Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things!

3 posters

Go down

Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things! Empty Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things!

Post  Denika 7/22/2010, 6:18 pm

O.K. I'm getting a little frustrated, or maybe I just don't understand the differences between the different kinds of medicine out there. I took Justice to the vet and to get is monthly heartworm medicine. (He just this time weighed enough to buy it by the box) He's been on Interceptor. I asked the vet if their was something that also protected against fleas, so he gave me Revolution. He didn't bother to tell me that does nothing for intestinal parasites! So, is there NOTHING that prevents against heartworms, regular worms, and fleas? It looks like you have to choose between preventing worms and preventing fleas. Is this right????
What do you guys use, or what do you think is best?
Denika
Denika

Number of posts : 37

http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html

Back to top Go down

Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things! Empty Re: Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things!

Post  northernwitch 7/22/2010, 6:42 pm

I use Revolution because it is effective for HW, fleas, ticks, sarcoptic mange and I think ear mites. I don't worry about intestinal parasites as I get a fecal done yearly on my dogs and only treat them if they test positive for a parasite. Then I treat specifically for intestinal parasites.

I won't routinely de-worm my dogs in the absence of evidence of an infestation.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things! Empty Re: Heartworms, Fleas, and Other Icky Things!

Post  thminis 8/5/2010, 9:15 pm

There really isn't a take home prevention for intestinal parasites. They're much different than heartworm, and some intestinal parasites take different treatments than others. The best you can really do for intestinal parasites is monitor your pet's stool for mucus, blood, diarrhea, etc, and do yearly fecals. You won't see worms in the stool unless it's tapeworm (looks like grains of rice). It can be confusing to keep all the creepy crawlers in order, and it's good you're trying to stay educated!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down