Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kennel Cough?

+5
smoochieface
TNPUGMOMOF3
Renee
northernwitch
juneau hunter
9 posters

Go down

Kennel Cough? Empty Kennel Cough?

Post  juneau hunter 10/6/2010, 3:06 pm

This afternoon Juneau started hacking and hasn't stopped. It sounds like whooping cough in kids! His whole body shakes when he coughs! Other than that, he is the same old Juneau. Now that I know how to take his temp., I did this and it was "normal" for a dog. I called the vet and they told me to feed him and see if he eats...just to make sure that he doesn't have anything stuck in his throat. He ate fine. I can't take him into the vet until the morning. If it is Kennel Cough, can't I start him on antibiotics right away? If so, what dose of amoxicillan can he have? I am so worried!
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Kennel Cough? Empty Re: Kennel Cough?

Post  northernwitch 10/6/2010, 3:12 pm

Good old kennel cough. It's not a big deal, Tarrington. Watch him and keep him as calm as you can. Your vet might put him on antibiotics, but generally kennel cough resolves on it's own and can be viral so the antibiotics won't do much. The coughing does sound God awful and you can get a cough suppressant for it--seems to me that one of the children's cough syrups was okay for dogs, but I can't remember which one so don't use anything until someone who has a better memory than I do posts.

I generally don't use antibiotics unless I have to.

It's really, really contagious--so don't be surprised if Roscoe gets it and you might warn Piper's dads that she might get it. It's often contagious before symptoms show.

You do worry a bit about pneumonia with the brachycephalic breeds, but as a rule, kennel cough isn't a serious issue. He may throw up if his coughing is really bad. Not uncommon.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/6/2010, 3:18 pm

Poor Juneau. The coughing from Kennel Cough scares the crap out of me! Litterally sounds like death!

Keep him calm - treat it like a cold.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/6/2010, 3:21 pm

3-4 cc's of robitussin 2-3 times a day as needed helps.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 10/6/2010, 3:31 pm

I second Blanche. Personally, I don't mess with self-medicating when it comes to antibiotics. Wrong dose and wrong length of treatment is a leading cause of developing antibiotic-resistent bacteria, just like in humans.

Hope Juneau feels better.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/6/2010, 5:23 pm

Thanks! It does sound God awful!!!! My heart drops to my feet every time he does it! I have him snuggled into a blanket and rocked him like a baby - he likes that! The sound just freaks me out. Cancelled my plans to go out tonight, just so I could hover over the little bugger. Pug-parenting is as nerve-racking as kid-parenting! Shocked
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/6/2010, 5:27 pm

Poor Juneau! Sending good thoughts and hopes that he feels better soon. And yes, we do hover over them when they are not well!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/6/2010, 6:32 pm

juneau hunter wrote:Thanks! Pug-parenting is as nerve-racking as kid-parenting! Shocked

Oh, I think it is even more nerve-wracking! The kids grow up....pugs stay helpless their entire lives!! But, I love my pug-babies!
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/6/2010, 11:04 pm

You're right - it sounds awful, like croup in a baby. But if there was no fever, he's got kennel cough and not canine influenza. I agree with Blanche. Just let it run its course and watch that it doesn't develop into bronchitis, at which point I'd introduce the antibiotics. Other than that, keep him away from any other dogs that he hasn't already been exposed to. I had a foster who came from the local shelter and brought KC into my pack. Out of all of them, only Betsy got it and only a mild case. Hers self-resolved within 3-4 days; he took a couple of weeks. No drugs for either of them.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/7/2010, 10:22 am

Renee wrote:
juneau hunter wrote:Thanks! Pug-parenting is as nerve-racking as kid-parenting! Shocked

Oh, I think it is even more nerve-wracking! The kids grow up....pugs stay helpless their entire lives!! But, I love my pug-babies!

I agree!!! Its like parenting a baby - they can't talk and tell you what is wrong - so you fret. Well these pugs cause huge amounts of fretting in me!
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/7/2010, 12:41 pm

juneau hunter wrote:
Renee wrote:

I agree!!! Its like parenting a baby - they can't talk and tell you what is wrong - so you fret. Well these pugs cause huge amounts of fretting in me!

Oh yeah, my pugs cause a lot of fretting on my part. Any little cough, lump, bump, change in mood...and I'm immediately worried something is wrong! My biggest fear is not knowing when something is wrong until it is too late! Dogs are good at acting "normal" even when they are in pain, and that worries me.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  MuShuMom 10/7/2010, 8:47 pm

No advice, just sending warm thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
MuShuMom
MuShuMom

Number of posts : 85

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise M 10/7/2010, 8:57 pm

Hoping that this is just a mild case and will resolve by itself.

I also am a really fretting Pug Mom. Even a little thing deprives me of eating, sleeping and functioning well. Something as small as their tails being down makes my stomach have butterflies.

Denise M
Denise M

Number of posts : 109

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down