Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me out here.

+7
LisaIzzyAggy
sallyandtilly
Aussie Witch
Not Afraid
Rebecca and the Pugs
Saira
MommaJones
11 posters

Go down

Help me out here. Empty Help me out here.

Post  MommaJones 5/22/2011, 6:10 pm

Freddy Jones was outside for about 10 minutes earlier today. He came inside and was (I thought) reverse sneezing. But it continued on and on and on. So I thought he had eaten something outside and was choking on it. We couldn't see anything in his throat, and he was breathing. If he tried a large inhalation he started the reverse sneezing sounds again. I called the vet and finally got one to call me back. She said it sounded like an upper airway irritation and to give him benadryl and see how he responded. I did that. It has helped. I had a graduation to go to and left him here with Daryl. He said FJ was just slept and only had one small episode while I was gone. When I came home, he got all excited and had lengthy episode. So I'm just wondering where to go from here. Do I call the vet back and have her meet me at the clinic? Do I continue giving benadryl and see how the night progresses? He's sitting on my lap. Some of his inhalations sound raspy, but not all of them. Anyone have any experience here?
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Help me out here. Empty Re: Help me out here.

Post  MommaJones 5/22/2011, 9:02 pm

He ate a good supper, has had some water, peed and pooped. He walks, runs, and his tail is curled. He's on his 2nd benadryl. He stills honks on occassion. I'll give him another benadry at bedtime and see how he does through the night.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/22/2011, 9:16 pm

The only thing I had that was sort of similar was when my last foster had kennel cough-it started with more reverse sneezing before it turned into the cough.

Hope FJ is feeling better soon!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 5/22/2011, 9:25 pm

I haven't had kennel cough in a long time here, but it was a bunch of honking too. I did have one foster that had chronic bronchitis as well.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 5/23/2011, 12:38 am

Foxtail up the nose? A friend's Frenchie had that happen and they had a difficult time diagnosing it, but that's what it ended up being. I'm not sure it is even possible this time of year.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/23/2011, 12:48 am

Hope he's better soon and it doesn't develop into KC.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/23/2011, 9:01 am

He has an appt with the vet at 9am.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/23/2011, 9:43 am

Let us know how he makes out.

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 5/23/2011, 9:53 am

Not Afraid wrote:Foxtail up the nose? A friend's Frenchie had that happen and they had a difficult time diagnosing it, but that's what it ended up being. I'm not sure it is even possible this time of year.

This was my thought too. My friend's dog had that happen.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 5/23/2011, 10:26 am

I hope all is well with Freddy Jones. Let us know what the vet says.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/23/2011, 11:45 am

What a morning. When we got to the vet, she wanted to sedate him to check his upper airway. Then she said he has tiny nostrils and can clip them while he's sedated. I asked questions about the type of anesthesia they use, and she said that they do it customized to the dog and his needs after doing bloodwork. I'm still not sure what that means, but I made sure she was aware of the dangers of anesthesia and pugs. She said that all dogs are constantly monitored while sedated and until awake. I reluctantly signed the paperwork and left him there. She called back and said that the bloodwork showed an infection, so they wouldn't do sedation/surgery. FJ is on 2 weeks of antibiotics and benadryl with a re-check Fri June 3. If the infection is gone, she still wants to clip the nostrils that day.

That gives me time to research to see if this something that needs to be done. I've never had any vet comment on the size of his nostrils. And he's never had breathing problems before this. He doesn't even snore unless he gets his head in a weird position. Toby makes much more noise than FJ. FJ also runs with me 2-3 days a week for 2-2.5 miles, with no breathing problems. So do I let her clip the nostrils?

If you have had any experience with this, please share it with me.

This is a crappy phone pic, but here are his nostrils. I'll try to get a better one later.
New Multimedia Message
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 5/23/2011, 1:02 pm

I just posted on your FB page. LOL

It is hard to tell from that photo, but not all pugs need their nostrils cut back. I feel that if Freddie was going to have problems with that, he'd have had them when he was a lot younger.

Is this a different vet you're seeing?

hug dog
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/23/2011, 1:28 pm

Maryjo wrote:

Is this a different vet you're seeing?

hug dog
Yes, different vet. Every time we go to this clinic, they have a new vets rotating through. The vet that I use for shots, I don't trust for more difficult things. I know for a fact he uses out-dated anesthesia. He did FJ's neuter, before I knew what to ask. FJ did just fine, but I would not want to chance it now that I know better. Out here in the boonies, we don't have a lot of choice on vets. And they seem to start out at local clinics then move on to bigger cities.

FJ is going to be 6 in a few weeks, so I would have thought if the nostrils were a problem it would have showed up long before now.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/23/2011, 1:56 pm

MommaJones wrote:

FJ is going to be 6 in a few weeks, so I would have thought if the nostrils were a problem it would have showed up long before now.

That isn't necessarily true. Some pugs, over time, develop a need for the nare surgery. We have one in right now, Hemmingway, who is 6. He is in need of the nare surgery and elongated soft palette surgery too.

However, I would not do it, if you aren't comfortable with it. Can you get a second opinion? Are you in a position to take a road trip to a bigger city and see a completely different vet?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/23/2011, 2:15 pm

Renee wrote:
MommaJones wrote:

That isn't necessarily true. Some pugs, over time, develop a need for the nare surgery. We have one in right now, Hemmingway, who is 6. He is in need of the nare surgery and elongated soft palette surgery too.

However, I would not do it, if you aren't comfortable with it. Can you get a second opinion? Are you in a position to take a road trip to a bigger city and see a completely different vet?
One thing she wanted to check when he was under sedation is is soft palette. I just didn't realize that problems could suddenly develop from these at his age. I was looking at all the nostrils in this house. Toby's are even smaller than Freddy's. Homer's are HUGE in comparison.

I'm going to be in Kansas City next week taking Alex to football camp. I may see if I can find someone there who could take a look at him. The Jones Boys will be going with us anyway, might as well see what I can find out.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 5/23/2011, 7:08 pm

Nares surgery is often automatically suggested with brachy breeds. Thurston had his done before I even got him at 5 months. In my experience, it has been common for some vets to automatically suggest both nares and soft palate surgery. I've takent Thurston for several second opinions and have been told he doesn't have ESP and doesn't need surgery.

So, get a second opinion by all means. And, keep the foxtail possibility in the back of your mind if the antibiotics don't seem to be working.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 5/23/2011, 7:24 pm

[quote="Not Afraid"]Nares surgery is often automatically suggested with brachy breeds. Thurston had his done before I even got him at 5 months. In my experience, it has been common for some vets to automatically suggest both nares and soft palate surgery. I've takent Thurston for several second opinions and have been told he doesn't have ESP and doesn't need surgery.

I have read about vets suggesting this several different times in order to make money off their clients. it also can happen with vets that are just out of school.

Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 5/23/2011, 10:29 pm

Matilda had the surgery as a puppy. She had slits for nostrils, barely. Running and exercise caused bubbles from her nose. I think it was the right decision for her.

But if Freddy has had no issues up until now, I think the second opinion is a good idea.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 5/24/2011, 9:28 am

I would definitely go with the second opinion and it sounds like you're way ahead of me. I hope Freddy Jones is feeling better quickly and doesn't need any surgery.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum