Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobility

+2
sallyandtilly
Rebecca and the Pugs
6 posters

Go down

Mobility Empty Mobility

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 6/15/2011, 9:00 am

I know many of you have dealt with mobility issues with your pugs. Peachy has had decreased mobility since her seizures. She has a broken hip that was never set, and that is not helping. She can no longer steady herself on her feet without help. When she is able to walk, she walks with really loose hips. Both of her back feet are knuckling. When her back legs give out, she just sits in her slump, or tries to drag herself. I have put throw rugs and yoga mats in her favorite routes on the hardwood floors to give her more traction. I have water bowls in her favorite places so she doesn't have to move to far for water. I have to hold her steady when she has a bowel movement because she has difficulty keeping herself up.

It is just so hard to see them decline so rapidly.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Mobility Empty Re: Mobility

Post  sallyandtilly 6/15/2011, 9:39 am

I wish I could offer you words of advice, but I can only sympathize. It's so very hard when they reach that part of their life. Bless you for loving her and helping her so much.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/15/2011, 10:00 am

sallyandtilly wrote:I wish I could offer you words of advice, but I can only sympathize. It's so very hard when they reach that part of their life. Bless you for loving her and helping her so much.
Ditto. Mobility issues are hard for me as I end up worrying about the dogs a lot.

You've been a God send to her, Rebecca and she's come through so much with your love and help.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/15/2011, 11:35 am

I'm so sorry, Rebecca. You and Peachy are both in my thoughts. Mobility 27965
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/15/2011, 1:06 pm

Rebecca, it is very hard to see them decline and struggle to get around and be mobile. Sounds like you've already done everything I would suggest - yoga mats are fabulous for traction on hardwood! The one good thing about pugs with mobility issues is that they're small, so you can easily carry them around.

Many hugs to you and Peachy.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 6/15/2011, 1:55 pm

I also sympathize, as we are going through a similar decline with Angus. I'm sorry, truly.

Rugs and carpets help, keeping favorite things in a smaller area (including you), we do a little hand feeding when it is a really bad day. Angus wears socks all day, every day, inside and out, to help with stability as well as the sores that will occur with the knuckling under.

Wish I could give more advice but really can only empathize and send my best wishes to you both. Mobility 335895

It hurts my heart to watch my boy--once so strong and vital--become the disabled old man he is today. I can only love him, as you do with Peachy, and make the end of his life a wonderful time where his pain and discomfort is managed and happy things (good food, extra love, etc) are abundant.
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Number of posts : 1892

http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeypigranch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum