Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Let's talk about treats....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Let's talk about treats....

Post  Eph91 on 8/14/2011, 3:14 pm

Our go-to treats are baby carrots (I usually just bite the end of a small one myself, and give each boy a very small bite), Emmet's kibble (he's on S/O for stones), T/D big bites (Wally has terrible teeth, and these are big enough so he actually has to chew them a little--I keep both the T/D and E's kibble in our "treat jar" on the counter), and finally, probably the most used: plain air-popped popcorn! They LOVE it...they go crazy when it's in the microwave--I have this great microwave air popper from Nordic Ware--they used to sell it at Target, but last year, I couldn't find it there so I ordered several from Amazon for gifts. (Looks like the price has gone down a little, too.)

Years ago, when E was first diagnosed w/ calcium oxalate stones, my research pointed to popcorn as one acceptable "treat." It's cheap, easy, relatively healthy (or at least not unhealthy) and low cal. Very Happy
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid on 8/15/2011, 3:22 am

I have been giving the pugs both melon (all types) and pineapple as an occasional treat. They both LOVE the fruit and done take it from me like a viper. But, Zukes Minis are still my standard (I tend to give a pretty large amount of treats daily - mainly because I need them to get out the door and I come and go all day long.)
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 8/15/2011, 11:17 am

Not Afraid wrote:I have been giving the pugs both melon (all types) and pineapple as an occasional treat. They both LOVE the fruit and done take it from me like a viper. But, Zukes Minis are still my standard (I tend to give a pretty large amount of treats daily - mainly because I need them to get out the door and I come and go all day long.)

We use Zuke Minis here too, and Grandma Lucy's cookies, but I break those into tiny pieces. Popcorn is a great idea, Lex!

Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 8/15/2011, 2:34 pm

I do wish I could give Penny popcorn - she asks for it, but when I give it to her, the gas that results would knock a buzzard off a dump truck five blocks away. I'm also off Zuke's since her pancreatitis ordeal - may have been the Zukes treats, may not have been, but I'm not taking any chances. Plus their response was, to put it mildly, off-putting.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top