Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covering for dog's ears

5 posters

Go down

Covering for dog's ears Empty Covering for dog's ears

Post  Miss Pugg 9/14/2010, 10:28 pm

My Boston, Jasmine, is losing her hair plus her hairless ears are thin enough to read thru. My vet last spring suggested putting some type of covering over her ears for when she goes outside or on walks. She has the upright ears and anything will smash them down but that's the least of my worries. What in the world could I use for a covering? I see some dog catalogues have hoodies on the coats but not sure if she would tolerate them or not. Any information would be gratefully received. Last week, we went to a parade, it was cold and windy and her poor ears were like ice cubes. I went back to the car and got a fleecy human coat and covered her with it, just her nose and eyes peeking out. She was OK having her ears squashed down but then she was on my lap being cuddled.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Covering for dog's ears Empty Re: Covering for dog's ears

Post  Puggered 9/15/2010, 12:19 am

Umm I think most purpose made dog hats actually leave the ears loose. Poor darling with cold ears!

Why not try a knitted babies' bonnet or toddler beanie and see if she will tolerate those. I am thinking the woollen baby bonnet would be open weave enough to allow hearing and air flow, yet warm enough to prevent icy ears? Pretty much available everywhere I'm sure you could find an inexpensive one if family members don't have one in the bottem drawer somewhere.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/15/2010, 12:20 am

Can you knit? I know Alice knitted a sweet little hat with ear-coverings, and it ties under Cyril's chin. I am sure Alice would give you the pattern or tell you how to do it. Send her a PM.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Covering for dog's ears Empty Ears

Post  Miss Pugg 9/15/2010, 9:52 pm

I've knitted all my life but with 3 dogs (5 total eyes) on my lap, I have given it up. In fact, for many years I made bonnets for preemies in hospitals, had forgotten all about it and I think I still have the patterns. That's a good idea and I will keep the dogs from my lap and get some knitted up. My DIL crochets & maybe she'd have some ideas. Thanks....
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/16/2010, 5:58 am

Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 9/16/2010, 6:59 am

Wayyy.... too cute! And did you see that the seller donates to pug rescue with each purchase?
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Covering for dog's ears Empty pumpkin hat

Post  Miss Pugg 9/16/2010, 12:27 pm

Oh my, that looks perfect. I'm going to have to order it. Thanks for your help
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down