Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about Puggles

+11
PugLady3
Candace.N.Seebaugh
HuggaPug
PugMomto3
SacramentoPugs
pugasaurus
thminis
GingerSnap
Saira
northernwitch
MackandMattiesMom
15 posters

Go down

Tell me about Puggles Empty Tell me about Puggles

Post  MackandMattiesMom 5/15/2011, 11:06 am

I know they've been discussed before, but tell me the good, the bad and the ugly please. I have a schoolmate who sent me a message on FB asking about them. He's wanting to buy one for his girlfriend for her birthday. I told him to please go the rescue route if he's interested in getting one. So please tell me all about them so I can at least give him honest information. I've never seen one in person and don't know much about them at all.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Puggles Empty Re: Tell me about Puggles

Post  northernwitch 5/15/2011, 1:37 pm

Our rescue won't take them much as no one wants them (at least not up here) and they are often really difficult dogs. Most of the people who want to surrender them to us want to do so because of aggression. We've taken in a couple that we found homes for, but they were wildly busy and often destructive in the home. And I've turned down many, many puggles due to aggression--biting mostly--bad biting.

Much depends on how pug vs. how much beagle you get. They can be manically busy, very destructive (destroy furniture, drywall, etc), often bad resource guarders and food aggressive. If they are very beagle like, they can be impossible to recall--nose to the ground and brain off. They WILL need a fair bit of exercise and stimulation. Many are very mouthy even if they don't become biters.

And just so the beagle folks don't get upset--a good beagle is a great dog, but a bad beagle is a nightmare and you have to be prepared for bad beagle behaviour.

Our shelters are FULL of puggles, sadly.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 5/15/2011, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info, Blanche. I knew there was something I'd heard about them but couldn't remember the specifics. Isn't that what Gidget was that Peg had? The one that ate the alarm clock and anything else she could get her teeth into?
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/15/2011, 2:23 pm

Yeah, I agre with a lot of what Blanche said. The ones we see are pretty hyper and destructive. The one we have in now is young, and she climbs gates-almost any gate she can climb over and out. They just seem to be very very busy dogs. We had another one that went through 4 foster homes, and destroyed pretty much everything. We really have a hard time if we take them in, because like Blanche said, their novelty is wearing off and most of the ones that come to us have quite a few issues.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/15/2011, 2:32 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:Thanks for the info, Blanche. I knew there was something I'd heard about them but couldn't remember the specifics. Isn't that what Gidget was that Peg had? The one that ate the alarm clock and anything else she could get her teeth into?
I can't remember exactly. I always thought Gidget was a JRT/Pug cross. We've had alot of those and they've all been really great dogs. Gidget was a wacko, for sure, but we've found most of the Juggs to be good dogs--busy, but not lunatics.

Tell him to read up on beagles. So far, most of the dogs we've had that were the beagle/pug crosses were much more beagle than pug. And if he isn't prepared to deal with beagle behaviour (Including a beagle voice) then he should nix the idea of a puggle. I wouldn't have one, to be honest with you and I like almost all dogs. The number of them that become really serious biters is scary. And many are absolutely dreadful around kids for lots of reasons.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/15/2011, 5:11 pm

I"m not sure where your friend lives, but if he's set on a puggle, there are several on MAPR's web site!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/15/2011, 5:26 pm

GingerSnap wrote:I"m not sure where your friend lives, but if he's set on a puggle, there are several on MAPR's web site!
Excellent idea to go the rescue route if he will. That way you at least KNOW what you're gonna be dealing with.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 5/15/2011, 5:39 pm

northernwitch wrote:
GingerSnap wrote:I"m not sure where your friend lives, but if he's set on a puggle, there are several on MAPR's web site!
Excellent idea to go the rescue route if he will. That way you at least KNOW what you're gonna be dealing with.

He's here in Florida. I did tell him to please go the rescue route if he's set on getting one. I told him I would hunt one down for him through rescue, but that if he bought one I'd hunt him down!!
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/15/2011, 5:57 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:
northernwitch wrote:

He's here in Florida. I did tell him to please go the rescue route if he's set on getting one. I told him I would hunt one down for him through rescue, but that if he bought one I'd hunt him down!!
ROTFL!! Good for you, Sabra. Tell him you'll sic an angry and vengeful Northern Witch upon him. I'll whammy him into non-existence.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 5/15/2011, 6:24 pm

I agree with the fact that they are usually more beagle than pug. Luckily, the ones I've seen usually aren't much for biting or aggression, but I can see how poor breeding/raising would too easily lead to it in the mix.

The thing about puggles is you're taking two breeds with such common health/behavior challenges and hoping you get a better dog by mixing. Most of the puggles I've seen are overweight, have skin/ear issues, vocal, stubborn, and wanderers when off leash.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 5/15/2011, 9:55 pm

The ones that I had in my dog training classes were horrid. My experiences with them have been pretty much what Blanche noted, aggression, hyperactivity and they are loud! I had a puggle foster for a long time and he had the beagle voice.

pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 5/16/2011, 6:54 pm

We get them at the shelter fairly often, and virtually every one of them has been a dog I'd never want to live with. Incredible energy, baying voice, super-shedding, and often somewhat aggressive.

Quite a few of the puggles we've had were picked up as strays -- we joke here that a puggle will follow his nose out of your home/yard (that's the beagle), but not be smart enough to find his way back (that's the pug). Laughing
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 5/17/2011, 7:43 am

We had two in rescue, surrendered at the same time, not litter mates. Together they were a nightmare, hyper, distructive, difficult to house break. They were both just under a year old too. One male, one female.

We did have to adopt seperately. They both appeared more beagle than pug. But were definately Puggles. They both ended up being amazing dogs apart. They calmed down, were able to be focused and housebroken.

Good luck to your friend. Rescue of course is the way to go.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  HuggaPug 5/17/2011, 10:45 am

I had a foster Puggle for about 5 months. She was a Puppymill survivor, and she was actually quite sweet.....but I was expecting the worst! She did love to play with our Tyson, but was not particularly hyper or aggressive at all.....but OH that Beagle voice!!!!
[img]Tell me about Puggles Ellie_3[/img]
Hubby said she was more Pug than Beagle...lol! Her adoptive family is nuts about her.

Unfortunately, there are many Puggles that end up in shelters around here :(
HuggaPug
HuggaPug

Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Puggles Empty I have a 7yr old male puggle

Post  Candace.N.Seebaugh 5/24/2011, 12:56 am

I didn't notice this topic of disscussion until now. I would like to offer my advice and real interaction with a puggle from living with one on a daily basis. We adopted Jager from the local humane society when he was 4 months old. The prior owner surrended him because he played to rough(what the paperwork said).
My husband wanted a pug so when we were ready to adopt a dog, we searched our local humane society and found Jager, he looks like a pug, but has just a little bit of a long nose, everything else about it looks like a typical pug. The previous owner listed him as 3/4 pug....not sure what the other measurement is from??? The humane society told us that he could possibly a puggle. So we are unsure if he truly is a puggle, but he howls like a beagle. Laughing
Jager is a very smart dog, more like book smart, common sense wise he's not. You can name any toy in the toy box and he will go fetch it and sorta bring it to you. He LOVES to chew on toys and we can not have any toys with squeakers or stuffed toys, because he likes to be destructive. He hasn't destroyed anything else in the house, except for a couple of my husbands flip flops.
He used to climb out of the dog play pen we had set up as his kennel, since it had an open top to it. Stopped doing that once he got older, he loves his kennel.
He definetly is food aggressive, so we have to watch out for our other 2 dogs, plus anyone else that feeds him. He is not a biter constantly, just only with food or treats. He definetly is food driven, constantly looking for something to eat or begging when my husband and I eat around him. sigh
He loves to bark and growl about everything, outside noises, people knocking on the door, some type of noise on the tv. He howls alot, which is cute sometimes.
Jager usually weighs between 25-27lbs on average. We have to monitor how much we feed him, and give him plenty of exercise.
He is housetrained. He will hold it as long as he can until he can make it outside to potty. He acts like he is afraid of his own poop or pee, so he wants to get as far as way as he can when he does go potty. If he has an accident in the house, its awful for him, because of his phobia and plus he already knows he's in trouble for having an accident in the house. Embarassed
He will try to escape out an open door if there is an option to and it's hard to recall him back, its more of a chase to catch him.
He definetly loves being around children(we do not have any of our own) but notice he loves to go towards neighborhood children. He has a tendency to get really excited and hyper around other people and we have to monitor him while he's around small children or other people.
Jager is all around a great dog hug dog to have in the house, but he has some issues that we have tried to work on, with some issues not being corrected. He loves to cuddle at times(describe him as cat like), listens to most commands, just with what I said earlier with the book smart not common sense smart.
I believe I tried to show you how I see it, by having a puggle. Every dog needs some place to belong, I just hope that people take in consideration before getting a certain breed of dog they research as much as possible and talk to people who own the breed of dog.

Candace.N.Seebaugh

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 5/24/2011, 9:55 am

Our next door neighbors have a female puggle named Peaches who is love bug. Really sweet dog, but she definitely inherited that Beagle bark/howl! Laughing
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/24/2011, 10:28 am

Thanks Carol--your experience is worth hearing. I must say, we've never had any puggle as a puppy and that may make a world of difference. All the puggles we've had have been adults and nightmares. Admittedly in rescue, most often we get the dogs after people have screwed them up so not a surprise that the puggles we've had were so difficult.

The All Breed rescue that I foster with has had a couple of puggles from mills as puppies, and they WERE really sweet and have grown into pretty decent dogs.

I think like any breed or mix, you need to know what you might be in for. I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd had issues with aggression with the JRT/Pug crosses, but we never have.

But it is surprising to me how many phone calls I get about puggles biting. And bad biting, not just mouthy behaviour.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Puggles Empty My puggle

Post  Jessica.Waldher 8/18/2011, 11:54 am

I have a 3 yr. old puggle that is great. She isn’t aggressive and is very friendly. Like all dogs they need training and room to run as they are hyper. Puggle puppies can be difficult and stubborn but are all in all a good dog. They might wonder off if something catches their nose, mine will sniff anything and track the sent forever.
Jessica.Waldher
Jessica.Waldher

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 8/18/2011, 5:19 pm

My sister has a puggle. Sweet guy, but dumb as a box of rocks. We joke that he has a reset button and when you correct his behavior it automatically resets to the bad again. He is a great family dog if you can get past the hyperness and beagle bark/howl. I think that training has something to do with it all. My sister's puggle has had no training and it shows. He climbs chairs and tables to get food, runs like a maniac, is pretty much a bull in a china store. If he had some training, things might be a little different. But they have said 100 times that they will never get (they rescue it) another puggle again. (And this is coming from a family that had a wacky beagle previously!)

ETA: my sister has a 3 year old and a 6 month old and he has never acted out towards them. The 3 year old can be rowdy and get into his space, but he knows not to act out. He is good about that!
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  We're Here 8/18/2011, 6:21 pm

So the boy wants to break up with her-- giving a puggle as a gift is a sure way to do it. I really believe a lot of puggles come home as substitutes for correctly bred pugs, and people believe the pug side will surface. As a blend, a puggle would certainly would benefit from obedience training up to agility or fly ball. Sadly, I am looking for a puggle at the moment, the flip side is that the craze has left eastern Oklahoma, either that or patient rescues are sopping up the mess. For good or bad, like tornados there are none left here.

We're Here

Number of posts : 893

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/19/2011, 3:03 pm

northernwitch wrote:
MackandMattiesMom wrote:Thanks for the info, Blanche. I knew there was something I'd heard about them but couldn't remember the specifics. Isn't that what Gidget was that Peg had? The one that ate the alarm clock and anything else she could get her teeth into?
I can't remember exactly. I always thought Gidget was a JRT/Pug cross. We've had alot of those and they've all been really great dogs. Gidget was a wacko, for sure, but we've found most of the Juggs to be good dogs--busy, but not lunatics.

Tell him to read up on beagles. So far, most of the dogs we've had that were the beagle/pug crosses were much more beagle than pug. And if he isn't prepared to deal with beagle behaviour (Including a beagle voice) then he should nix the idea of a puggle. I wouldn't have one, to be honest with you and I like almost all dogs. The number of them that become really serious biters is scary. And many are absolutely dreadful around kids for lots of reasons.

Yup, Gidget the nutjob was a pug/JRT cross. Hyper as hell, and had a cast-iron digestive system. I will never forget picking her up outside Sacramento on the day I picked up Penny and driving home with Gidget in her crate in the back seat.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum