Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

intervertebral disk disease

+11
Pugs4me
Eph91
GingerSnap
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
MommaJones
Aussie Witch
Not Afraid
Saira
Javalita
Puglove2
Sara
15 posters

Go down

intervertebral disk disease Empty intervertebral disk disease

Post  Sara 6/1/2009, 1:07 am

What do you know about intervertebral disk disease?

Poor CP I am so scared for her, I know she's going to pull through this, this time, I am just worried about her ultimately needing surgery, or suffering from paralysis. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but she's my baby and I am so sacred this is happening to her!

I found this on the internet, ugh sometimes I hate google, but I am glad to know surgery can be successful, ack back surgery on my baby scares the heck out of me.

Clinical signs of thoracolumbar disk herniation unfortunately are usually more profound than in the cervical area. With almost no extradural space for herniated disk material to occupy, the spinal cord can be severely compressed. These dogs have normal forelimb function with one exception. If the disk is just starting to protrude but has not actually herniated, dogs will walk with an arched stiff back due to pain. They often cry out when picked up or their back muscles are squeezed. They are usually reluctant to move around as usual. If more pressure is present on the spinal cord, ataxia and paresis of the hindlimbs is usually evidenced by the dog dragging its toes and walking with a wobbly gait. At this point immediate surgical intervention can provide excellent results. Further pressure causes hindlimb paralysis and eventually loss of deep pain sensation if therapy is not instigated. The greatest value of surgery is in the earliest stages of disk herniation. The longer clinical signs exist without surgical intervention, the less value the surgery can provide and the more permanent damage the spinal cord sustains.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

intervertebral disk disease Empty Re: intervertebral disk disease

Post  Puglove2 6/1/2009, 8:01 am

i know - i freaked out, too, when the vet told me that basil had a disc problem. i think it you keep their weight down, don't allow jumping from high places, and rest them when they are sore, you can get through an acute episode. i believe they save the surgery for signs of paralyis/weakness or very severe symptoms that won't go away. it's good you got CP looked at right away. another good idea might be chiropractor, when she's through her acute episode. hugs to you and hope you are both feeling better.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/1/2009, 10:54 am

Thanks Adrianna, I will see if I can find a Chiro in our area, it IS scary!
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 6/1/2009, 11:56 am

I don't have advise, but wanted to give you some support. I'm sorry that you are going through this - all the worry and everything. But at least you know what you are dealing with and you can do everything possible for CP now. Keeping them from jumping is really hard.

I'll be thinking of you.
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 6/1/2009, 12:03 pm

Poor CP! I don't have any experience with that specifically, but I do know a couple of people who have had pugs with disc issues-so far, no surgery, they have all been able to manage it with restriction of jumping, etc. I know that's hard though, and I ESPECIALLY know the dangers of googling! I'll keep CP in my thoughts!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/1/2009, 12:08 pm

Poor CP! I have had no dogs in my "pack" that have had this, so I don't have any good advice. I know in humans, it means exercise, physical therapy and weight loss along with pain management. A Chiro is a great idea as well.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/1/2009, 12:25 pm

Not Afraid wrote:Poor CP! I have had no dogs in my "pack" that have had this, so I don't have any good advice. I know in humans, it means exercise, physical therapy and weight loss along with pain management. A Chiro is a great idea as well.

It does seem like something we can manage without jumping into surgery, it just KILLS me that it's a possibility and so is paralysis. :(

I am happy to get her the proper exercise, Chiro care, and see what they can teach me to do as far as PT . Weight loss isn't an issue, she's down to 15lbs, and that was right after she ate, her weight is perfect.

My poor girl, I am trying no to freak out, but I am actually just beside myself and I can tell she doesn't feel good still.

I just called and made an appointment with the orthopedic vet for next week to follow up and just discuss this more with her.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/1/2009, 12:36 pm

I know she's your little love and it hurts to see her in pain. Try not to think about the worst case scenario. You're not even close to those options yet. Concentrate on management and doing what you can to ease her pain. She's young and strong and not overweight. Those are all positives that are going for her.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/1/2009, 2:16 pm

I hope it's not this Sara. Maybe discuss with your vet the possibility of an MRI to get a definitive answer. I have had three pugs with back issues, two of them had surgery - LouLou and Puck were the most recent Pugs I've had who went through it.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/1/2009, 3:57 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:I hope it's not this Sara. Maybe discuss with your vet the possibility of an MRI to get a definitive answer. I have had three pugs with back issues, two of them had surgery - LouLou and Puck were the most recent Pugs I've had who went through it.

I agree Rona, I just can't see what else it could be.

I'm going to speak to the orthopedic next week and see what she thinks about the MRI, they do have to be sedated for that right? I hate that. Is it general anesthesia or just something to "relax" them?
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 6/1/2009, 4:09 pm

Sara wrote:I'm going to speak to the orthopedic next week and see what she thinks about the MRI, they do have to be sedated for that right? I hate that. Is it general anesthesia or just something to "relax" them?

when milo had his MRI, he was under a general anesthetic.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/1/2009, 5:37 pm

No knowledge, experience, or advice...but lots of good thoughts for Co-Pilot and her mommy.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Lu Ci and Ri Ki 6/1/2009, 7:35 pm

Sara, no advice here but know you and Co-Pilot are in my prayers.
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Lu Ci and Ri Ki

Number of posts : 569

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 6/1/2009, 8:40 pm

The other fawn male pug Jackson who lives across the street from us had to have surgery for his disc problems, but he was having very definite rear end weakness.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/1/2009, 9:05 pm

I hope CP's issues can be managed easily and she stays well! She's lucky to have you and Scott taking care of her!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 6/1/2009, 10:25 pm

I don't have any advice either but I hope CP gets through this episode and stays healthy.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/2/2009, 7:58 pm

Sara, it sounds like you are open to exploring all possibilities. It may be that with keeping her from jumping and some PT that she'll be fine. But if things progress, maybe look into accupunture. Hugs to CP!!!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  meggiev777 7/1/2013, 12:47 am

Hi, I'm new here. This is my first time visiting, and I'm here because like many of you, I'm worried about my baby Frank. We are visiting in Northern California, and I think that this was a blessing in disguise, because the cold and moisture brought out the problem. When Frank began wobbling when he went on his walk, I went to the vet and was told that he has degenerative disc disease and needed to be put on muscle relaxant s and no exercise. I've been doing the best I can, but it's not easy to keep him from going up and down stairs and jumping on the (low) couch. I would appreciate any encouragement and prayers you could give. I came up here to drop my son off, and Frank is a big part of my hopes to avoid depression and loneliness in this new empty next experience. I've already decided to keep him as long as I can, whatever it takes. Please tell me there's hope.

meggiev777

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 7/3/2013, 2:50 pm

I'll tell you a story that might make you feel better......
Louie was very uncomfortable a while back, and I know I posted here about it.  I ended up taking him to the emergency vet late one night and they did an x-ray and the vet came back and said IVDD and I said WHAT?  she showed me the xray and it showed the vertebrae pressed right up against each other, no disc was visible on the xray.  I took him to his regular vet the next day and they agreed with the diagnosis (because they saw the xray), but said the chiropractor could help.  Louie was already a chiropractic patient, but we had slacked off with his routine maintenance treatments because nothing was wrong.  So we went to see the chiropractor and told him of the diagnosis, showed him the xray and he said Louie does NOT have IVDD.....the X-ray is not SHOWING his disc because of the angle, and this happens quite frequently.  I said, you would think a vet should know this!  He said no....not usually.  He gave Louie ONE treatment and he was back to his old self.  Now we keep our appointments for routine maintenance even if nothing is wrong.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ms Co-Pilot has the same good luck!
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/3/2013, 3:18 pm

I know how difficult it is to see them in pain and with compromised mobility. I hope CP's issues can be resolved without surgery and that she can be comfortable again as soon as possible. I know you'll do everything you can to help her through this.

She hasn't had a history of scuffing her front paws, has she? Otto did, and that was one of the things that seemed to indicate the type of back issue he had. His wasn't a candidate for surgery, based on what we heard from the doctors.

Hope the chiro treatments can help her!
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down