Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Puppy Potty Training

+3
Rebecca and the Pugs
TNPUGMOMOF3
PugMomto3
7 posters

Go down

Question about Puppy Potty Training Empty Question about Puppy Potty Training

Post  PugMomto3 7/19/2013, 10:24 am

Daisy is 10 weeks old now and still so itty bitty.

I am using piddle pads on a snap in try right now and she is amazing!!! I got th esnap in try and the brat was dragging the piddle pads all over! I have to tell you this peanut is such a joy! She has totally brought laughter back after so many years of tears.

I digress. she is doing great with pee-pee. Maybe about 80% of the time she goes onthe piddle pads. We have awesome bacon flavored treats that she gets when she uses the pad. When she goes some place else, it totally ignored and cleaned and disinfected. I do not draw attention to accidents. Am I wrong? I don't tell her "no" I just clean it up. My thoughts on this are she is really to young to understand and I don't want to draw any attention to the negative part of peeing in the wrong place.

Ok so my other question is poop. She is clueless that poopy goes on the pad too. So I thought ok, I wil pick it up and put it in the pad to show her. OMG, she was thoroughly repulsed! Looked at me like I was nuts! I left it here for a few hours, but then she refused to pee, so I cleaned it up and changed the pad. Is it like a child, she will get th epoop thing next? Yesterday she attempted it but pooped next to it. Today, She walked to it, but past it by and squated in the family room, I picked her up and placed her on it, but it was too late as I was placing her, it fell on the floor.

Any advice or opinions? I can't walk her yet or let her out into the yard for so many reason. One she fits through the fence, there are huge hawks that can carry her away, she still needs one more shot (gets that in 2 weeks) and I am neurotic as there are ducks everywhere!

Ok sorry for the novel! :) Thanks in advance.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Question about Puppy Potty Training Empty Re: Question about Puppy Potty Training

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 7/19/2013, 11:35 am

I have never used pee pads to train a dog, so I am no help there. I was always outside with them to reward, etc. I usually try to interrupt a potty inside, and redirect outside (in my case) so that they get into the habit. I don't use "no" but more of a "Eh Eh!". I think the smells of outside help the process and in my case my herd helps show how it's  supposed to be done!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Question about Puppy Potty Training Empty Re: Question about Puppy Potty Training

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/19/2013, 11:37 am

I always just refer people to Alice's housebreaking article. http://www.pugauthority.com/t506-the-only-housetraining-article-you-ll-ever-need
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/19/2013, 12:14 pm

I actually wish I had pee pad trained my dogs. It would make the inside accidents so much easier to clean up. And, especially my girl pug, who HATES going outside.

I think you're on the right track. And, Rebecca is right, re-read the article she posted.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 7/22/2013, 12:32 pm

My girls have always refused to poop and pee in the same litter box so I had one for each. Don't know if that translates to puppy pads or not but it's worth a try.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  waggs2999 11/6/2013, 11:25 pm

My Sophie was extremely difficult to train.  I think mostly because she absolutely hates to go outside.

waggs2999

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 11/7/2013, 12:47 am

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:I always just refer people to Alice's housebreaking article. http://www.pugauthority.com/t506-the-only-housetraining-article-you-ll-ever-need
Rebecca is right this is a must read for housebreaking and remember she's 10 weeks old and she's learning lots of new things.
But don't you just love the puppy breath? Very Happy 

waggs2999 wrote:My Sophie was extremely difficult to train.  I think mostly because she absolutely hates to go outside.
Welcome to the PA, so glad you're jumping in and posting!  Go to Introductions and tell us about yourself and Sophie!

welcome
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down