Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Another MCT question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another MCT question

Post  Amanda on 8/15/2011, 2:42 pm

Nancy's comment about watching Penny's "skin tags" for a couple years, without change, got me thinking. I know MCT are known to change size, whether on their own or by being "messed with" due to the histamine response. If let go, will they eventually just start to get larger and larger? Say for example (and I wouldn't do this!) that someone just let an MCT go untreated. Would it metastasize like other cancers? Would more bumps likely appear or would it typically begin to cause other internal/systemic issues? It seems that even though they are a cancer that they don't (thankfully) seem to cause too many additional health issues. Is that what most of you have seen in general with these? I did know someone (on PV; can't remember her name) whose older pug had become quite sick from recurrent MCTs but I don't usually hear much about them causing illness generally. Just curious what others have heard/experienced.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Another MCT question

Post  smoochieface on 8/15/2011, 2:50 pm

Waht our vet told us is that it depends on the type of MCT tumor, it's location, and it's characteristics. Some are easy to remove and would have been very slow growing anyways (like the one Chester had). Some are harder to remove or are not good candidates for removal - I believe for those, the treatment is a serious dose of Benadryl plus something else (I don't remember). But I think that the vet needs to look at each individual tumor and decide.

I know that for Chester's tumor on his back, it didn't look like an MCT even to our vet. He thought it was just a benign lipoma or something like that. We decided to remove it and he saw it was MCT during the pathology. You never can tell with these things.
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 8/15/2011, 2:53 pm

Same here. Lucy's was so small and kinda "dry" and the vet even said it looked like nothing. He aspirated it (not sure how he really even got anything out of it) and found it was an MCT.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 8/15/2011, 3:09 pm

The thing with MCT's is that each one can have so many different characteristics to another that it's so hard to generalise. I forget how many I have dealt with on my Pugs over the years, but the one thing that's the same with all of them is get them off as soon as possible and always treat any bump or lump as an MCT until proven by a lab to be otherwise. The one piece of good news (in my experience any way) is that even with the worst kind they have all been removed successfully and treated (if further treatment was necessary) successfully.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 8/15/2011, 3:38 pm

One reason I'm asking is that if this is another MCT, I'm considering trying the cancer vaccine that one of our portfolio companies is working on. I've been emailing back and forth with our employee who administers the treatment. My initial concern (I couldn't remember the exact procedure) was that they had to treat the existing tumor which would mean not removing it and I wasn't comfortable with that. She said, though, that she needs a piece of the tumor so it would get removed. So we would get rid of the tumor and then on top of it hopefully have the vaccine help in preventing any further MCTs from popping up (and would also potentially treat any that she could have internally). It's a vaccine that uses the dog's own blood cells so it either helps or does nothing. There's no risk in it hurting her.

Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 8/15/2011, 3:44 pm

I would seriously consider giving it a go, but only if any lumps were removed. It's not so much the lump itself that scares me, but what they cause to happen with metastasis
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top