Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Post here Ideas for keeping pugs cool

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post here Ideas for keeping pugs cool

Post  pugmom on 7/22/2011, 5:07 pm

I do not know if this is the right place or not.

In this current wretched heat wave I think we should all share our ideas for keeping the pugs cool when we have to take them out to pee and poop!

For anyone who takes their pug out on a leash and use a harness, this works very good.

I take a white finger-tip or guest type towel and run very cold water over it, squeeze it out and lay it on Ty's back. Then I put on his harness. The towel does stay in place long enough for him to get his outside business done! It does help that he is old and very easy going so does not care if something is on his back.

Anyone have other suggestions?
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Re: Post here Ideas for keeping pugs cool

Post  SacramentoPugs on 7/22/2011, 5:26 pm

Marlee loves to lick ice cubes when it's hot. Sometimes I'll make them into a treat for her, using watered-down chicken stock to make the ice, or adding pieces of diced fruit before freezing.
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly on 7/22/2011, 5:39 pm

To cool Tilly off I use a small towel too. I wet it and drape it over her or if she is in her crate, I place it beside her bedding. That way she can choose to use it or not. I also carry her over hot cement to do her business and if she pants too much when we come back in, I stick her feet in water and splash some on her tummy too.
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 7/22/2011, 6:33 pm

For all the razzing that's been done about Sham-Wows, I will say that they retain cool water better than anything I've found. When I'm taking the dogs out in the heat--I take one soaked in water in a baggie and use it to wipe them down and cool them off. I also pour cool water over their fur before we head out.

I found "freezable" cutting board things at a dollar store and freeze them, cover them with an old towel and put them in either the back seat or a crate (depending on where we are going) to keep them cool. It's also very handy after going to the park--even at 8 at night it's still pretty hot and the frozen cutting boards are perfect.
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 7/22/2011, 7:23 pm

I put them in the kiddie pool and pour water on their bellies and over their backs, so they're good and soaked. Best way I've found to cool them off.
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface on 7/22/2011, 7:31 pm

We don't have the horrible humidity of most of the country, but we fill up an old plastic water bottle and just keep pouring water over them as we walk. When we used to take car trips with the pugs in hot weather, we would freeze wet wash cloths and store them in plastic baggies in a cooler in the car, and take out as necessary.
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones on 7/22/2011, 8:50 pm

I can't believe no one has suggested a frozen banana!
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 7/22/2011, 8:58 pm

MommaJones wrote:I can't believe no one has suggested a frozen banana!
I thought about it! But then decided that I would for once be serious....
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid on 7/22/2011, 9:09 pm

I have these little cool coats I use in Palm Springs or on really hot days here. Inside, are little packets that, when you soak them in water, they retain the water for a long time. I put them in the refrigerator so they are extra cold. The packets are in a fabric "saddle" that goes over their neck and back with elastic straps that you put around their front legs. Genius! However, I've only seen them one place - at the Bulldog/Pug/Frenchie beauty contest that happens in May.

I need to track them down because ours have disappeared (probably left in the refrigerator in Palm Springs last October :( ) If I could find those little magic packets, I'd just make some.
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 7/22/2011, 9:29 pm

These things are big sellers and do keep dogs nice and cool. Kim Walkem (for those of you who remember her from PV and her Village Pugs costume) uses them for her guys..

www.pawsazz.com.
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top