Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Strokes?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strokes?

Post  Eph91 on 2/17/2011, 7:32 pm

Keep us posted; sending good wishes to you and your gal. hug dog
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl on 2/23/2011, 11:50 am

thought I'd post an update, though not a very encouraging one.

her head tilt has not improved, which indicates (to me, the non-expert) that it's the vestibular syndrome, not an inner ear infection. this is the good news.

when we stopped the flagyl, her diarrhea returned. I restarted it, because it seems to be the only thing that keeps the diarrhea at bay.

the bad news is that today she decided she didn't want to eat, and I couldn't get her meds into her. cheese didn't work either. I'll try again later, maybe with hot dog or something.

the not eating is the scariest part for me (and what makes me pessimistic about her remaining time with me).

I have a call into my vet, and am fearful that some big decisions will have to be made very soon. Her quality of life seems to be deteriorating pretty quickly, and that isn't fair to her.

*sigh*

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin on 2/23/2011, 12:01 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Angel. my heart goes out to you

Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 2/23/2011, 1:09 pm

How did I miss this earlier?

I'm so sorry Allie. Imi has had bouts of vestibular but it seems to have lessened over time to where it's a pretty rare occurrence now. Hope Angel's is like that and we can put that issue aside and deal with the more pressing one of not eating.

If you remember, LouLou went completely off her food and like you, I thought it was a sure sign that her body was shutting down and we were at the end. She was 15 and a half. I wanted to make sure I was making the right final decision and I asked the vet to check her blood and urine, to see if there was anything causing her anorexia, that we could treat. It turned out she was fighting a massive infection and she COULD be treated. It took some intensive care and hand feeding, trying EVERY possible food, but we got there and I had another 16 months with my darling girl until we helped her go at 17.

I would do blood and urine cultures to see if there is anything acute that may be causing this. I know what it's like to have a failing senior and I know how precious they become. I hope you have more time with your darling girl. hug dog
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber on 2/23/2011, 1:13 pm

Allie I am so very sorry :( I'm gonna hope and pray her anorexia is just her adjusting to having the tummy meds back in her system. BIG hugs to you both! Hug
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma on 2/23/2011, 1:50 pm

Ohhh, I didn't want to read about her not eating. Crying or Very sad I hope your vet has some good news and I think Rona's idea about checking her blood and urine is good. I have no words of advice except I'll keep you and her in my prayers and please keep us posted. I know you must be worried but hopefully everything will be ok. Keep us posted and in the mean time, hugs to you and Angel!
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered on 2/24/2011, 1:54 am

Hugs and prayers, and a full bloods work-up, as Rona suggested, will help you in your decision making.

You're doing great. hug dog
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl on 2/24/2011, 12:33 pm

She ate her dinner last night and breakfast this morning with gusto, so I'm hoping it was just a slightly upset tummy.

We've had full blood work done as recently as October with nothing abnormal in the tests. Regardless, I've made an appt with my vet for tomorrow morning.

thanks for all of your concerns and thoughts!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid on 2/24/2011, 2:06 pm

I'm glad Angel is eating with gusto! It's so difficult to watch any sort of decline. I hope she rebounds with the same gusto she ate with this morning.
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top