Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period

4 posters

Go down

Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period Empty Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period

Post  Puggered 7/24/2011, 11:50 am

Okay there is soooo much conflicting information out there I'm going to pick the brains of the PA collective to help me to decide on a course of action.

Ok the incubation period is usually around 3 -5 days from the time of exposure, right? And the minimum official quarantine time with known exposure cases is 21 days, but really it should be at least a month because they are still shedding a decent amount of virus.

I have heard some say that they are shedding virus for up to 14 weeks from infection (yikes!!!) but most sources say you should isolate for a month.

The question is: if you have a dog arrive from a known infectious situation, but that dog did/does not appear to have any symptoms, it's 15 days later, would you be exposing other dogs to that dog?

I'm asking because I did a rescue transport recently, hauling 3 dogs, 10 puppies, 3 litters of kittens and two cats. They all came from the same pound (kill shelter) all the puppies were quite sick with KC. The transport was on 10 August.

Today someone I'm dealing with on another rescue related matter told me she was interested in one of the dogs from that trip and had just been offered a meet and greet to see if it got along with her existing dog. I haven't said a word to her, or to the rescue concerned but I'm worried that they are merrily spreading the virus everywhere.

Should I be worried? Should I speak up or shut up? Opinions, please?
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period Empty Re: Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period

Post  Renee 7/24/2011, 2:08 pm

Well, my very uneducated answer would be to speak up, and say it is quite common for rescues to have KC, and that they are much more prone to getting a bad case due to the stress to their bodies... but, at the same time, KC is like a cold, so it is not a death sentence. Then, leave it up to the potential adopter if she would like to meet and greet or wait a bit longer. If it has been 15 days with no symptoms, then you are likely fine.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period Empty Re: Kennel cough - quarantine and incubation period

Post  northernwitch 7/24/2011, 2:25 pm

Yep--what Renee said. I always alert people to the "possibility" of KC. But don't sweat it that much unless there is a very young, very old or very immune compromised dog in the group.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 7/24/2011, 11:16 pm

Thanks people! I can keep my mouth shut with a clear conscience now! Just drop a quiet "heads up" to the prospective adopter - who does currently have a dog with a compromised immune system.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 7/25/2011, 3:22 pm

15 days without displaying symptoms should mean you're in the clear. We see a lot of kennel cough at the shelter.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down