Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red bumps, itchy skin, red, flaky nose wrinkle

+12
pugpillow
Amber
pugmom
leslyeb
Aussie Witch
northernwitch
Not Afraid
sallyandtilly
Renee
LisaIzzyAggy
pugsandkids
hpederson bergstedt
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Red bumps, itchy skin, red, flaky nose wrinkle - Page 2 Empty Re: Red bumps, itchy skin, red, flaky nose wrinkle

Post  Renee 12/27/2010, 7:12 pm

Awesome update!! I am so glad things are improving. It can take quite a while for the symptoms to go completely away, but it's so reassuring to see some immediate improvement.

I would let the vet know, and then consider getting a new vet.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Red bumps, itchy skin, red, flaky nose wrinkle - Page 2 Empty Re: Red bumps, itchy skin, red, flaky nose wrinkle

Post  northernwitch 12/27/2010, 7:56 pm

I'm glad that she is improving. I always, always start with food when I see these issues with a dog. My vet says the classic signs of food allergies in dogs are "feet, face and bum". It can be a long process with some dogs figuring out what they react to. But she's improving and that is the important thing.

As to talking to your vet. First, most vets don't know a lot about canine nutrition and what they know (at least up here) is learned in a couple of courses funded by the vet food industry (Hill's, Science Diet, Medi-Cal, etc). So most vets give poor advice about allergies because they got poor training, in my opinion. Some vets are open to learning new things based on their clients experiences and some aren't. I think my vet does listen to me, but I've been a client for a LONG time and we've agreed to disagree on some things. She thinks feeding raw is dangerous, but also says that I have the healthiest group of geriatric dogs in her practice and in her almost 15 years of dealing with my dogs has yet to see an illness related to my feeding practices.

However, when I do approach her on something, I'm tactful, have a raft of information with me and try not to be challenging. What I want is for her to listen and hear and not get defensive or feel that I'm in any way calling her incompetent. She isn't. What she does well, she does VERY well and it's worth it to me to continue with her. As long as she is respectful of me and my decisions (based on my research), I'm happy to continue with her. And I am respectful of her and her knowledge base. She's been a God send for many of my dogs with medical issues.

It would be worth asking around here about who is good in your area. We have some Minnesotans and they may be able to direct you to a vet who is more in tune with food allergies.

And just so you know--pugs are notorious for allergies and are either 2nd or 3rd in breeds that have severe to fatal vaccine reactions, as well.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 12/27/2010, 8:48 pm

I'm so happy to hear of the improvement! Good luck with the vet Very Happy
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 12/27/2010, 9:26 pm

Another great score for PV advice! Any good vet is respectful of the knowledge store of groups of breed mentors - no-one can possibly keep up to date on all the issues and their varying effect on every breed of dog especially bearing in mind that vets are expected to have a huge knowledge base covering many species, let alone the all the breeds within those species...

So glad she is doing better!
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 12/27/2010, 10:25 pm

I am very, very happy to see that Story is feeling better. hug dog Kudos to everyone here on Pug Authority who headed my fellow Minnesotan in the right direction. I myself have been lucky and never fostered or owned any pugs with a food allergy.
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2