Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demodex; need help with schedule

+2
HK Pugs
ocnside
6 posters

Go down

Demodex; need help with schedule Empty Demodex; need help with schedule

Post  ocnside 12/1/2013, 10:42 am

So I unfortunately have my Rosie with a positive scraping for demodex.
I definitely need advice on this as I am scared to death to give her anything being as sensitive as she is to everything under the sun.
She is 18lbs and here is the schedule they want her to follow.
I have not started it yet as I need expert advice...
What do you think of this:
days 1 and 2     .8ml
days 3 and 4     .16ml
days 5 and 6     .24ml
days 7 and 8     .32ml
days 9 and 10    .4ml
day 11 and beyond   .5ml

All of those are once a day with Ivermectin
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Demodex; need help with schedule Empty Re: Demodex; need help with schedule

Post  HK Pugs 12/1/2013, 11:48 pm

I'm sure your Vet is aware of how sensitive Rosie is and would adjust the dosage is necessary.  I would start the
schedule and if there are any reactions contact your Vest and see if there is another course of action.  I had
a foster with demodex and it was a long road but he traveled it well.  Good luck to you and your little one! hug dog
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 12/2/2013, 8:28 pm

I have had three dogs with mange, two with demodex and one with sarcoptic. I only used the topical treatment for demodex, so I cannot help with the injections.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 12/3/2013, 1:51 am

Ivermectin is generally a very safe and mild medication.  It's the same stuff that's given as a heartworm preventive.  I've never known any dogs to have issues taking it daily for demodex, and I've known literally hundreds of them (we get lots of generalized demodex in puppies at the shelter where I work, and many of those cases are extremely severe).
Rosie's case, particularly if it's localized (i.e. just a few spots, as opposed to all over her body) should clear up quickly with this med.  Hugs to you both!
Here's Marlee with her case of generalized demodex when she first came into the shelter.  Secondary infections are common when things get this bad.  This is after about a week of meds.
Demodex; need help with schedule Marleemange
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 12/6/2013, 11:06 am

Matilda did the oral ivermectin and never had an issue, but we just did an equal dose every day.  Sorry I'm not more help
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 12/6/2013, 12:47 pm

THANK YOU ALL for the replies

It is not an injection, it is oral and she is doing better, however.....the vet tech was quite, well the look of Eeeew Gross
so I am pretty mad about that too

I mean, she is a spoiled rotten Diva who gets a bath often so she looked at me like Rosie was filthy or something...The vet says it could be from stress, the other expert opinion said it happens in or a little after puberty or because of shots

any reason why she gor this??

ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/6/2013, 12:59 pm

ocnside wrote:THANK YOU ALL for the replies

It is not an injection, it is oral and she is doing better, however.....the vet tech was quite, well the look of Eeeew Gross
so I am pretty mad about that too

I mean, she is a spoiled rotten Diva who gets a bath often so she looked at me like Rosie was filthy or something...The vet says it could be from stress, the other expert opinion said it happens in or a little after puberty or because of shots

any reason why she gor this??

It shows up in dogs with an weaker immune system, which is why it generally shows up in younger dogs, since they are still building theirs.  Stress can sometimes exacerberate it (like changing homes, etc).
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down