Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microchipping

+14
agilepug
PugLady3
juneau hunter
Two Crazy Pugs
Aussie Witch
Puggered
LisaIzzyAggy
thminis
Renee
sallyandtilly
northernwitch
GingerSnap
Saira
MandyPug
18 posters

Go down

Microchipping Empty Microchipping

Post  MandyPug 7/2/2011, 6:20 pm

Tell me your opinions on it. I'm a little uneasy about it, something about injecting a foreign object into my dog that works on radio signals makes me nervous.

Are your dogs microchipped?
Did you microchip them or did a rescue or breeder do it?
Are you comfortable with microchips?
Was your dog awake or under when they were chipped?
If awake, did they fuss and scream?

Thanks. In order for me to get Izzie's CKC Performance Event Number so we can compete in Rally and Obedience, she needs to be microchipped. I wonder if i could get away with buying a microchip and not injecting it... Probably not. She's so good and deserves to be able to compete and earn her titles, but i am just uneasy about chipping.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Microchipping Empty Re: Microchipping

Post  Saira 7/2/2011, 6:23 pm

The benefits far outweigh any risks in my opinion. We've found some of our rescue pugs solely by their microchips. One ended up in Idaho.

All mine are chipped, they were done at the same time they got fixed. I've never had a problem and all our rescue ones are now chipped. No issues there there either.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 7/2/2011, 6:28 pm

Mine are chipped, and I'll chip any dogs I ever have. Sammy's was done by the rescue. Jackson's was done when our local humane society had a low-cost microchip day for the public. They took him in the other room for it, but he didn't make any noise. I was in the room when I had a foster microchipped and he squirmed, but didn't cry.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/2/2011, 6:44 pm

Yes, I generally do chip my animals--dogs and cats. The only reason my black cat, Angel, got returned to us when he went missing for 6 months was because he was chipped and ended up in a shelter an hour and a half away. The shelter was pleasantly shocked that (1) he was chipped and that (2) I was willing to drive 90 minutes to get him and pay the "spring" fee.

Hazel isn't chipped because when she came into rescue and we scanned her, she had multiple chips (4 or 5) so we decided not to chip her (I think). The rescue Tank came from didn't chip him as he was in such rough shape with his allergies, immune system, etc, they felt it was a health risk. He's healthy enough to chip now, but I just never have.

I've chipped dogs asleep and awake and while I prefer to do it while they are under for something else, I've never had any fuss about it from any dog. I've had way more drama from nail trims.

Our rescue chips every dog if they don't have one.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 7/2/2011, 7:19 pm

Tilly came chipped at 8 weeks. I had no choice, but I would chip her if she didn't have one.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/2/2011, 7:49 pm

I agree with the others - the benefits FAR outweigh the risks. Ichiro and Tobey are chipped, and Skeeter is not. I got Skeeter from rescue, and for some reason he was never chipped. I only just figured this out a few months ago (I had assumed he was chipped since he came from rescue), so I plan to have him chipped at his next vet visit. Knock on wood, he is generally healthy and does not go to the vet often.

As a rescue, we chip every dog that comes in, some when they are under for spays or other reasons, and the rest while they are awake in the exam room. Part of the reason we chip is because we list our rescue as the alternate contact. This helps us get the dog back if anything ever happens in the future. Also, we always scan any dog incoming for a chip as the information can be helpful to us.

I'll be honest, the needle is freaking scary looking. No way would I ever want to get poked with that needle. But, truthfully, I have never had a dog react with anything more than discomfort or squirming. Especially pugs, because of the excess rolls.

It is very important for me to have my pugs chipped, because they don't wear collars. They go out for walks in harnesses, otherwise, they wear nothing. No one would have any way to contact us except for the microchip.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 7/2/2011, 7:51 pm

Both of mine are chipped. I agree with the others, the benefits far, far outweigh the risks. If Izzie ever got out (or was stolen), the chances that you would get her back are so slim. She's a cute, well behaved little purebred. She'd be adopted in seconds after a shelter did their holding time. She could get lost by your home, run far, or if you're traveling...like the others have said, cats and dogs sometimes end up so are away. It'd be impossible to call all shelters she could be at.

I also prefer to chip mine when they're under, but by no means does that stop me from being pro microchip. The radiowaves they operate on can't be more harmful than radio waves we surround ourselves with probably each and every day.

The only issue I've seen with microchips is that sometimes they travel a bit (like down a leg). But that's rare and not an issue if the Pet is scanned everywhere (most places with scanners know to check every inch of the dog/cat). I work at a vet's and I've chipped many dogs or cats awake myself. I wouldn't purchase it yourself to do it unless you are a pro at sub q injections. I've heard a horror story of an owner trying to chip their own dog and doing serious damage...but that's because they didn't go sub q. Make sure the chip is at the 135 frequency (I think that's the correct one). Years ago there used to be 2 different frequencies, but pretty much every chip and reader out there now are 135 kHz, I believe. (We used to give 2 microchips due to the different frequencies...that could be why Blanche's Hazel has multiple...along with probably being chipped multiple times). In my whole 5 years of working at the vet's I've never seen an issue or tumor from a chip. I'm sure it's possible, but again, benefits outweigh the risk.

Last edited by thminis on 7/2/2011, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/2/2011, 8:03 pm

thminis wrote: Years ago there used to be 2 different frequencies, but pretty much every chip and reader out there now are 135 kHz, I believe. (We used to give 2 microchips due to the different frequencies...that could be why Blanche's Tank has multiple...along with probably being chipped multiple times). In my whole 5 years of working at the vet's I've never seen an issue or tumor from a chip. I'm sure it's possible, but again, benefits outweigh the risk.
Theresa--I suspect the reason that Hazel has so many chips is that it is common for the commercial greeders to re-chip every dog they get--or they used to. It wasn't uncommon for us to get puppy mill breeding bitches in with multiple chips.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 7/2/2011, 8:04 pm

Both of my girls are microchipped. The vet was able to chip them both while they were out for other things. Like everyone else said, the benefits far outweigh the risks. And I've watched my vet chip other dogs at festivals and most of them act like they don't even feel it.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 7/2/2011, 9:42 pm

Very very occasionally, the laws in Australia can make sense. And one of them introduced a few years back is that all dogs and puppies must be microchipped before sale. Unfortunately, they don't police it, so it's worth squat (sigh) but at least the thought is there...

The needle is a huge scary looking thing, but I've held any number of rescues and pups while they were chipped, a brief squirm is all. Less drama than clipping nails or cleaning ears.

And the value of a definite on the spot identification is worth a hell of a lot more than a moments discomfort.

Don't hesitate to chip her.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 7/2/2011, 9:49 pm

Yeah, Angela said it. No, it's not vigorously policed, but even the disgusting pet shops selling pups and kittens ensure it is done (so puppy mills and byb'ers comply if they want to sell to the pet store trade - YUCK), as do ethical breeders. I think the only people ignoring it are random people breeding the ocassional mutt.

I think it is a good idea to have it done, whether it's compulsory or not.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 7/3/2011, 1:07 am

Well my dog doesn't fuss or squirm to have her nails done (that would make it rather difficult to paint those nails) or her ears cleaned. Plus i think she finds joy in getting her temperature taken at the vet, her tail starts a wagging. So maybe she'll LIKE the needle.

I dunno. If i could get her tattooed instead i totally would. It's apparently law up here too that all pure bred animals must be identified permanently through tattoo or chip when leaving the breeder (from what i've read), but it's not enforced at all... None of the Animal Pedigree Act really is is. Her stupid "breeder" didn't tattoo or chip. Blah.

Well i better find a vet to do it. I need to get this shit done so i have her number in time to register for the local show in November for Obedience and Rally. Now to find a vet that will accept an unvaccinated dog as a new patient (my old vet's receptionist deleted my file because i haven't been vaccinating my dog). I may have to travel to Calgary to a Holistic Vet.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 7/3/2011, 1:21 am

Both mine are microchipped and both were done when under for a surgery. B was chipped during his neuter and Gidget I think when she had bladder stones. Either way, I never considered the negative because of the pros. Collars can fall off, but a microchip can't. I sometimes think kids should be microchipped too! (but we will leave the big brother is watching discussion for later Microchipping 6260 )
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 7/3/2011, 9:13 am

Two Crazy Pugs wrote:Both mine are microchipped and both were done when under for a surgery. B was chipped during his neuter and Gidget I think when she had bladder stones. Either way, I never considered the negative because of the pros. Collars can fall off, but a microchip can't. I sometimes think kids should be microchipped too! (but we will leave the big brother is watching discussion for later Microchipping 6260 )

Hey, I have wondered the same thing! If we can get Mobile Me for Mac products, why can't we inject something into people! At least we would always be able to find the body! ashamed

I had Juneau microchipped when he went in for his neuter. When I got Rosco and Turbo they were scanned but did not have a chip so I took them to the SPCA - they do it for $20 and the vet does the same thing for $40. I have not taken Zorro in yet...but I will.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/3/2011, 11:08 am

Since all of our pugs are rescues, they're all chipped. If they hadn't been, I would've done it anyway for piece of mind (not that any of my old farts would run away but you never know what could happen). As a rescue, we're required by the state to microchip all of the pugs that come through our program, if they don't have one already. And yes, we've had several come through with multiple chips as well - usually former breeder dogs.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 7/6/2011, 8:29 am

All of mine are, Some had them put in while under for spay or dentals, others were awake. Yes, the needle is huge, but mine acted pretty much the same for any vaccine.

Do vets have a problem if you do vaccine titers?

agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 7/6/2011, 10:20 am

agilepug wrote:All of mine are, Some had them put in while under for spay or dentals, others were awake. Yes, the needle is huge, but mine acted pretty much the same for any vaccine.

Do vets have a problem if you do vaccine titers?

The one I went to doesn't have an issue with titers but they make it very costly. About $500 and you have to do it every year. It's around $100 up at the holistic clinics.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 7/7/2011, 4:59 pm

Do we care if the vets does or doesn't like titering? It's not their call. If they refuse to take the sample, you can find another vet who will take the blood, and you can have it sent away to a testing lab. Hemopet in California accepts samples from across North America and charges $75 for rabies and $42 for distemper and parvo: http://www.hemopet.org/files/TEST_REQUEST_FORMandTESTING_DETAILS.pdf

My pugs are all chipped rescues. Just a reminder to update your contact information if you move or change phone numbers so that the company can find you if they need to reunite you with your pet.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 7/11/2011, 7:26 pm

For military members in japan microchipping your pets is required.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 7/14/2011, 12:21 pm

"I dunno. If i could get her tattooed instead i totally would."
Apparently, you don't have any tats.LOL! They hurt a lot worse, for a longer interval, than chipping. Minni was chipped while awake( I didn't want to wait.) Anything to increase the chance of getting her back if she happened to get lost or stolen.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 7/14/2011, 1:02 pm

Are your dogs microchipped? - YUP.
Did you microchip them or did a rescue or breeder do it? TWO CAME CHIPPED, I CHIPPED TWO.
Are you comfortable with microchips? YES - I WAS ONLY WORRIED ABOUT THE PLACE WHERE THE INJECTING PERSON WORKED (see below)
Was your dog awake or under when they were chipped? WIIIIDE AWAKE!
If awake, did they fuss and scream? NOT IN THE LEAST!

My panic about the MSPCA where I took Tigger for his chip injection was that they warned me AFTER I was inside and exposed that they were not a ____-free space (something I had innoculated him against, but for which there are no guarantees... it was probably bortadella (kennel cough), but I was new and didn't know! They also asked me if he had problems with shots since this was "bigger" than most... well, I had only just gotten him, so I didn't know!

Anyhow, he came through it like a trouper... and to be honest, I don't really think my pugs "need" the chips given the life we live - they don't "take off"... but I had never had trained dogs before, so again, I didn't know, and I am comforted knowing they have the chip in them!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum