Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut

+5
SacramentoPugs
PugLady3
ChaLou
GingerSnap
LisaIzzyAggy
9 posters

Go down

Coconut Empty Coconut

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/19/2011, 8:21 am

I know this has been talked about before but I can't remember. If I want to start the girls on coconut oil, how much do I start with and what amount do I build up to?
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Coconut Empty Re: Coconut

Post  GingerSnap 1/19/2011, 8:29 am

If I recall, the optimal "dose" is 1 teaspoon for 10 pounds of body weight per day. My guys are about 18 pounds, and I give them a little more than a teaspoon, morning and night. I've heard to start with a smaller dose and build them up or runny poo can result. I sort of did that, but I haven't had any issues.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaLou 1/19/2011, 8:37 am

I'm intrigued, what does it do?
ChaLou
ChaLou

Number of posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/19/2011, 11:02 am

According to the Whole Dog Journal, start out at 1/4 t. per day & then gradually increase every few days until you're at 1 t. per 10 pounds daily.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 1/19/2011, 2:08 pm

ChaLou wrote:I'm intrigued, what does it do?
It provides an ideal balance of essential fatty acids, etc. -- but the biggest plus is that it makes your pug's coat feel like velvet! I alternate coconut oil and wild salmon oil for Marlee.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/3/2011, 8:34 am

Just wanted to give an update. We're up to about 1/2 teaspoon twice per day. Izzy's allergies are looking great. It's been over a week without any Atopica because she doesn't seem to need it. She still gets her Benydryl twice per day. I don't know if it's the removal of the fish oil, the addition of the coconut oil or a little of both but I'm very pleased. I'm sure once the Spring itchies hit we'll have to start the Atopica back up but it's great to be able to take a break from it. And as an added bonus, she smells a lot better on the coconut oil....no more fishie kisses. Very Happy
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 2/3/2011, 9:33 am

I'm curious about where to find Coconut oil?
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 2/3/2011, 9:50 am

juneau hunter wrote:I'm curious about where to find Coconut oil?

I get it at the natural foods co-op here but upscale grocery stores like Whole Foods carry it too. In the cooler months it is a "solid" (sort of), so it will be in a jar like peanut butter.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/3/2011, 11:23 am

juneau hunter wrote:I'm curious about where to find Coconut oil?

I got mine at the vitamin store but next time I'm getting from Amazon because it's way cheaper.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/3/2011, 11:49 am

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:Just wanted to give an update. We're up to about 1/2 teaspoon twice per day. Izzy's allergies are looking great. It's been over a week without any Atopica because she doesn't seem to need it. She still gets her Benydryl twice per day. I don't know if it's the removal of the fish oil, the addition of the coconut oil or a little of both but I'm very pleased. I'm sure once the Spring itchies hit we'll have to start the Atopica back up but it's great to be able to take a break from it. And as an added bonus, she smells a lot better on the coconut oil....no more fishie kisses. Very Happy
Lisa:
something that I found out with Tank is that he is reactive to salmon oil. Here I thought I was being this great mom giving him (wildly expensive) wild salmon oil and his itchies often got worse. So now I go back and forth between herring oil and coconut oil. I may go completely with coconut, but in his case, his gut can blow out easily so I only use it every other day with herring oil being given on the non-coconut days.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/3/2011, 12:21 pm

Coconut oil makes my guys reek of it (and the smell makes me rather nauseated). So i just use my coconut oil to moisturize my tattoos :)
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/3/2011, 2:18 pm

MandyPug wrote:Coconut oil makes my guys reek of it (and the smell makes me rather nauseated). So i just use my coconut oil to moisturize my tattoos :)
Really? I've never noticed a coconut smell on Marlee. And I'm not a big coconut fan, so I think I'd pick up on it. Makes sense that a pug could excrete a coconut aroma when taking the oil, though. Ick.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/3/2011, 2:26 pm

MandyPug wrote:Coconut oil makes my guys reek of it (and the smell makes me rather nauseated). So i just use my coconut oil to moisturize my tattoos :)

If you think coconut is bad try fish oil for a couple of years. afraid
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/3/2011, 2:36 pm

northernwitch wrote:
LisaIzzyAggy wrote:Just wanted to give an update. We're up to about 1/2 teaspoon twice per day. Izzy's allergies are looking great. It's been over a week without any Atopica because she doesn't seem to need it. She still gets her Benydryl twice per day. I don't know if it's the removal of the fish oil, the addition of the coconut oil or a little of both but I'm very pleased. I'm sure once the Spring itchies hit we'll have to start the Atopica back up but it's great to be able to take a break from it. And as an added bonus, she smells a lot better on the coconut oil....no more fishie kisses. Very Happy
Lisa:
something that I found out with Tank is that he is reactive to salmon oil. Here I thought I was being this great mom giving him (wildly expensive) wild salmon oil and his itchies often got worse. So now I go back and forth between herring oil and coconut oil. I may go completely with coconut, but in his case, his gut can blow out easily so I only use it every other day with herring oil being given on the non-coconut days.

Thanks Blanche! I had great luck with the fish oil for about 4 years. Over the holidays I forgot to take it to Grandma's with us and she was itching less. I finally realized she was getting allergic to it. I was using Welactin which says it has salmon oil and "fish" oil. One good thing with Izzy is that she has a stomach of steel. Aggy has tummy issues though so I'll take it real slow with her. Right now she's happily finishing up the fish oil.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/3/2011, 3:18 pm

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:If you think coconut is bad try fish oil for a couple of years. afraid

I use Cold Water Fish Oil on Izzie currently and i've used Salmon Oil in the past, never smelled like fish!

All i can chock it up to is she doesn't metabolize the coconut oil as well as she does the fish oils and her body detoxes itself of it and pushes it out through her skin.

The only time i'll recommend any plant oils (flax, sunflower, coconut, etc.) is if the dog is allergic to the fish oils. Dogs are carnivores and their bodies don't typically handle and utilize the plant based omegas as well as the fish based ones.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down