy 'suddenly' developed cataracts, did the vet check her blood sugar? It can be a sign of diabetes.

My Rocky is blind. I put him on the couch and usually he stays there, but once in awhile he jumps off. luckily the couch is low to the ground. He's learned to kind of slide off.
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 3/25/2013, 12:23 pm

Yes, she's been tested. It's not that they necessarily developed suddenly, it just seems that the vision issue progressed quickly.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap on 3/26/2013, 1:50 am

I unfortunately have no solution to the giant flying leap depth perception thing. Sammy's been doing that for years, and I don't quite understand it. He'll happily go down a full flight of stairs, but stop 2 steps from the bottom and then make that giant flying leap. Rolling Eyes

My new Lucy has pretty severe PK and has also been diagnosed with cataracts in one eye. I'll be scheduling an ophthalmologist appt soon to figure out where to go from here.
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak on 3/26/2013, 4:10 pm

Vince has been blind for years and will stay on the couch most of the time, unless he smells something exciting going on in the other room. We have rugs over hardwood floors but also put a couple of memory foam rugs in key spots (in front of the ottoman thing he likes to lay on and in front of the middle of the couch). This way if he jumps/falls he's got a softer landing. I got them at Bed Bath Beyond (http://video.bedbathandbeyond.com/v/37006/soft-touch-memory-foam-rugs-accents-home/) earlier this year and they look nice and are quite comfy in general.

I always make sure to push the coffee table away from the couch (it has those sliders on it so its just a finger to push it) anytime I get up so I don't have to worry about him hitting that on the way down.

lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs on 3/30/2013, 10:13 am

If you are like me, you like to balance pug confort with aesthetics. Not that anyone ever comes to my house besides dog people, but still. What about some of the floor pillows that can be placed around the couch when he's on it and then they can be stacked beside the couch when not in use. Also, they are great for you and the family when lounging around.
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top