Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MJ's (in)famous Anal Gland Thesis...

Go down

MJ's (in)famous Anal Gland Thesis... Empty MJ's (in)famous Anal Gland Thesis...

Post  Maryjo 3/20/2010, 1:35 am

I posted this in PV a million years ago. I want to touch it up soon... MJ's (in)famous Anal Gland Thesis... Icon_biggrin

1. Have a rubber glove (the thin kind like what you get in hair dye boxes) on hand. I use exam gloves, you can buy them in any pha
rmacy. (With 5 dogs, 3 of which need this procedure done regularly, a box of 50 gloves doesn't last long!!). Also, have vaseline or KY jelly handy. You will also need some paper towels, one of which should be dampened with warm water. (to clean your pug's butt with afterwards).

2. Have a surface that is easily washable. I use my washer because I am tall. It is the right height for me. You can do it in the tub, but if you aren't used to doing it yet, somewhere higher so you are comfortable will probably be better. Also easier to hang on to the pug that way.

3. This is easiest done the first few times with an assistant. Having someone to hold your pug helps a LOT!! Wear old clothes, expect to get sprayed...

4. Put glove on your hand that will be expressing the anal glands. Usually the same hand you write with. Put a little vaseline on your index finger AFTER you've put the glove on.

5. Your assistant should pick up your pug, holding him/her on the surface chosen to do this. Butt towards you.

6. Using the hand that does NOT have the glove on, pull the pug's tail across its back, this will make its anus bulge out a little. Putting the tip of your index finger just inside the anus (don't forget the vaseline), and your thumb on the outside, feel the side edge with your finger and thumb and you should find a slightly rounded 'marble' to one side. This is usually the size of a pea, sometimes larger if they are really full.

7. Standing with face NOT in butt's way, squeeze this bulge. You should see some dark brown excretion come out (usually it squirts out) onto you glove, or your hand, or the surface the pug is standing on. Kind of like popping a pimple. (I told you this was gross!)

8. By now, the pug is probably trying to get FAR away!! This is why a slick, easy-to-wash surface is best. They can scrabble with their feet all over it, but if your assistant is hanging on well, they can't get away, because there is NO traction.

9. Twisting your hand around, you will feel a similar bump on the other side of the anus. Squeeze again.

10. If you do this properly, and there was anything in the glands in the first place, you will have expressed the anal glands! Use the paper towels to clean your puggie's behind and then then you can give them a bath (and maybe yourself!).

11. If you feel the bump, squeeze and nothing comes out, don't force it. This could mean the anal gland is impacted or there isn't enough to get out. If you are worried, see your vet. (Kinda like a pimple that won't pop.)

History: Anal glands are leftover from the 'wolf days' of dogs. They were used as scent markers, wolves still do that to this day, but there isn't much call for them in pugs now...

PS: Get canned pumpkin, give them a heaping spoonful daily in their dinner. It really helps keep anal glands under control!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down