Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned

+3
melindaregner
SacramentoPugs
Renee
7 posters

Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned

Post  Renee 2/4/2011, 9:59 pm

I know some people are looking for a kibble and/or canned food that is grain free AND potato free.

The store where I pick up my Honest Kitchen recently started carrying Great Life kibble and canned foods.

Great Life

They have grain / potato free kibble, and other formulas that do contain grains. They also have supplements. When I looked at the ingredient list for the grain / potato free canned, I was pleasantly surprised to see such a small list of ingredients. They also have Rx formulas, which are grain / potato free.

Its good to have options, that is for sure.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty Re: Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/7/2011, 2:32 pm

The idea of prescription foods that aren't full of corn makes me very happy indeed. I'll look into what type of Rx foods they have should the need arise. Thanks for the tip!
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty have a question about it..

Post  melindaregner 7/28/2011, 3:10 pm

Why is it they labeled it potato free? Do potatoes have bad or worse effect on pets like dogs?

melindaregner

Number of posts : 2

http://www.trainpetdog.com

Back to top Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty Re: Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned

Post  Renee 7/28/2011, 3:42 pm

melindaregner wrote:Why is it they labeled it potato free? Do potatoes have bad or worse effect on pets like dogs?

They labeled it potato free because it is potato free.

While potatoes are much less likely to create any allergens and they are not cheap fillers like grains - they are still carbs that some pet owner's choose to try and reduce. Personally, I feed THK and raw meat. The THK does contain potato, but it is not something that bothers my dogs.

It's just nice to have options. Some dogs do fine with grains, some don't. The options for grain free food (kibble) generally use potato in place of the grain. Some dogs react to potato too.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 7/28/2011, 3:53 pm

melindaregner wrote:Why is it they labeled it potato free? Do potatoes have bad or worse effect on pets like dogs?

There is nothing wrong with potato in general. Some of us have pugs who are very prone to yeast infections (ear, nose, etc.) Because potatos are converted to sugars, a high-potato food can contribute to continuing yeast infections.

I have a pug that has allergy problems (no grain), is prone to ear infections (no potato), and has a history of struvite crystals (needs limited ingredients without a lot of minerals added). We have looked high and low for a kibble that fits that description but have been really stumped. We feed raw when we can for that reason, but consistent raw feeding has been hard for my family to maintain for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for the link, Renee! I'm really optimistic about checking out this food.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/28/2011, 4:44 pm

smoochieface wrote:There is nothing wrong with potato in general. Some of us have pugs who are very prone to yeast infections (ear, nose, etc.) Because potatos are converted to sugars, a high-potato food can contribute to continuing yeast infections.

Grain free, low/no carb diets are also an important consideration for dogs with any sort of cancer. Cancer feeds off from carbs, much like yeast.

Thanks for the info, Renee!
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty Oh I see

Post  melindaregner 8/9/2011, 3:41 pm

Thanks for sharing some knowledge. :)

melindaregner

Number of posts : 2

http://www.trainpetdog.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/9/2011, 4:01 pm

Renee, we picked up some of the kibble last week and so far so good! Thanks for the heads up!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 8/9/2011, 8:29 pm

melindaregner wrote:Thanks for sharing some knowledge. :)

I've had pugs for over 10 years and I'm still learning from these guys, just like this new food option. Thanks, Renee!
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/9/2011, 8:31 pm

smoochieface wrote:Renee, we picked up some of the kibble last week and so far so good! Thanks for the heads up!

Good luck! I hope it keeps the allergies and yeast at bay - although, the ingredients do have pumpkin, which can lead to yeast, but I think it is less likely than with a lot of potato.

Yep, options are awesome to have!
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Grain free / Potato free kibble & canned Empty Potato

Post  Miss Pugg 8/9/2011, 9:16 pm

As I've mentioned several times here, Jasmine has Lymphangiectasia plus PLE plus Cushings and her new vet has prescribed only Royal Canin Low Fat kibble and canned (made from rabbit) plus sweet potato, NOT white potatoes. She has recently declared she doesn't want sweet potatoes, thank you, so I have inherited her sweet potatoes for our own use.....We see the vet Monday and I'm asking him why she can't have white potatoes but can have sweet potatoes. I realize they both are full of carbs and I know he once suspected she might have cancer but so far, so good & she's gained a bit of weight now. This is an interesting topic..
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 8/10/2011, 6:43 am

smoochieface wrote:Renee, we picked up some of the kibble last week and so far so good! Thanks for the heads up!

Kendie, what were you feeding them prior to this? I need to switch up Viv's food again ,she is prone to both yeast and bacteria ear infections and she has the itches a lot lately. I can't find this food at my pet store.

I am using Natures Variety grain free with decent results but not great.

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/10/2011, 1:06 pm

Donna wrote:

Donna, I have had decent success with Wellness Core and Taste of the Wild.

Also, if she is not sensitive to a single grain, like rice, you could go with Wellness Simple Solutions.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/10/2011, 2:00 pm

Donna wrote:

Kendie, what were you feeding them prior to this? I need to switch up Viv's food again ,she is prone to both yeast and bacteria ear infections and she has the itches a lot lately. I can't find this food at my pet store.

Donna, we were feeding California Natural kibble, the single grain/single protein formulas. We were also feeding some meals Stella & Chewy's frozen raw patties. We were getting pretty inconsistent with the raw because it was hard for me to make special trips to buy it since it can't sit in your car all day.

Anyway, we're really happy now to be able to go grain-free, potato-free in a kibble that also has a relatively low protein percentage. Leo is still having some stinky gas issues which I think is from the new food, but I hope that will resolve itself soon.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 8/11/2011, 7:17 am

Thanks Renee and Kendie, she was doing really well on her current food but has started itching a lot lately, esp her but. His glands are not full just had them done so I am assuming it's allergies, oh and she is forever licking and picking at her feet.

Off to investigate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down