Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

It's going to be a long summer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It's going to be a long summer

Post  dieselsmom on 5/31/2011, 10:07 pm

Yesterday was our first 80 degree day since last August (ridiculous!!). Anyway, Grace spent all night laying in the bedroom panting. Today it was in the 80s again - she spent the day at daycare, but is now laying in the bedroom panting. We don't have the AC on yet - in fact, I believe our furnace is still on (though it hasn't kicked on for a few days) - because it's simply not yet hot enough for the AC. But Grace seems to be having a really tough time tolerating the heat this year.

Any ideas for keeping them cool in the house? When we're outside, I dip her into the pool to wet her down and keep her cool, but I don't know how to cool her down when she's in the house (short of dunking her in the pool - which she hates).
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: It's going to be a long summer

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 5/31/2011, 10:10 pm

Will she wear one of those cooling vests, or cooling bandanas? I think they even have a cooling mat too. Do you remember at the nameless old place, they had directions on how to make those things?

Last edited by Rebecca and the Pugs on 5/31/2011, 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 5/31/2011, 10:10 pm

What about those cooling bandanas? Not sure how often you'd have to "re-cool" it but it may help keep her generally cooler.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 5/31/2011, 10:11 pm

Amanda wrote:What about those cooling bandanas? Not sure how often you'd have to "re-cool" it but it may help keep her generally cooler.
Or... a frozen BANANA!
Rebecca and the Pugs

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 5/31/2011, 10:13 pm

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:
Amanda wrote:What about those cooling bandanas? Not sure how often you'd have to "re-cool" it but it may help keep her generally cooler.
Or... a frozen BANANA!
That was my first idea! I thought of the mats too. I just know with my girls, they likely wouldn't lay on it, regardless of how hot they were. I'd have to force the coolness on them.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs on 5/31/2011, 10:14 pm

Amanda wrote:
Or... a frozen BANANA!
That was my first idea! I thought of the mats too. I just know with my girls, they likely wouldn't lay on it, regardless of how hot they were. I'd have to force the coolness on them.
Mine would be the same way. They always want to be under a blanket, regardless of temperature.
Rachel, here is a link:
http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/how-to-make-a-canine-cooling-bandana/a3c2a4de-cd1e-1fda-fdf1-6485dd99cef1
Rebecca and the Pugs

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 5/31/2011, 10:14 pm

She'd probably tolerate the cooling bandana. Not sure about the shirt since if I put clothes on her, she rolls around trying to take them off. I have a cooling mat - she refuses to lay on it! I'll have to pick up some of those cooling bandanas when I'm at Walmart tomorrow.

I do have the ceiling fan on in the bedroom - I'm freezing under the covers and she's panting!!! Go figure.
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 on 5/31/2011, 11:07 pm

I keep a spray bottle in the fridge and spray Bella when she gets too hot. Inside or out....
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface on 5/31/2011, 11:36 pm

Or... a frozen BANANA!

Hahaha! That was my first thought, too! I don't have any great suggestions except maybe a fan which someone else already suggested. We had a cooling mat for the dogs also and they refused to lie on it. When we're out and about on a warm day, we resort to the low tech method of just dunking water over their heads once in a while.

smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 5/31/2011, 11:42 pm

Our upstairs always stays hot, and unless I want a 300 a month electricity bill, I keep it at 82. We have a fan going full blast, and I also keep a water bottle and spray them on the mister setting. That seems to help cool them down.
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella on 6/3/2011, 12:43 am

I bought Stella a rediculously expensive cooling vest last year and she refuses to go potty while wearing it. Rolling Eyes I wonder if these would work? http://www.coolrbands.com/?gclid=CKOo98T1mKkCFRRigwodzWwBtA
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 6/3/2011, 12:50 am

Or... a frozen BANANA!

That was on my mind too!!

I'd definitely get a cooling mat.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug on 6/3/2011, 10:32 am

Freeze big milk jugs of water and put them in front of a fan to help cool the air instead of just pushing around warm air.

Otherwise the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler is fantastic IME. Izzie doesn't need it until it hits about 30-35*C (any hotter than that and i don't go outside so that means she doesn't either lol) but it's fantastic and the best cooling coat (well it's more of a vest) that i've ever seen.
http://www.ruffwear.com/Swamp-Cooler-Dog-Cooling-Vest-Sun-Protection-Prevents-Canine-Heat-Exhaustion-from-Ruff-Wear?sc=2&category=12

She's gone hiking in it too and not a single issue with it impeding her movement.

(Holy was she ever fat last summer)
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 on 6/3/2011, 1:33 pm

what's keeping you from putting the A/C on?
I don't understand that.....if you have A/C, you should be using it.....
I could see some of the other suggestions, cooling vest, cooling mat, bandana, fan, etc if you didn't have A/C, but since you do.....why not just put it on??? Wouldn't that be the easiest solution?
It's not too early for the A/C if the pugs are hot.....
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 6/3/2011, 2:04 pm

puglover22 wrote:what's keeping you from putting the A/C on?
I don't understand that.....if you have A/C, you should be using it.....
I could see some of the other suggestions, cooling vest, cooling mat, bandana, fan, etc if you didn't have A/C, but since you do.....why not just put it on??? Wouldn't that be the easiest solution?
It's not too early for the A/C if the pugs are hot.....

I'm not turning the AC on because it's in the 40s at night - the furnace still kicks on at night. It's far too early for AC in Wisconsin.

Don't worry, she wasn't on the verge of overheating and I was refusing to turn the air on (I'm not an idiot, thank you). I was just looking for a quick and easy way to cool her down without turning on the air. I put her in a cool sink of water to get her wet and she was fine.
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 on 6/3/2011, 2:10 pm

Rachel I KNOW you're not an idiot!
you can choke me if you want....
I didn't realize it was 40's at night there.....
we've had the A/C on for weeks now, and have had to switch back to heat once or twice in between just for a night, but have to switch back to A/C the next day because it goes up in the 80-90 range
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top