Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Diet and Supplementation for Canine Cognative Dysfunction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diet and Supplementation for Canine Cognative Dysfunction

Post  bigdogtexas on 6/22/2013, 5:20 pm

Canine Cognitive Dysfunction or Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome, is many times compared to canine dementia or Alzheimer’s.  Your dog may have symptoms such as seeming to forget tricks, where it’s food is, spacing out, having “accidents” in the house when that hasn’t happened in many, many years. 
The onset causes of CCD aren’t very clear, but many veterinary nutritionists believe it may be caused by a fatty acid and chelated mineral poor diet.  Most commercial kibble falls in that category, since they put “just enough” minerals in the food to pass the very low AAFCO standards.  Foods with corn and wheat are also a culprit, since those grains are nutrition “thieves”, absorbing the nutrients in food as they expand as sponges, end eliminating them in the stools.
I have never seen a dog with a healthy balanced diet develop CCD.  Foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, low in grains (free of corn wheat soy and sorghum), high in anti-oxidants can all help prevent the development of any kind of cognitive dysfunction.

My favorite multi vitamin supplement is called Vibe by Korbin Labs. This is a human supplement! Not only is it full of anti-oxidants, it’s made with RAW ingredients, not synthetic vitamins and it’s liquid, ensuring a much higher absorption rate.  Chelated minerals are also proven to help with cerebral function, my favorite being Celready by the same laboratory.  A supplement high in omega 3 such as PawMedx Mega Omega (3,500 mg of Omega 3!!) is sure to help.  Last but not least, probiotics.  Running the risk of sounding like a broken record, probiotics are essential for nutrient absorption, as well as immune system boost.

If you can’t find these at your local stores, shoot me a PM, or contact The Paw Depot, who can ship all across the US.

Giulio Ferrari
Clinical Nutritionist 

Last edited by bigdogtexas on 6/22/2013, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
bigdogtexas

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Errata

Post  bigdogtexas on 6/22/2013, 5:33 pm

In the article I said that I have not met a dog on a good diet that has developed CCD.  I just wanted to add that if you have a dog with CCD, that doesn't mean you were giving them a BAD diet.  Many of you are doing the best you can or the best you know.  It's not your fault that pet food manufacturers are great marketeers, but put out junk foods!  Don't forget that just 60 years ago, cigarettes were sold as a therapy!  If you are here, reading these forums, you are doing your part in getting educated, you should be proud of yourself.  Just try to do what you learned from now on!
bigdogtexas

Back to top Go down

Re: Diet and Supplementation for Canine Cognative Dysfunction

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 6/22/2013, 5:38 pm

bigdogtexas wrote:In the article I said that I have not met a dog on a good diet that has developed CCD.  I just wanted to add that if you have a dog with CCD, that doesn't mean you were giving them a BAD diet.  Many of you are doing the best you can or the best you know.  It's not your fault that pet food manufacturers are great marketeers, but put out junk foods!  Don't forget that just 60 years ago, cigarettes were sold as a therapy!  If you are here, reading these forums, you are doing your part in getting educated, you should be proud of yourself.  Just try to do what you learned from now on!
The three that I had that suffered from CCD came to me in their elderly years as foster/hospice pugs. I know the first one was dumped on the side of the freeway, second one received very minimal care before coming into rescue, and I am assuming the third did too, as he ended up in the pound at the age of 14, pulled by another rescue, and then relinquished to us when that rescue folded.

Last edited by Rebecca and the Pugs on 6/22/2013, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogtexas on 6/22/2013, 6:28 pm

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:The two that I had that suffered from CCD came to me in their elderly years as hospice pugs. I know the first one received very minimal care before coming into rescue, and I am assuming the second did too, as he ended up in the pound at the age of 14, pulled by another rescue, and then relinquished to us when that rescue folded.

Thank you so much for the service you are rendering to the breed and to dog's in general.  It's people like you that keep me motivated in continuing to do diligent research!

Giulio Ferrari
Clinical Nutritionist
bigdogtexas

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 6/22/2013, 6:30 pm

I am pretty sure that Penny Lane had CCD when I let her go at age 15.  And I worry about Lucy and CCD - I know that her former owner (that vile person) fed her Iams for her whole life until we got her.  She's on Zignature now, but there are either 6-8 or 11 years of garbage food behind her.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 6/22/2013, 6:34 pm

bigdogtexas wrote:
Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:The two that I had that suffered from CCD came to me in their elderly years as hospice pugs. I know the first one received very minimal care before coming into rescue, and I am assuming the second did too, as he ended up in the pound at the age of 14, pulled by another rescue, and then relinquished to us when that rescue folded.

Thank you so much for the service you are rendering to the breed and to dog's in general.  It's people like you that keep me motivated in continuing to do diligent research!

Giulio Ferrari
Clinical Nutritionist

I forgot I actually had three with CCD, all rescued when they were elderly. The first one was put on Tryptophan and then Anapril to help with symptoms. The second one we did Anapril and acupuncture. The last one was put on Senilife. Unfortunately, by the time these medications/supplements were started there was not much time left for any of them.
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogtexas on 6/22/2013, 6:46 pm

I forgot I actually had three with CCD, all rescued when they were elderly. The first one was put on Tryptophan and then Anapril to help with symptoms. The second one we did Anapril and acupuncture. The last one was put on Senilife. Unfortunately, by the time these medications/supplements were started there was not much time left for any of them.

I've never seen great clinical results with Tryptophan or Anapril .  I don't have a lot of experience with Senilife
bigdogtexas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top